MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is FREE the new black?  (Read 15685 times)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:29 by KnowYourOnions »

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 03:45 »
+1

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 05:27 »
+14
Is this thread a special resource for the convenience of people who don't want to pay for our pictures?

Semmick Photo

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 05:45 »
+19
Sad to see Canva is doing that.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 06:12 »
Is this thread a special resource for the convenience of people who don't want to pay for our pictures?

we better be aware of this trend...but yes, happy to delete it if you guys think this is counterproductive.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 06:50 »
+10
This could explain why sales seem to be dropping everywhere, and very sad to see that Canva is so blatantly promoting free images.  I had no idea there was a web site called "Death to Stock Photo" and a lot of people seem to hate the idea of paying for images.  What idiots would give away their work for free?  And how did it get to the point where people don't think you should have to pay for images?  Very sad.  The future is not bright.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 06:51 »
+5
Sad to see Canva is doing that.

Yeah, another way to prevent the photog from earning. Why pay for it when you can get it free, right?

75 different sites should help cut our earnings once again :(

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 07:39 »
+8

we better be aware of this trend...but yes, happy to delete it if you guys think this is counterproductive.

Actually, looking at some of the garbage on offer for free, I'm not sure that it is counterproductive.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 07:53 »
+9
I was worried that Death to the Stock Photo was giving away our images for free, so I signed up. Each month I get an email with a packet of photostaken by the couple who run the businessthat are out of focus, grainy and have purple fringing. I get the impression that they were rejected by all the stock sites, which would explain the name of their enterprise.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 11:43 »
+7
I have no problem with free photos as long as the ones you get for free are clearly not as good as the ones you pay for - as noted above.

In everything I've seen to date - and I looked at the Canva blog post, though not at the many sites they reviewed - it's very clear what the difference is. Free stuff generally looks like it was someone's own snapshot - best way to see that is one of the sites that runs paid shots next to free ones, like this:

http://freerangestock.com/search.php?search=woman+computer&submit=&match_type=all

I still see things like Dollar Photo Club as a much bigger threat - full size images and illustrations for $1 with no volume commitment. That gets you really good quality stuff for a pittance.

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 12:04 »
+4
I have no problem with free photos as long as the ones you get for free are clearly not as good as the ones you pay for - as noted above.

In everything I've seen to date - and I looked at the Canva blog post, though not at the many sites they reviewed - it's very clear what the difference is. Free stuff generally looks like it was someone's own snapshot - best way to see that is one of the sites that runs paid shots next to free ones, like this:

http://freerangestock.com/search.php?search=woman+computer&submit=&match_type=all

I still see things like Dollar Photo Club as a much bigger threat - full size images and illustrations for $1 with no volume commitment. That gets you really good quality stuff for a pittance.

Problem is those photos are plenty usable for somebody like for a blog. A few years ago those would have been in some sort of discounted dollar bin. Now, buyers are used to getting high resolution photos taken with professional models in an exotic location for $1. So they no longer have a need to pay for pictures that are lower in perceived quality.

Bottom line is, any photo that is worth using is worth something monetarily. Maybe it's only a penny or quarter but anything is better than free.

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 14:59 »
+8
I don't think the free sites are not making money, especially the ones run by the couple or the one guy by himself.  I bet they are giving away their crappy photos and making money thru ads or some other way related to their traffic.

No Free Lunch

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 14:54 »
+6
Notice Canva is off the list now. Good was done in the end by this post... :)

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 21:06 »
+5
Notice Canva is off the list now. Good was done in the end by this post... :)

oh la laaa....good to know that naming and shaming actually works here.  :)

marthamarks

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 22:54 »
+3
oh la laaa....good to know that naming and shaming actually works here.  :)

Naming and shaming often does work and sometimes it's the only thing that does.

Keep it up, folks!

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 23:40 »
+8
I was thinking of joining Canva, but if they are  just another site trying to push  freebies or put stuff over on us, no thanks.

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 03:37 »
Deleted!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 02:36 by KnowYourOnions »

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 04:05 »
+5
I'm going to ask baker in our town if he would bake bread for free if he loves doing this job... I wish we could get clothes and cameras for free too  :'(

What idiots would give away their work for free?  And how did it get to the point where people don't think you should have to pay for images?  Very sad.  The future is not bright.

Years ago I was on some gear forum and these "true artists" said it's not good to take money for their artistic work. It's like selling your soul, giving yourself for money like a b.''.ch  ::) Not much changed since then. These artists still believe they are doing something amazing and great for this world.
On the other hand there are children just playing and they have no idea how it (could) work for them.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:08 by Ariene »

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 05:06 »

Uncle Pete

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 09:17 »
+1
Have to love this analysis Shelma.  8)

I was worried that Death to the Stock Photo was giving away our images for free, so I signed up. Each month I get an email with a packet of photostaken by the couple who run the businessthat are out of focus, grainy and have purple fringing. I get the impression that they were rejected by all the stock sites, which would explain the name of their enterprise.

And also:

Actually, looking at some of the garbage on offer for free, I'm not sure that it is counterproductive.

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 23:27 »
+1
Pond 5 is no different from the rest. Pixmac was cut from partners many sites, closed, because they held pictures illegally. Now they are a team. What did we expect. Free pictures you lose sales. Just like rest.

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 14:07 »
+1

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 16:01 »
+6
Just adding to this black list...

http://www.bigstockphoto.com/video/free-trial

http://www.pond5.com/free

There's a big difference between just giving images away free, like some of these sites, and a limited free trial offer where you automatically opt in to a monthly subscription and have to give your credit card information (and I'm assuming the videographers get paid for each download), as with Bigstock.

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 17:04 »
Just adding to this black list...

http://www.bigstockphoto.com/video/free-trial

http://www.pond5.com/free

There's a big difference between just giving images away free, like some of these sites, and a limited free trial offer where you automatically opt in to a monthly subscription and have to give your credit card information (and I'm assuming the videographers get paid for each download), as with Bigstock.

That's true... Much smarter than just giving stuff away.
BUT after 2 weeks of Bigstock trial and 70 free downloads one doesn't need to continue at all. That's how I understood this - http://www.bigstockphoto.com/free-trial/5aday14daytrial

"Start Your Free 14-Day Trial!
Any 5 images. Any size. Every day.
Automatic renewal. Cancel anytime. Fuss-free all the way.
Credit Card Information
Your credit card will not be charged today. When your free trial ends on February 26, 2015, we will renew your subscription for 59,29/month, using your information below You can cancel Auto Renewal at any time, right on our site, or by contacting our support team."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 17:21 by KnowYourOnions »