pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: How do you get a stock distributor?  (Read 3939 times)

« on: March 01, 2015, 13:46 »
I read a lot about photogs getting their work on many mid and high end sites like corbis, offset, getty, etc. through  a stock distributor.   Lets assume somebody has a large portfolio with a successful sales track record.  How would they get with one of these distributors?  The names of some of the distributors would be nice to know.   Google was not helpful.

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 19:13 »
+1
I can't help you with your general question - a list of the independent agencies that distribute their photographer's work - but I can give a couple of examples.

A number of German photographers use (and seem happy with) Westend61 (click on about us; that doesn't appear to generate a unique URL):

http://www.westend61.de/koala2/mainMenu.html

In the US is Blend Images

http://www.blendimages.com/contribute.shtml

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 20:56 »
Thank you JoAnn.  That is a good starting point.   Maybe someof the ones who are mentioning selling thru dustributors could weigh in.   MichaelJay?

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 21:28 »
Check out his blog - he's written about distribution before.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 23:09 »
Check out his blog - he's written about distribution before.

Thanks!  Will do. 

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 04:29 »
+1
Maybe look here...

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 06:21 »
+4
I read a lot about photogs getting their work on many mid and high end sites like corbis, offset, getty, etc. through  a stock distributor.   Lets assume somebody has a large portfolio with a successful sales track record.  How would they get with one of these distributors?  The names of some of the distributors would be nice to know.   Google was not helpful.

You could go to Getty and Corbis, click on Advanced Search, you'll find a list of collections. Some are in-house collections, some are pointing to a supplier agency. Try and google for the names.

You could use Google images and search for very rare/specific/local topics and add "stock photo". You will be surprised how quickly you run out of the microstock images when you look for something very specific, and then you might get images from agencies that are specialized in your topic/region.

They all have different specializations and demands, they all have different ways to apply - some will ask for hundreds of images, some only a dozen, for some you might need to pick up the phone and call them asking for an email address to send your application to.

"Successful sales track record" won't be a help with the application in my opinion, especially if your success is in microstock. To apply today, you need a portfolio of images that are more than what you typically find on microstock. Actually I'd rather remove all images that are anywhere to be found on page 1 of any "most popular" searches in microstock from an application profile. And tons of sales of concept/tabletop images won't get you into any macrostock agencies. Look at what they promote and then show them those of your images that match their offer.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 06:26 »
I also think about it to test a macro-distributor.

Westend61 is not an option for me.
They spread itself to microstock that I can even do better and efficienttly by myself (without german/eu VAT).

Does Blend & Spaceimages require image-exclusivity?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:29 by R2D2 »

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 07:55 »
+4
I also think about it to test a macro-distributor.

Westend61 is not an option for me.
They spread itself to microstock that I can even do better and efficienttly by myself (without german/eu VAT).

It's not really possible to just "test" a macro-distributor. You have to consider that the process of distributing images takes time - some of the agencies only accept new images quarterly, smaller agencies get images maybe only twice a year to keep it efficient -, and when sales are coming in it can take months to reach back: Getty charges some clients on a quarterly basis, so it's not uncommon to find an image online in October but not get paid before February. So it is highly unlikely (though possible) to see sales within the first 6 months.

There is no point starting to upload images to macrostock if you don't want to consistently stay with it (and I mean continue uploading on a regular basis) for at least 24-36 months. And there is no point if you don't want to commit a few hundred images mid to long term at least.

(and I would be surprised if any of them would not require image exclusivity)

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 13:53 »
I believe most of the distributors require exclusivity. It's a big commitment but may be worth it. My only concern is that I wonder how much you make once all the partners take their cut? I have one in Germany that approached me a few years back - my returns are so tiny there, all through European distributors, but they are a small player - those with large distribution networks may be better. I'm preparing work for another one but no track record yet so can't really share anything of use.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess. Good luck!

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 14:24 »
Super good advice here.   MichaelJay, you are very experienced with this.  Thank you a lot for sharing these details of a subject I know nothing about!

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 14:26 »
Thank you too DirkR.  I missed the post from Jonathan about Spaces accepting lifestyle.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 16:30 »
i was thinking if lifestyle is your thing, maybe you put out a call to find lisafx who used to be a regular here and her words are more like those of paulie , joanne, sn, ... (ie. good advice and insight).
i take it that her conspicuous absence here and other micro forums suggest she might have somehow
gone that route already.

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 16:33 »
Good idea.  I'll try reaching her.

Dook

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 06:01 »
+3
i was thinking if lifestyle is your thing, maybe you put out a call to find lisafx who used to be a regular here and her words are more like those of paulie , joanne, sn, ... (ie. good advice and insight).
i take it that her conspicuous absence here and other micro forums suggest she might have somehow
gone that route already.
She is gone from this forum because of Dollar Club thing.