pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Tax Interview  (Read 28455 times)

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2015, 19:52 »
+1
I'm reading this thread, and is making me afraid of opening the form....because this interview is sounding so much more complicated than filling a regular W9 form if you are in the USA????   Is this form a catch all sort of thing for people worldwide??

With a regular W9 form is pretty straight forward...

I'm a US taxpayer and it wasn't hard to fill out - once you identify as a US resident (I think it asked about citizenship too, but I don't remember) - it's as straightforward as filling out a W-9.

No Free Lunch

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2015, 21:11 »
I'm reading this thread, and is making me afraid of opening the form....because this interview is sounding so much more complicated than filling a regular W9 form if you are in the USA????   Is this form a catch all sort of thing for people worldwide??

With a regular W9 form is pretty straight forward...

I'm a US taxpayer and it wasn't hard to fill out - once you identify as a US resident (I think it asked about citizenship too, but I don't remember) - it's as straightforward as filling out a W-9.

are you sure Seattle is part of the States? Rumor has it that the Seahawks are out of this world!  :)

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2015, 01:15 »
+1
are you sure Seattle is part of the States? Rumor has it that the Seahawks are out of this world!  :)

I am the polar opposite of a sports fan - can't stand 99% of it :) Not the football I grew up with (England) or the sports of my current home - I try to keep up enough to carry on a conversation and not sound like I come from Mars, but that's as far as I go.

But I hear there are a few fans in the area who are just a tad excited about an event next Sunday...

PZF

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2015, 03:09 »
+1
Thanks Teddy the Cat and others!

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2015, 06:48 »
+1
Took a lot of attempts to accept my UK NI number for the TIN.  Why do they need that when most other sites don't ask for it?  I almost gave up and closed my account.

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2015, 09:56 »
I can't even type in the form? I'm using Firefox. Should I try Chrome instead?

Edit: Never mind. I had to go back to fill in my Foreign TIN on one of the previous pages.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:04 by Noedelhap »

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2015, 12:18 »
I realized I answered the questions about the number of days I was in the USA incorrectly - wrong number of days and I put them in the wrong year. I don't know how much it matters so I went back and redid the interview. I'm crossing my fingers that I did the right thing.

PZF

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2015, 12:32 »
OK, tax papers done. Now to Payment Option!
I see cheque is still there. Great. Name email etc ok. But when I put my address in the address box it says Ooops please enter a valid address.
????
Anybody any idea?

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2015, 02:13 »
And I am confused. I am US resident, help me please about the last one of form. I don't know what I must fill.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2015, 09:14 »
+1
Payment Option:

Now I see what people are talking about. I looked at mine and it said None. So I added my PayPal address. Clicked SAVE and looked, it still said none, so I added it a second time and now it took.

So after the tax interview, apparently I had to reset the payment option? Kind of strange, because I thought that was in the tax interview.

They could make it more confusing. I mean, now I click Tax Interview and it says this... "Do not update your tax information using our tax interview if you want to be the payee for the account. A change of payee requires a change to your agreement."

What?

« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2015, 08:13 »
+1
And I am confused. I am US resident, help me please about the last one of form. I don't know what I must fill.

Seems to me you have to tick each checkbox as a confirmation of what you've filled in previously, then type in your name, date and your e-mail address.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2015, 09:30 »
+1
Is there any way to know it  has been successfully received by them? I still get the warning/ reminder when I log in and I submitted it a couple of days ago.

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2015, 10:02 »
Hi everyone, may I know whether I need to fill in the Tax interview or not if I'm Malaysian?Thanks

From iStock's FAQ:

"What happens if I don't do the Tax Interview?

You will be subject to maximum withholding tax."

So I'm not going to bother since there is no relevant tax treaty between Qatar and the US, I'll end up with 30% tax on all US-based sales regardless of whether I waste my time filling in the form or not.

It's another little cut in earnings.

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2015, 18:12 »
+2
"What happens if I don't do the Tax Interview?

You will be subject to maximum withholding tax."

So I'm not going to bother since there is no relevant tax treaty between Qatar and the US, I'll end up with 30% tax on all US-based sales regardless of whether I waste my time filling in the form or not.

It is to your advantage to complete the interview. This is the explanation:

I am also tax resident in a non-treaty jurisdiction. According to Lobo: if we (people like you and I) do not fill in the tax interview then we will be subject to 30% withholding on US sales and 28% on everything else. If we complete the interview we will only be subject to US tax on US sales.

PS - You have to remember that part of the purpose of the interview (from the US govt perspective) is to identify US citizens living abroad. US citizens are subject to US tax wherever they live. Completing the interview is therefore also about identifying yourself as not being a US citizen.

Here is Lobo's post in which this issue is specifically addressed:

Even if youre not in a treaty country its still extremely beneficial to you to complete a US tax form via our tax interview.

If you do not complete the interview your payments will be taxed at 30% for US sales and 28% for non US sales.

If you complete the tax interview, but are not in a treaty country, your payments will be taxed at 30% for US sales and 0% for non US sales.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 18:25 by bunhill »

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2015, 18:24 »
+1
Thanks for that info, Bunhill. 
I must say that I am flabbergasted that they impose a tax on non-taxable income just for not filling in a bloody form.

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2015, 18:26 »
I will be studying the statements carefully to check that they stick to it.

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2015, 18:28 »
I must say that I am flabbergasted that they impose a tax on non-taxable income just for not filling in a bloody form.

Render unto Caesar etc heh !

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2015, 18:53 »

Render unto Caesar etc heh !

A line that I've always suspected was written and inserted into the text by Saint Constantine the Great.

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2015, 01:57 »
+1

Seems to me you have to tick each checkbox as a confirmation of what you've filled in previously, then type in your name, date and your e-mail address.
Noedelhap - Thanks a lot!

Uncle Pete

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2015, 12:54 »
THEY is the USA IRS not Getty/IS. Just for anyone who's reading along and might have thought that Getty had anything to do with this new requirement.

The IRS requires US businesses to obtain and track this data. I have to fill these out over and over for suppliers and for some reason some customers require them.

The state requires, SALES AND USE TAX EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE be on file for every one of my customers, so I don't have to collect Sales tax, county tax, and stadium taxes.

Pretty much an entire four drawer filing cabinet that's just tax forms and documentation, in case they want to come through and have me show it to them.  :-\

Thanks for that info, Bunhill. 

w7lwi

• Those that don't stand up to evil enable evil.
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2015, 14:58 »
My payout selection also did not come up, but I went ahead and manually selected it and filled it out.  Everything was fairly straight forward.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2015, 10:36 »
It's not in the tax interview, it's the box above it. At least that's how I missed that I needed to fill it in.  :) On your profile page for anyone else looking, Just click your name / ID in the upper right of the login page.

My payout selection also did not come up, but I went ahead and manually selected it and filled it out.  Everything was fairly straight forward.

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2015, 16:39 »
This is so clunky in Firefox. I had better luck filling this in Chrome.

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2015, 18:37 »
I just noticed my payment information was still Payoneer. Then when I tried to change it to Paypal, it still was Payoneer. How hard can it be to make it WORK for once?
(And yes, I tried again, and the second time it accepted the Paypal option, but still...)

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2015, 23:37 »
hmmm
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 19:33 by goober »