pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Fotolia beats Shutterstock  (Read 23186 times)

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 13:36 »
+1
Fotolia 0%

Same for me

And me!

Did you all get booted from Fotolia?

http://www.microstockgroup.com/fotolia-com/fotolia-still-at-it-they-closed-my-account/

I did. But they beat me to it. I had planned to get out of their crummy agency once i got back from a road trip i was on but in the middle of that trip "the chad" beat me to it.

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 13:44 »
+4
Fotolia 0%

Same for me

And me!

Did you all get booted from Fotolia?

http://www.microstockgroup.com/fotolia-com/fotolia-still-at-it-they-closed-my-account/

I did. But they beat me to it. I had planned to get out of their crummy agency once i got back from a road trip i was on but in the middle of that trip "the chad" beat me to it.

I can not say that I blame you for wanting to drop them, sorry you did not beat them to it.

Based on their not so honorable actions over time, I cringe when I see them beat out earnings on sites which treat their contributors better.

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 15:12 »
+11
I can't imagine a parallel universe exists where Fotolia could possibly outsell Shutterstock?

stock-will-eat-itself

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 18:25 »
+4

I can't imagine a parallel universe exists where Fotolia could possibly outsell Shutterstock?

Exact same thing used to be said in relation to iS and SS, stranger things have happened.

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 20:22 »
+3

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 00:10 »
+4
Left FT - they still owe me $ and promised to send it but never did - I'll be really bummed if they outdo SS because they are terrible to deal with. Just my opinion. It will be interesting to watch now that they're aligned with Adobe but I hate that people can license through DPC and use them in images for resale - I just can't wrap my head around allowing that. When I got $4 for my first extended license there, I knew I'd made a mistake signing up with them. If you're at a higher level though if I recall you can set your EL prices higher and if you opt out of DPC I would imagine it's a viable alternative for some.

Best of luck to the OP - hope you keep doing well there. Everyone's portfolio is different. I have a tiny port at DT (<200 images) and beat the average here every month - even in bad months. That's why all these places are still in business - they must be licensing someone's work.

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 00:21 »
+3

FT is not outselling SS for me, but each month my income from FT grows and each month is lower on SS.    I wish the reverse is true. 

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 13:42 »
+2
Last month Fotolia made me more money than SS by 10%, but less downloads 38%.

Snow

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 14:28 »
+1
I am EU and FT is now at 1/4th of my normal earnings for the last couple of months so no, EU doesn't get better treatment.
One day I'll kick them too if they keep this up.

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2015, 14:45 »
+9
I left FT on my own like many others who wouldn't take the insulting owners anymore.

+1
And, more importantly, because I was no longer reasonably certain that they were honest in their financial dealings with me and other contributors (a complaint I've never had against iStock, for example, despite disliking many policies that iS have imposed).

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2015, 14:49 »
+1
"Fotolia beats Shutterstock" - not in my Universe, although I do subscribe to the multiple universe/dimension theory.

FT are performing very well and I enjoyed a BME there in January - but they are still being comprehensively beaten into third place. Let's see what those hippies over at Adobe can do.

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 03:31 »
FT is still far down from IS and SS for me...

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2015, 14:46 »
+2
Wow! What a wonderful and varied collection of responses! Thank you all!

I guess it just underlines what we all kinda know. Our different experiences may be due to the type of images (subject matter and the "story" the image tells.) And, I think it also shows that in microstock, the only important comparison you can make is how your own portfolio does in relation to your own history.

This is not to say that sales trends don't exist; but that they probably don't give us a complete picture. Still, very helpful. (When I began submitting a couple of years ago, thanks to this board you can bet I DID NOT begin with Canstock or Envato!)
To answer on question, yes, I did opt out of the dollar club. No thank you.

Also, the January sales I gave were the result of  a "perfect storm of FT doing better and SS doing worse. Also, a few of my best sellers at FT were rejected by SS.

But, as I mentioned in my original post, I think a lot of that was getting no SOD from FT. One $28 sale REALLY changes things! And in fact, now (a week into February) the trend continued with FT staying about 10% more in sales every day than SS. But that changed yesterday when I got a $28 sale on SS. Game over for this month. I can't see FT catching up, so SS is back in first place for me. Still, for the second month in a row, even at this early date, it looks like I'll make my minimum from FT in one month.
So, I dunno. Maybe Adobe plays into this somehow. Guess we'll all have to stay tuned for that one.

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2015, 15:59 »
+3
I am from Europe. When Fotolia joins Adobe my sales constantly decline ..

In last week my 7 day rank fall from 300 to 1200!! From 230+ sold photos to only 30 sold photos on week. Strange, very strange!

In last month I upload more than 80 high quality photos but only few photos accepted. They rejected almost all, reason similar images. Very frustrating. Is this happend only me or have someone else this problems too?

Shutterstock is OK!

Sorry for bad english.

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2015, 16:06 »
I didn't have similars ever rejected at FT. But I didn't upload yet this month.  No problems in January tho.

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 07:26 »
In 2014, FT makes 18% of the money that SS made. In 2/15, it is 67 %. So, FT is improving for me. 

Batman

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2015, 00:45 »
This month my earnings from Fotolia stayed ahead of Shutterstock every day, the entire month and finished higher as well by 8%!. (Both closed above my minimum payout.)
I have no explanation.

I have a small portfolio (300-350 images) with more accepted at Shutterstock. And, like most of you, my SS earnings have historically been way, way more than FT, DT, and BS combined.

Until this month.

My SOD have dropped to nothing on SS for the past few months (which was where the earning difference was), but FT just kept on going steady every day.

SS has been dropping the past several months for me; but this really took me by surprise.
Am I all alone in this experience, or have any of the rest of you had similar experiences?

1 el makes FT beat SS and the haters get all excited.

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2015, 03:31 »
fotolia is 20-25% of SS, landscapes could me much lover

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2015, 03:34 »
"Fotolia beats Shutterstock" Not for me. SS 1 Fotolia 3 or some times 4 place. And let me say in comparison SS FT the deficient system of manage pictures after submission and the inconsistent criteria from  FT revisors. Some of my best selling files at SS were rejected by FT. I think they never will be better than SS for contributors at least.

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2015, 03:49 »
+1
Some of my best selling files at SS were rejected by FT. I think they never will be better than SS for contributors at least.

The opposite is also valid

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2015, 03:54 »
Fotolia beats shutterstock, second month in a row.
Earnings 14% more, sales 14% less.

MxR

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2015, 07:15 »
+3
First; i hate Fotolia and Shutter: these two agencies invented ways to pay less for our work...

All microstocker from europe who i know are growing in fotolia more han Shutter.

Why people are Shutter fan and them cry when they rejects photos for stupid reasons?

Now thanks to shutter the average price of a photo is 40 cents and thanks to fotolia can buy a photo for a dollar.

And both are successful and are imitated

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2015, 07:54 »
+3
I have had a couple of ELs in the last few days and even otherwise much more sales as before. Ask me why, but it's sure: something has changed  :( :o

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2015, 08:30 »
+4
First; i hate Fotolia and Shutter: these two agencies invented ways to pay less for our work...
All microstocker from europe who i know are growing in fotolia more han Shutter.
Why people are Shutter fan and them cry when they rejects photos for stupid reasons?
Now thinks to shutter the average price of a photo is 40 cents and thanks to fotolia can buy a photo for a dollar.
And both are successful and are imitated

Yes and no. If I summed my total stock income in recent years, Shutterstock leads by a wide margin. This is the point, and no other agency has beaten Shutterstock so far.

ogm

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2015, 03:42 »
I guess the FT rising is also due to Euro currency fall! Recently the customers with $ could buy 1 credit 10-15% cheaper then last year!