MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Shutterstock - good days, bad days  (Read 19159 times)

« on: March 04, 2015, 14:33 »
+5
I'm finding that I get a sequence of good days at Shutterstock (for sales) followed by a sudden unexplained drop for a day (or two), then the good days return.  Today is an example of a sudden bad day - as if my portfolio has become invisible to buyers.  Surprising, as yesterday was a record for sales.

Has anyone else experienced these sudden 'bad days'?  Is it just a standard thing with Shutterstock?

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 14:36 »
+8
Nope.  I'm pretty steady at half of what I was making in the fall, with the occasional large kick from an EL.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 14:43 »
I actually have a lot more variation on iStock. Shutterstock can vary 10-20%, but on iStock my credit sales take really wild swings from one day to the next.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 15:51 »
+2
I too get pretty broad cycles on SS.  Sometimes so big that i get desparate for a big sod. Just in the last 6 months i have had $450-$500 in monthly variance. Thats big.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 17:24 »
+1
Last month, not weekends, my worst weekday was below $10 and the top day was above $90. Today is a slow day, I hardly ever have a week on all cylinders. There is always a fart of day in between.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 21:59 »
+9
It's small-sample statistics.  There are 50 million images, only a fraction of which sell on any particular day.  Your fraction is a tiny proportion of overall sales, so the number of your images that sell on any particular day is going to vary considerably unless you have some that are in very high demand.  I sold more than normal on SS yesterday, mainly because one buyer seemed to want images of a particular place that I have quite a few of.  Today I had multiple sales from a slightly different theme on DT.  Tomorrow I might not have much on either - it's just statistical variation.  Monthly totals are much more informative, but probably still pretty variable for those of us with small PFs.  I imagine it smooths out a bit once you have a few thousand images.

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 00:27 »
Same here, very different week days (weekend is another thing)
I have also noticed very longer times of review, specially for the vectors.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 02:21 »
same like everyone here... but conspiracy theory or not, i still find that as soon as i reach payout suddenly like you say hatman ...it is as if my portfolio become as invisible.
for that i mean especially quote (sean locke photography) if i get a large kick from EL (unquote)
suddenly the rest of the month is like fuse-box flipped off... or once i reach my monthly average download numbers...
but really, as once i said before as someone else pointed out too repeatingly
if you deducted the EL, sales are down all over.

ruxpriencdiam

This user is banned.
  • Location. Third stone from the sun
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 17:35 »
+1
good days, bad days

Sounds like a Led Zep song.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 19:19 »
+1
Well, another bad day at Shutterstock, as if all my work is invisible.  Even new uploads seem to be disappearing into a black hole of invisibility.

I know I've only been non-exclusive for just over a month, but I know what's commercial and attractive, and I know what sells.  At other agencies I'm making good progress, but at Shutterstock it seems that those same files get uploaded and just disappear without even a single download.  For me, SS just seems to be a place where I upload and files die.  There's clearly something wrong, but what that is I've no idea.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:48 by hatman12 »

Semmick Photo

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 02:16 »
+1
Well, another bad day at Shutterstock, as if all my work is invisible.  Even new uploads seem to be disappearing into a black hole of invisibility.

I know I've only been non-exclusive for just over a month, but I know what's commercial and attractive, and I know what sells.  At other agencies I'm making good progress - at FT I've already reached bronze and I'm selling 20 or more files per day.  Great.  At Shutterstock those same files get uploaded and just disappear without even a single download.  Today I sold 22 files at FT, and only 14 at SS.  It should be the other way round - SS should be massively outselling FT, but that just isn't happening.  For me, SS just seems to be a place where I upload and files die.  There's clearly something wrong, but what that is I've no idea.

But that goes completely against the theory and believe that newbies are being favoured. You should see great sales, because the theory is that SS favours 25 cent royalty images.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 02:40 »
+9
I know I've only been non-exclusive for just over a month, but I know what's commercial and attractive, and I know what sells.  At other agencies I'm making good progress - at FT I've already reached bronze and I'm selling 20 or more files per day.  Great.  At Shutterstock those same files get uploaded and just disappear without even a single download.

While I agree with your overall statement, you might underestimate the element of randomness... My best selling image at Shutterstock has made over 1,000 downloads but rarely any on Fotolia. My best selling images on Fotolia are rarely being downloaded on Shutterstock. And my long time best sellers on iStock never made any big numbers anywhere else.

Also, I believe Shutterstock is more of a long term project with the benefit of staying stable in the long run, images need some time to get established in the searches and then keep selling consistently. Fotolia has far more focus on new files but they might disappear from searches in a few months or a year. At least that's what I believe without being able to prove that with hard facts.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 02:45 »
+1

..., images need some time to get established in the searches and then keep selling consistently. ...

I agree with that. I experienced the same. New images wouldnt get traction and then all of a sudden they would pick up. As if they need to get settled in, collect views, mature in the search and then started to get downloaded. Happened like that with many of my good selling images.

dpimborough

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 04:37 »
Well as of last week I started getting 15 sales a day regular as clockwork each consecutive day 15.  Weekend arrives and the new week starts and back to 15 a day.

And you tell me that they aren't manipulating sales. ::)

Semmick Photo

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 05:04 »
+2
Well as of last week I started getting 15 sales a day regular as clockwork each consecutive day 15.  Weekend arrives and the new week starts and back to 15 a day.

Maybe you are posting in the wrong thread ?

http://www.microstockgroup.com/shutterstock-com/very-high-level-conspiracy-theories-here-read-at-your-own-risk/

;)

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 06:32 »
from my point of view as vector contributor there is a jump in sales, I attached a chart with data from multiple users vectors. It is clear that there is a jump in the evolution of sales. new files has not sales and down quickly

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:43 by Roberto »

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 12:04 »
+4

Also, I believe Shutterstock is more of a long term project with the benefit of staying stable in the long run, images need some time to get established in the searches and then keep selling consistently. Fotolia has far more focus on new files but they might disappear from searches in a few months or a year. At least that's what I believe without being able to prove that with hard facts.

Fully agreed upon. My bestsellers on SS are still selling one or two times each day after 5 or more years online, while sales of the same files on FT and IS have declined significantly after having had a peak after 6-24 months online. Interestingly, the decline on FT was even faster than on IS

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 12:07 »
But back to the OP, I'm only having good days after good days at SS  ;)

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 14:23 »
+1
Usually having 15-20 sales and today nothing at all ! Looks like my portfolio is invisible !

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 17:06 »
 Yes me too, I have sales with old files, but new ones has a few sales and sometimes a new one has many sales after some weeks, it is some extrange
But back to the OP, I'm only having good days after good days at SS  ;)

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 18:35 »
I dont like it.
Very little sales on files that are 3 months old or newer.
Only files that sells are the old ones.
I get few downloads on just approved photos, but then pics just vanish.

Rinderart

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 23:42 »
+1
I dont like it.
Very little sales on files that are 3 months old or newer.
Only files that sells are the old ones.
I get few downloads on just approved photos, but then pics just vanish.

Good days?....far and few between.

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 05:36 »
Last month was wme for me. February. First time ever I barely passed payment threshold. And that was on the last day, a sale that made my payment possibile. I have over 2500 video clips and have +-$100 months during the year. But february was awful. I was on the verge of calling and asking them are they mad at me :))) Pond and the rest of the agencies were as usual (video) but SS sales plunged. And Dissolve had a bme for me.

Anyways, that's not the topic. I have a series of days without sales at SS. Don't know how and why. I stopped thinking about it. Added almost 600 new files last year and the sales stayed the same. Somehow I always get +-$100 the same amount of money. New year, summer, spring... it's the same for me. I have one file over 10 dl's and the rest are 9, 8, 7, etc... Ebb and flow? Didn't wrote that a long time. I don't know. And I don't have a "bestseller" file :)

Good days-bad days? In February I had six days of sales. Usually I have 15+ days with sales.
That's my 2 cents on this.

dpimborough

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 06:25 »

Maybe you are posting in the wrong thread ?

http://www.microstockgroup.com/shutterstock-com/very-high-level-conspiracy-theories-here-read-at-your-own-risk/

;)

Nah Ron just stating a fact that sales are bad and that the limit is 15 per day  ;D

Semmick Photo

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 09:51 »
+4
The fact is your 15 sales a day, not that they are manipulating your sales, thats a theory.