pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Blue and black or gold and white?  (Read 26548 times)

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 08:25 »
this shows the sorry situation of modern TFT displays, each one displaying a slightly different gamut (color range), i'm sure if i check the image on 3-4 different phones at least one will look white/gold.

FTFY

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 09:34 »
Not that I really care, and I see the same everywhere I've looked, but it also depends on whether the question is 'what colour do you see?' or 'what colour do you think this dress, really is?'
I thought it was the first. But obviously, if you photograph white in shade without any flash, exposure compensation or pp, it won't show as white.
But in fact, the Beeb did a vox pop showing the image on the same device (but probably in different lighting) to several people, who reported different colours that they were seeing.

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 10:17 »
+1
I've 'seen it both ways'. Now that i realize that it is greatly overexposed i tend to see it blue and black.

I think it has more to do with viewing conditions (light background, dark background, light / dark room) the first time you see it. And how often you view crappy cell phone images..

But mostly I think it is just an example of how important our brain is at interpreting the information presented to it by our eyes.

this illusion seems to be alot of what is going on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 10:47 »
this shows the sorry situation of modern TFT displays, each one displaying a slightly different gamut (color range), i'm sure if i check the image on 3-4 different phones at least one will look blue/black.
Not at all. I have managed to see the dress both ways on the same monitor and news item. It is quite startling. Read my last post.

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 13:29 »
Hobostocker doesn't seem to of noticed that lots of people see the different colours on the same screen, so it doesn't have anything to do with modern TFT displays.

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 01:16 »
Hobostocker doesn't seem to of noticed that lots of people see the different colours on the same screen, so it doesn't have anything to do with modern TFT displays.

welll then they should better check with their optician and yeah i've met a few guys who have troubles dealing with some shades of blue vs purple and also red vs orange, it seems more common than we think.

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 03:01 »
+3
lol, dude, it isn't color blindness and it isn't monitor settings. It is human visual interpretation. People who see different things aren't defective.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 04:40 »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roman-Womens-Detail-Bodycon-Dress/dp/B00SJEUCWU#customerReviews

A few of my favourite reviews:

"A dress you can be both married (white+gold) and buried (black+blue) in. Highly recommended."

"I bought this dress for my wife, and she looks beautiful in it. Funny thing, the other day I saw another woman who looked exactly like my wife, kissing another man. But it couldn't have been my wife because that woman was wearing a white-and-gold dress, and the dress I bought my wife is a blue-and-black one. Whew, I was almost worried for a moment there, haha."

"The good: Works equally well as formal or business casual attire.

The bad: Carves a crooked path through perceptual reality and leaves behind it a wake of confusion and existential crises. Also unforgiving on the hips."

"I purchased this white and gold dress and was slightly sad when I received a blue and black dress. However, I know now that I got a great deal because if you stare at it long enough you can clearly see it's a sailboat."