pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Deposit Photos - worth it?  (Read 16760 times)

« on: March 06, 2015, 14:47 »
Is uploading to Deposit worth the time and trouble?  I've noticed them creeping up the Poll for earnings - a year or so ago they were down at 8.0 and now they're at 12 and rising.  Getting close to 123RF.

And yet nearly everything I read about them here seems to be critical, negative, including references to 'being dishonest, crooks etc'.

Does anyone here actually have something positive to say about Deposit, and experience of rising earnings in line with the Poll numbers?

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 15:06 »
+19
No, no and no!, this is the worst agency , 90% is subs for 0.30$,10% is credit sales for 0.44$, never and never  enterprise license, credit sale are rare like panda.

my opinion is they are stealing. even bigstock is much better, i quit uploading to deposit, they are criminals

12.4 is another lie, i upload business images, compare to SS they are about 1% to 2% of SS sales.

i beg you not to upload on DP.

Thank you very much!

Semmick Photo

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 15:13 »
+14
NO !

Criminal outfit

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 15:18 »
+16
Plain and simple - no.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 15:58 »
+15
No!

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 16:55 »
+9
I hope you instigate/provoke only. Go back to threads from 2014 about DP and you will find your answer and you won't have any more questions or doubts... DP=NO! Just give a wide berth.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 16:58 by Ariene »

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 17:05 »
+14
I imagine they are creeping up because so many people pulled their work that the ones left are the only ones left to buy from.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 17:49 »
I didn't make the decision to stop uploading yet but it's interesting to see what others say here. I will give it another run because I only uploaded 100+ images ever since I got accepted few months ago. I feel pretty cheap so far, with 1$/month. I make more on canstockphoto. There is something untrustworthy about this website.

Once I upload a sufficient amount of images and still don't feel right about it, I may pull out as well.

I was wondering lately: From which corrupt or not corrupt country are they originally from? ;) Their main headquarters are in US but the website feels very russian to me.

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 19:37 »
+9
I never submitted to DP - at the beginning (summer 2011, when I left exclusivity) because I had concerns about an outfit that started out as a file sharing site - pirating content, in other words.

Then I received e-mail from one of their staff offering me a special "deal" that I could start somewhere other than the lowest commission rate and get preferential search placement, plus "It also involves a special algorithm we developed to let your images be placed on first pages of our search engine which is going to raise your profit from collaborating with us."

That just failed the smell test - when they promised the next person and the next and the next, we can't all be on the first page. Not to mention I couldn't see how focusing on schemes like this versus good results for the buyer could be a good long term strategy.

Then the long list of tales here about underhanded dealings - go and read about the Shotshop fiasco as a recent example - that make it clear that this folks are fighting Fotolia for the title of most ethically challenged agency.

If you upload there for the cash, first try and get one of their deals for a higher rate and secondly watch your back.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 21:32 »
Yes, Jo Ann, I applied to Deposit and got that same email - special treatment, priority search placement etc etc.  Sounded a bit fishy to me.

But what about the Poll over on the right?  Are people saying that DP's position there isn't real, that it's been manipulated in some way?

Is DP just a 'front' for a business that sends images to countless third party agencies in Russia, Eastern Bloc etc, taking the lion's share of the income and then just paying out subs to suppliers?  It's owned by a Russian guy isn't it?  Or is it a genuine agency with potential?

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 00:22 »
+5
NOT WORTH IT - this agency has a weak position in the micro market and therefore doesn't sell a lot of photos. My worst performing agency by several hundred %.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 01:16 »
+5
Recently demanded to delete my images from their partners. Cannot see benefit for photographer from redistributors in micro sales.

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 03:49 »
+9
NO! Not at all! Once your pics are uploaded, you can't remove your work anymore, deactivation of your material it's the only possibility. Don't feed DP!

Dook

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 05:09 »
+1
For me, they are doing better than Canstock, Bigstock, Alamy, Veer. More less, the poll on the right reflects their position for me.

Dook

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 05:32 »
Edit
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 05:47 by Dook »

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 06:42 »
$ today, $ tomorrow...
Every 50$ payout is ok for me.
100% agree with dook.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 08:43 »
I applied to Deposit and got that same email - special treatment, priority search placement etc etc.  Sounded a bit fishy to me.

Didn't got the special treatment email yet, but special treatment for money sounds like a very Russian thing to do.

Is that legal?
I know you pay money on ebay to be placed in the top section, but ebay lets you know which itmes have been manipulated (at least if you have good eyes to see the almost invisible grey separators)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:45 by einstein »

Dook

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 10:00 »
+12

Didn't got the special treatment email yet, but special treatment for money sounds like a very Russian thing to do.

I can't believe you are identifying a whole nation with some kind of criminal activity on an international forum. There are a lot of Russians here. There a lot of people of all nationalities. That's why I always try to be polite and respect other members.
Big minus from me to you.

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 12:35 »
+1
I imagine they are creeping up because so many people pulled their work that the ones left are the only ones left to buy from.

Only ones left are the ones that DP pays to vote them up. Many people pulled because of bad 3% pay, lies, selling to partners for sub pay while the partners sold for full price. DP has been caught in denial lies. I don't believe the poll is true, only people who make money stayed. NO, low earner, no future.

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 13:15 »
+8
... But what about the Poll over on the right? 

The poll is not a bad general gauge of how sites are doing, but many people don't submit data to them and there's no check whatever that anything that is submitted is factual. Something like the cartoon: on the internet, no one knows you're a dog...

Everyone's tolerance for agency shenanigans is different. I was making decent money at Veer, but left 18 months or so ago because they refuse to offer an opt out of their partner sales, refuse to give us a list of the sites they partner with and refused to change an unfair payment system for partner sales. Some people submit to everywhere and pay no attention to the specific terms or conditions or fairness because the money does add up and they aren't bothered by the proliferation of their work in many sites.

At some point, what we put up with becomes the norm across the board - bad behavior begets more.

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 13:31 »
+7
Hey, I can see how that might come out the really wrong way, but I also suspect you wanted to understand my statement the way you did. Most people are victims to corruption and not its perpertrators. I have russian friends myself. I meant to imply that the russian societal structure supports corruption and the russian state has a long history of it.

So given that depositphotos has some shady roots in Russia, there might be heightened probability of scam and corruption.

And don't tell me that's racism. When I say that most of my scam mail comes from Nigeria, that's a fact and it's nothing personal against any Nigerian (except the guy who actually is responsible for those emails).

I can't believe you are identifying a whole nation with some kind of criminal activity on an international forum. There are a lot of Russians here. There a lot of people of all nationalities. That's why I always try to be polite and respect other members.
Big minus from me to you.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 13:36 by einstein »

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 15:14 »
+1
50$ on DP now  or half year later 100$ all the time more on SS?

stop upload to deposit.

$ today, $ tomorrow...
100% agree with dook.

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 16:07 »
50$ on DP now  or half year later 100$ all the time more on SS?

stop upload to deposit
------------------------------------------------------

$ today, $ tomorrow...
100% agree with dook.

And who are you?
Domina hot line?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 16:16 by enstoker »

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 19:18 »
+11
No, no and no!, this is the worst agency , 90% is subs for 0.30$,10% is credit sales for 0.44$, never and never  enterprise license, credit sale are rare like panda.

Well, I am not saying that I like DP. However, I don't like misinformation.

Here is RPD (return per download) from my portfolio: 0.62 at DP which is higher than FT (0.49), and almost the same as SS. For reference: 123RF 0.94, DT 1.44. This is just microstock ...

Otherwise, I agree. Do not upload to DP! Or even better. Do not upload to any other stock agency. We don't need more competition.
 :)

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 19:39 »

Whether it's a "very Russian thing to do" or not is sort of irrelevant. DP originated in Cyprus, not Russia.