MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Is Shutterstock ending 25 a day subs in favor of monthly limits?  (Read 57452 times)

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2015, 11:19 »
+5
I'd guess they did this because it was one of the top obstacles they were hearing from prospective large corporate accounts. They were probably interested but were hesitating because of the inflexibility of the limits. I'm sure SS ran the numbers and saw that the benefit of more quickly converting stalled large prospects into customers outweighed the potential negatives.

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2015, 14:47 »
+1
I'd guess they did this because it was one of the top obstacles they were hearing from prospective large corporate accounts. They were probably interested but were hesitating because of the inflexibility of the limits. I'm sure SS ran the numbers and saw that the benefit of more quickly converting stalled large prospects into customers outweighed the potential negatives.

Yes.  Historically SS are very cautious about running numbers and test new programs and changes before introducing to the whole site and buyer market.   Such carefulness us probably a good part of their success.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2015, 16:21 »
+1
Why dont you post a screenshot tickstock, whats holding you back doing that. I dont get it. If you see it, take a screendump and post it here. It will be the end of discussion if it exists or not.

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2015, 20:59 »
Why dont you post a screenshot tickstock, whats holding you back doing that. I dont get it. If you see it, take a screendump and post it here. It will be the end of discussion if it exists or not.
You can go on twitter and see that SS has acknowledged it.
"I really like the new format from @Shutterstock! 750/month instead of 25/day is awesome!"
SS said in response:
"@AdamParks We're excited too! Thanks for the shout-out, Adam. :)"

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2015, 20:03 »
+1
"To provide greater flexibility and to meet our customers needs, we recently changed our monthly subscription from 25 image downloads per day to 750 per month for customers in the U.S. and Canada."
http://www.shutterstock.com/blog/announcing-changes-shutterstocks-license-terms-and-payment-options

Uncle Pete

« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2015, 20:44 »
Oh God, you couldn't just let this one die?  :) USA and Canada, that's kind of interesting isn't it?

Announced at the same time as the 500,000 replaces 250,000 change.

"To provide greater flexibility and to meet our customers needs, we recently changed our monthly subscription from 25 image downloads per day to 750 per month for customers in the U.S. and Canada."
http://www.shutterstock.com/blog/announcing-changes-shutterstocks-license-terms-and-payment-options

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2015, 21:19 »
+4
Oh God, you couldn't just let this one die?  :) USA and Canada, that's kind of interesting isn't it?
Your last posts accused me of making this up.  I think posting the official SS release on it is completely relevant, now you and the others that thought this was fake can move on and begin thinking about what it means. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 21:21 by tickstock »

Uncle Pete

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2015, 12:10 »
True! I was skeptical. But what you contend is not exactly accurate. I never said you were making it up. I said you were interpreting it from one tweet, and we had no confirmation that it was true. There's a large difference.

You also wouldn't admit that the page I linked to, still said 25 a day and you kept pointing to the subscription page, listing programs, that neglected to mention any daily limits. Not that the new program was 750 a month.

Deal in facts please.

Yes it is a fact, now for USA and Canada, and I guess we'll have to see if it changes anything or not. Or if we can even see a change? I'd say this is more of something good for customers, encouraging them to subscribe to SS vs a competitor. More new buyers is good.

Whether they take 25 a day or 750 in one day, won't change anything. Might increase downloads?

Your last posts accused me of making this up.  I think posting the official SS release on it is completely relevant, now you and the others that thought this was fake can move on and begin thinking about what it means.

Please quote where I said you were "making it up" or I said it was fake. Thanks
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 08:44 by Uncle Pete »

« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2015, 14:06 »
True! I was skeptical. But what you contend is not exactly accurate. I never said you were making it up. I said you were interpreting it from one tweet, and we had no confirmation that it was true. There's a large difference.

You also wouldn't admit that the page I linked to, still said 25 a day and you kept pointing to the subscription page, listing programs, that neglected to mention any daily limits. Not that the new program was 750 a month.

Deal in facts please.

Yes it is a fact, now for USA and Canada, and I guess we'll have to see if it changes anything or not. Or if we can even see a change? I'd say this is more of something good for customers, encouraging them to subscribe to SS vs a competitor. More new buyers is good.

Whether they take 25 a day or 750 in one day, won't change anything. Might increase downloads?

The page you linked to that said 25/day was not showing up for me that's why didn't admit to it.  In fact I haven't seen anything about 25/day since I started this thread.  Also the other links I had, like the one from the Facebook ad explicitly said no daily limits.  You might not have been able to see that but some other people could, it was linked on Shutterstock's forum so I know someone else could see it.
Like you said "Might increase downloads?"  That's why I started this thread if downloads increase then SS will make less money per subscription and if the margins for subs are cut how does SS respond?  Do they do nothing then and take the hit to their margins or do they try to make up for that cut by raising subscription prices or cut contributor royalties?  I think those are basically the only options if downloads increase.  My guess is downloads will increase and just a tiny increase will be significant for shareholders, it will be interesting to see the next investor call.  I bet there will be some questions from the shareholders on this.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2015, 14:17 »
Everything is for the business and that eventually means the shareholders. I doubt that SS would do anything without looking at how it improves the earnings - bottom line. If this will give us more DLs and more money, it's an unintended benefit.  :)

When you look at this page, http://www.shutterstock.com/index-in.mhtml  what do you see on the upper left? Just have to ask, because I still see this.

Kind of odd, isn't it? Now you understand what I'm seeing.

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2015, 14:30 »
When you look at this page, http://www.shutterstock.com/index-in.mhtml  what do you see on the upper left? Just have to ask, because I still see this.

I don't see that, I'm not sure why you see that it looks like a very old version to me.  SS image 177752849 from last year is the same page I see with a different background photo. Improving earnings isn't always the goal sometimes keeping market share is.

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2015, 14:49 »

I don't see that, I'm not sure why you see that it looks like a very old version to me.  SS image 177752849 from last year is the same page I see with a different background photo. Improving earnings isn't always the goal sometimes keeping market share is.

Shutterstock has stated many times that they do not roll our changes in all of their markets. If the test market changes are beneficial to them they roll them out everywhere.

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2015, 15:08 »

Shutterstock has stated many times that they do not roll our changes in all of their markets. If the test market changes are beneficial to them they roll them out everywhere.

They announced it's been rolled out in the US and Canada so Pete shouldn't be seeing the 25/day anymore.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2015, 15:47 »
Maybe delete cache and cookies?

Uncle Pete

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2015, 00:45 »
Yes to both of you, that's why I did a screen capture. The other page for subscriptions has changed, it just doesn't say 25-a-day any more. Interesting that I'm still seeing the same graphic on the main page, in the upper left.

Cleared cache. Did a forced page reload. Nope still the same.

After that, it's not important. Just interesting.  :)

They announced it's been rolled out in the US and Canada so Pete shouldn't be seeing the 25/day anymore.

« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2015, 00:48 »
I have in avarage 30-40 sold photos a day on SS. Yesterday (thursday) almost ZERO. Anybody else? Weird.  :-\

Semmick Photo

« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2015, 01:20 »
+1
It's Easter weekend. Things could slow down. Certainly this weekend.

« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2015, 01:23 »
Yep, me too, I had an average 4.3 downloads a day in March, then on 1st of April 7 downloads (4 of them ODD), and then, yesterday nothing. 0.

I thought this was due to holidays.

I have only about 500 files though.

Uncle Pete

« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2015, 08:40 »
Comes back to the reporting question. We don't know if they process earnings one day and do something else on Fridays. Watching the map or the earnings, is not proof that the DL took place that same day or same hour.

This could also make Monday or Tuesday more attractive as the weekend DLs get reported then.

No I have no evidence of this. Same as no one has proof that reporting is close to real time.

Anyway, removing 25 a day is fine with me. I hope it frees up buyers to DL more of my work more often.

I have in avarage 30-40 sold photos a day on SS. Yesterday (thursday) almost ZERO. Anybody else? Weird.  :-\

OM

« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2015, 06:56 »
+1
Maybe this will make a difference in the number of downloads we get (from Europe). No more 750/month for us, we've been downsized to 350/month.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2015, 08:35 »
+3
Maybe this will make a difference in the number of downloads we get (from Europe). No more 750/month for us, we've been downsized to 350/month.
Its also only 34 euro per month cheaper.

199 euro for 750 month = 0.27 c/i
165 euro for 350 month = 0.47 c/i

Shutterstock gave themselves a 20 cent raise per image. And nuttin' for us. So it seems.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:52 by Semmick Photo »

OM

« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2015, 10:41 »
Its also 74 euro per month cheaper.

199 euro for 750 month = 0.27 c/i
165 euro for 350 month = 0.47 c/i

Shutterstock gave themselves a 20 cent raise per image. And nuttin' for us. So it seems.

I make it 34/less at the 1 month rate. When you take out a subs package for 12 months, the price/month drops below 199/month I thought. Anyway, not surprising that dls have dropped.....Europeeins get 400 dls less/month that they used to.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:48 by OM »

Semmick Photo

« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2015, 10:52 »
I edited a calc error

« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2015, 11:46 »
+1
They added the 350 image option for the US too.  Expect more changes to combat lower margins with the new monthly limits.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2015, 12:53 »
They added the 350 image option for the US too.  Expect more changes to combat lower margins with the new monthly limits.
But their margin on a month subscription went up by 81%