MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Started a YouTube channel to promote my symbiostock site...  (Read 44887 times)

« on: March 16, 2015, 09:58 »
+3
I am not sure if it's a good decision.. Time will tell.. I have still got a lot to learn..

Anybody who has done this already? Would love to hear your experience..

Also, any feedback would be appreciated.. I have probably made some mistakes and it could have been better.. I will be glad to hear any criticism, so I can improve..

I am planning to do a video for every single work I do from now on.. I may fail on this since it's easier said than done..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDJk8npY6OE

(not sure if there is a way to embed it so it can be viewed on this page)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 14:21 by cidepix »

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 10:25 »
+4
Nice job! Interesting to see how someone else works. Some suggestions from someone who creates commercials for a living:

Move the montage of your icons and your website URL from the end to the beginning. End with your website URL right after the tutorial is over. I thought the video had ended there until I looked at the time bar. You might want to incorporate a screenshot of your site.

More explanation, less music. For example, why radial gradients? (3d, light source, etc.) why the colors you chose? Any filler info about good icon design? (simplicity, strong shapes, etc.)

Turn the music down. It gets really loud when you stop talking. Is that because it's free thru YouTube so you can't control volume? If so, you may want to license one piece of stock music to use in all videos so you have volume control.

At the end, Suggest people visit your site for more icon design and to license your icons!

Best of luck...I hope this brings a lot of traffic.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 10:41 »
+1
Nice job! Interesting to see how someone else works. Some suggestions from someone who creates commercials for a living:

Move the montage of your icons and your website URL from the end to the beginning. End with your website URL right after the tutorial is over. I thought the video had ended there until I looked at the time bar. You might want to incorporate a screenshot of your site.

More explanation, less music. For example, why radial gradients? (3d, light source, etc.) why the colors you chose? Any filler info about good icon design? (simplicity, strong shapes, etc.)

Turn the music down. It gets really loud when you stop talking. Is that because it's free thru YouTube so you can't control volume? If so, you may want to license one piece of stock music to use in all videos so you have volume control.

At the end, Suggest people visit your site for more icon design and to license your icons!

Best of luck...I hope this brings a lot of traffic.

Thanks for the feedback.. so many things that I missed..

music is from youtube audio library, but I could have turned it down.. I will try to optimize that next time..

I will probably try and improve on all things you mentioned..

the reason I had the montage at the end, was that I didn't want to bore the audience with my website ad right away :) it's a bit too long (30 seconds) and youtube suggests to keep the intros short, so people don't go away..

I had trouble drawing while trying to record the screen at the same time.. I need to get used to it.. that should naturally improve if I continue doing it I guess..

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:44 by cidepix »

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 11:36 »
+2
nice tutorial! I must say i really like your logo with the CID creating that box. best of luck on your sales from your site.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 11:44 »
+1
nice tutorial! I must say i really like your logo with the CID creating that box. best of luck on your sales from your site.

thanks..  ;)

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 18:58 »
+2
Great job! I liked the video and subscribed (I'm nosheep on YouTube) to your channel.

I would like to see some more basic tutorials as well. For example, you say that you can refine your curves and lines. That would be a great topic for another tutorial.

While I understand that you want to keep your intro short, a cut-down version of the end montage wouldn't be out of place at the beginning.

Love the icon and keep up the great work!!

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 19:23 »
Great job! I liked the video and subscribed (I'm nosheep on YouTube) to your channel.

I would like to see some more basic tutorials as well. For example, you say that you can refine your curves and lines. That would be a great topic for another tutorial.

While I understand that you want to keep your intro short, a cut-down version of the end montage wouldn't be out of place at the beginning.

Love the icon and keep up the great work!!

Thanks for the sub and valuable feedback..  ;)

I have some more icon drawings lined up.. your suggestion definitely sounds good and I will try and do a tutorial about that at some point.. (hopefully soon..)

current intro is an extremely cut-down version of the end montage.. I prepared the ending montage first and just took the final bit and placed it to the start of the video.. I will see what I can do about it.. If I can keep it below 20 seconds, that could be acceptable..

Thanks again..

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 20:49 »
+3

the reason I had the montage at the end, was that I didn't want to bore the audience with my website ad right away :) it's a bit too long (30 seconds) and youtube suggests to keep the intros short, so people don't go away..

There's a lot of good stuff there, but for me (a sometime illustrator who doesn't do logos) the montage is actually a reason to keep watching - it shows some very eye-catching items that says to me "this person knows what he's doing and it's worth sticking around for the tutorial".

I'd strongly suggest that you put the montage up front. I agree that you could speed it up a little for the intro without losing anything from the impact.

I didn't actually find it to be as much a tutorial as watching you work. There were some useful hints here and there but not enough talking. Whatching the shapes be tweaked could be shortened a lot - it doesn't help me much unless it goes with some commentary to point out something helpful. Your work is lovely and more talk over a shorter video would be a big winner, IMO.

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 02:20 »
+1
Wow, it's so much work with one graphic project! I'm not sure if I had so much patience ;) And your work is great! Good luck with your conpcept, keep it going and never give up, I believe it will work well for you... I've tried something similar with my photos, making slideshows for YT. I got to many people and focused their attention, I've found clients this way and can tell you it works :)

Millionstock.com

• Architecture; Arts; Historic buildings, Landscapes

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 04:14 »
+1
NICE tutorial :-)
Good luck!

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 08:25 »

There's a lot of good stuff there, but for me (a sometime illustrator who doesn't do logos) the montage is actually a reason to keep watching - it shows some very eye-catching items that says to me "this person knows what he's doing and it's worth sticking around for the tutorial".

I'd strongly suggest that you put the montage up front. I agree that you could speed it up a little for the intro without losing anything from the impact.

I didn't actually find it to be as much a tutorial as watching you work. There were some useful hints here and there but not enough talking. Whatching the shapes be tweaked could be shortened a lot - it doesn't help me much unless it goes with some commentary to point out something helpful. Your work is lovely and more talk over a shorter video would be a big winner, IMO.

Hello Jo Ann,

Thanks for the feedback.. bolded part made me think about it more..

Shelma, elvinstar and now you.. already 3 feedbacks mentioning the same thing.. I will have to do something about it..  :D

the rest of your post is also very helpful.. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:37 by cidepix »

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 08:33 »
+1
Wow, it's so much work with one graphic project! I'm not sure if I had so much patience ;) And your work is great! Good luck with your conpcept, keep it going and never give up, I believe it will work well for you... I've tried something similar with my photos, making slideshows for YT. I got to many people and focused their attention, I've found clients this way and can tell you it works :)

Thanks..

about the part I bolded: not every drawing takes this long.. there are very big sellers in my port that I created in 10-15 minutes (no time lapse) :)

this took longer because it's a little shinier and I hadn't drawn anything for a while, so felt a bit rusty.. plus the recording software was a new thing to deal with.. some parts of the drawing process are missing, even though I thought I recorded it  ;D you have to remember to press that "record" button.. it sounds simple but mistakes do happen when you are not used to it..

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 08:35 »
NICE tutorial :-)
Good luck!

Thanks  ;)

Semmick Photo

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 08:39 »
+1
Nice work dude. I agree, more talking and moving the outro to the beginning and make it your intro.

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 08:43 »
Nice work dude. I agree, more talking and moving the outro to the beginning and make it your intro.

Thanks Ron! I will have to do that now  :)