MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Fotolia beats Shutterstock  (Read 23190 times)

« on: February 01, 2015, 01:58 »
+2
This month my earnings from Fotolia stayed ahead of Shutterstock every day, the entire month and finished higher as well by 8%!. (Both closed above my minimum payout.)
I have no explanation.

I have a small portfolio (300-350 images) with more accepted at Shutterstock. And, like most of you, my SS earnings have historically been way, way more than FT, DT, and BS combined.

Until this month.

My SOD have dropped to nothing on SS for the past few months (which was where the earning difference was), but FT just kept on going steady every day.

SS has been dropping the past several months for me; but this really took me by surprise.
Am I all alone in this experience, or have any of the rest of you had similar experiences?

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:03 »
No you are not alone, my sales on FT, 123RF and DT have been exceeding those on shutterstock for some time now. I think the search has been adjusted to heavily favor content that reduces shutterstock's "Cost Of Sales".

MxR

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:01 »

In percentege on earnings : Fotolia 3 Shutter 4

In downloads Fotolia 2 Shutter 3

For me is a question of time. Terrible.

Subscriptions make Shutter n1

Dollar Club +subscriptions make fotolia future number 1

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 08:16 »
No change for me. I too have a small portfolio and hardly upload anything these days. January though, will be my first pay-out from Shutterstock in consecutive months. I'm quite pleased with that. Perhaps it should motivate me to shoot some more stock and get uploading again!

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 09:10 »
This month my earnings from Fotolia stayed ahead of Shutterstock every day, the entire month and finished higher as well by 8%!. (Both closed above my minimum payout.)
I have no explanation.

I have a small portfolio (300-350 images) with more accepted at Shutterstock. And, like most of you, my SS earnings have historically been way, way more than FT, DT, and BS combined.

Until this month.

My SOD have dropped to nothing on SS for the past few months (which was where the earning difference was), but FT just kept on going steady every day.

SS has been dropping the past several months for me; but this really took me by surprise.
Am I all alone in this experience, or have any of the rest of you had similar experiences?

Are you opted-in to DPC?

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:25 »
+3
Not at all!
Shutter 70%
Fot 20%
the rest  is the rest.

That goes for January 2015 and in the past. Its very consistant.

(Contributer since 2007, 2-3000 files.)

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 09:53 »
+1
Congratulations on your good sales on FT.  For me Ft made about 8% as much as SS, which is a little below the average of around 10%.  This is different from December where it was 24%, but this month it was closer to normal.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 11:01 »
+8
Shutterstock 53%
Fotolia 4%

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 11:48 »
+13
fotolia must be giving some contributors better search placement or some other kind of special treatment..

otherwise, I don`t see how it is even remotely possible for fotolia to out-perform Shutterstock..

I make more in a weekday on Shutterstock than what I make on fotolia in a month..

fotolia is one of my worst earners, I wouldn't even notice if it goes down..

it's either;
- a vector specific case
or;
- I was too late to join, that I couldn't reach emerald before the thresholds were increased..

whatever it is, this thread is as puzzling for me as they get..
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:53 by cidepix »

Snow

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 12:19 »
fotolia must be giving some contributors better search placement or some other kind of special treatment..

What makes you think other agencies don't do that? It's all about special treatments in stock.
Always amazes me that contributors that have been at this for many years still have no clue how this business works.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 12:59 »
+6
Fotolia is in last place for me.  Even BigStock makes more every month.  But it might be because I'm not opted into DPC.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 13:00 »
+6
Fotolia 0%

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 13:10 »
+6
Fotolia isnt consistently. One month your earnings can be good, the other one the earnings are worst.

Shutterstock is consistently.

Shutterstock: 70%

FT: 15%

Rest is the rest.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 13:22 »
+4
Are you paid by fotolia?

500% more ss then fotolia, fotolia is not fair agency.

I have no explanation.

Until this month.

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 14:10 »
you mention SOD has dropped to nothing months.
which to me tells that your uptick in ss was not due to regular sales like majority of us who consistently make payout with regular dls.
so, removing SOD as someone pointed out before, SOD is not a barometer to measure success as it is more like your life-saving monthly.
i am wrong or not, that your sales without SOD in both ft and ss are not regular.
i say this because as bolsher say is true, ss is consistent. all others is flash in the pan.

correct me if wrong. 8)

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 15:22 »
+6
I'm not with Fotolia, but SS for Jan 2015 was up about 22% over Jan 2014 (with only very minimal uploads last year). I'm at the 38 cent level, so should be seeing a decline if they were favoring new contributors

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 17:10 »
+1

What makes you think other agencies don't do that? It's all about special treatments in stock.
Always amazes me that contributors that have been at this for many years still have no clue how this business works.

When fotolia, - a supposedly big 4 site -,  makes half the amount of bigstock, canstock and envato; and is on par with the likes of yay, gl, veer etc. you know something is not right.. I make regular monthly payouts even on low earners and bottom feeders.. when you have as much data as I do, it is pretty easy to spot that something is weird.. poll results are very accurate for me except fotolia..

Batman

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 19:51 »
+3

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 19:53 »
+3

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 04:05 »
+7

When fotolia, - a supposedly big 4 site -,  makes half the amount of bigstock, canstock and envato; and is on par with the likes of yay, gl, veer etc. you know something is not right.. I make regular monthly payouts even on low earners and bottom feeders.. when you have as much data as I do, it is pretty easy to spot that something is weird.. poll results are very accurate for me except fotolia..

So with all this "data" you have you werent able to find out that FT is big in EUROPE and not the US? Fotolia is the No.2 agency for most european contributers.

"Local" images get a better search placement. If a european buyers searches for "money" he wants to see and not $ images. Thats the same at pretty much every agency. There is no need for conspiracy theories about "special treatments".

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 07:51 »
Fotolia is at 3 for me maybe cos I'm European

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 08:55 »
+2

So with all this "data" you have you werent able to find out that FT is big in EUROPE and not the US? Fotolia is the No.2 agency for most european contributers.

"Local" images get a better search placement. If a european buyers searches for "money" he wants to see and not $ images. Thats the same at pretty much every agency. There is no need for conspiracy theories about "special treatments".

a "great post" full of unsupported assumptions..

1- I am not a US person
2- I don't have localized content.. If anything, I probably have "one of the most universal" ports around.. if I do have some local content, it is european..
3- My US sales on Shutterstock (for example) are less than 1/3 of my total SS sales.. most sales come from Europe and other parts of the world..
4- also, I have enough sales on my personal "sites" to clearly see that my sales are universal, not local.. the same image gets about the same attention on all parts of the world..

if anything, your post totally supports my opinion.. fotolia is the only agency that delivers strange results..

you are bound to think like me when you are making regular monthly payouts on low earners and fotolia is hardly on par with those smaller players.. surely it's not the content.. bad content doesn't make monthly payouts on low earners..

I may be wrong about "special treatment and placement" but there must be a logical explanation and yours is not a good one in this case..

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 09:36 »
Last month Fotolia was 90% of my SS income. When selling photos they sometimes outsell SS anyway, it is just the video income that keeps SS ahead of the others.

I think European artists have an advantage because Europe is still their main market, also many people here send a lot of exclusive content to Fotolia and that pulls up the overall visibility. There are many artists in Germany who believe Fotolia is a homegrown German agency, but that is because they are so heavily visible in all things photography over here.

Will be interesting to see how they develop now that Adobe has taken over.

eta: I am not opted in to dpc.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 14:12 by cobalt »

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 09:42 »
+5
I'm also from EU and I noticed a significant increase in sales for FT !