MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Disgusting Corp World  (Read 2958 times)

« on: January 24, 2015, 04:37 »
+1
"The Getty photographic agency is charging a fortune for rare footage of Japans ISIS hostage. Where do we draw the line between good capitalism and profiting from misery?"

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/23/getty-s-crazy-isis-photo-ransom.html

:-X
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:14 by KnowYourOnions »

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 06:21 »
+1
Doesn't need to be corporate.  There was an accident in the city where I work recently where a child in a pram went under the wheels of a truck and emergency services hampered by fools with iphones recording it..

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 09:10 »
+1
I wouldn't call $1000 a fortune for an exclusive video that can't be duplicated - seems like a reasonable price to me or maybe even cheap, and of course is only possible if someone is willing to pay it.  It's easy for her to criticize someone else's asking price when she wasn't the one who made the video.  Selling it for a few dollars would be more disgusting.  Whether they should be profiting from someone else's misfortune at all is another question.  However, any photographer crazy enough to put themselves in harm's way in a war zone should certainly be well compensated for their risks.  For me if it comes down to a choice between going to Syria to photograph ISIS or doing another isolated apple in my studio then the apple shot suddenly becomes much more interesting - I'd rather keep my head attached to the rest of my body for as long as possible, even if it means being poor.  Anyone who chooses the opposite should be paid well - Getty is just doing their job in this case.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 10:54 »
+2
I wouldn't call $1000 a fortune for an exclusive video that can't be duplicated - seems like a reasonable price to me or maybe even cheap, and of course is only possible if someone is willing to pay it.  It's easy for her to criticize someone else's asking price when she wasn't the one who made the video.  Selling it for a few dollars would be more disgusting.  Whether they should be profiting from someone else's misfortune at all is another question.  However, any photographer crazy enough to put themselves in harm's way in a war zone should certainly be well compensated for their risks.  For me if it comes down to a choice between going to Syria to photograph ISIS or doing another isolated apple in my studio then the apple shot suddenly becomes much more interesting - I'd rather keep my head attached to the rest of my body for as long as possible, even if it means being poor.  Anyone who chooses the opposite should be paid well - Getty is just doing their job in this case.

Getty should NOT profit from this, and I hope all money collected will go to Kenji's family.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 18:38 by KnowYourOnions »

No Free Lunch

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 11:22 »
The Getty photographic agency is charging a fortune for rare footage of Japans ISIS hostage. Where do we draw the line between good capitalism and profiting from misery?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/23/getty-s-crazy-isis-photo-ransom.html

:-X

'Good capitalism' is for 'Profiting' ...