MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Fotolia rejections... their reasons are not true  (Read 4356 times)

« on: March 16, 2015, 16:29 »
I've been a contributing photographer to DT for many years and I know the reviewers try to review as many images as possible as quickly as possible. DT would occasionally reject an image with a reason that was not true. But Fotolia takes the cake on this issue! Some of my best sellers on DT are getting rejected on Fotolia for Too Much Noise or not being at least 4 MP - stuff that is completely untrue. Has anyone experienced this with Fotolia? And to combat this has anyone re-uploaded a previously rejected image and got it accepted at Fotolia?

Thanks for the info. I must say I'm completely shocked that a reputable microstock agency would reject images that could make them a lot of money!

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 16:52 »
+5

Thanks for the info. I must say I'm completely shocked that a reputable microstock agency would reject images that could make them a lot of money!

Fotolia is nor reputable, wrong word.  i think u need diffrent expression.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 17:07 »
+10
Unless something is absolutely unique a reject won't cost the site a cent - there are usually tons of alternatives to any image.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 19:41 »
... But Fotolia takes the cake on this issue! Some of my best sellers on DT are getting rejected on Fotolia for Too Much Noise or not being at least 4 MP - stuff that is completely untrue. Has anyone experienced this with Fotolia? And to combat this has anyone re-uploaded a previously rejected image and got it accepted at Fotolia?
This is a lesson that you have to learn. A bestseller in an agency is not automatically a bestseller in another agency. Fotolia puts great emphasis on technical quality. Have a look at your pictures and upload only pictures to Fotolia, of which you are convinced. Actually I don't like Fotolia, but I have good sales there, fortunately, the sales increase again for me. So you have to learn, which requirements each agency have. Then you will earn money too!

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 20:18 »
+1
Image size is a matter of simple calculation.  If Fotolia says your image is smaller than 4mp, then it probably is.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 21:29 »
+1
Roede-orm, Good advice! I hear what you're saying about learning how each agency may be looking for different types of photos. After reading more posts about Fotolia, I'm starting to see how they work differently than DT. Thanks.

hatman12, I've been a designer for over twenty years and a photographer for almost five. I know what 4MP is and I know how to calculate the MP size of an image. No disrespect intended to you. Just saying... my images that were rejected were not under sized.

Thanks for the replies everyone! It has been helpful.

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 23:38 »
So, what was the pixel size of the bigger-than-4mp image that was rejected?

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 00:10 »
+1
Pixel size in microns or image size in pixels?

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 00:29 »
So, what was the pixel size of the bigger-than-4mp image that was rejected?

3,99 mpixel

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 00:30 »
Sorry.  The X by Y pixel dimensions.

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 07:52 »
... But Fotolia takes the cake on this issue! Some of my best sellers on DT are getting rejected on Fotolia for Too Much Noise or not being at least 4 MP - stuff that is completely untrue. Has anyone experienced this with Fotolia? And to combat this has anyone re-uploaded a previously rejected image and got it accepted at Fotolia?
This is a lesson that you have to learn. A bestseller in an agency is not automatically a bestseller in another agency. Fotolia puts great emphasis on technical quality. Have a look at your pictures and upload only pictures to Fotolia, of which you are convinced. Actually I don't like Fotolia, but I have good sales there, fortunately, the sales increase again for me. So you have to learn, which requirements each agency have. Then you will earn money too!

Nah, they just have their likes and dislikes - I've had stuff accepted there that I wouldn't even submit to DT or SS.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 11:09 »
Sean, The pixel dimensions on my smallest images were 3350 pixels by 2200 pixels, roughly 7.37 MP. I only reduced some photos to this size to tighten up any issues on focus. Most of my photos are between 10-16 MP.

I must admit to being a bit starstruck, you're one of my heroes! :-) Thanks for joining this discussion.

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 13:04 »
if the reason for the rejection is not listed, they will pick anything from the list

DC

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 13:37 »
+2
Fotolia doesn't actually choose a reason, they just send out an email listing pretty much every possible thing that could be wrong with an image.

The email starts with this:

"We are sorry to inform you that your photograph was not accepted because it contains one or more the following technical issues:"

Less than 4 MP is just one of the many reasons listed.  Their rejection emails aren't even worth reading.  You should just ignore them and keep shooting and uploading.

They are also more picky than DT in what they will accept.

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 15:39 »
+1
DT accept almost everything and sell BAD!! (Yes, images with noise, below average images sell there best,no offense dude), fotolia accept just best, clean, contrast and isolated images and sell great. I will close my DT account, only 1% of all income (SS, FT, iS). DT is no worth the effort for me. Worst stock!

Sorry for bad english.

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 17:36 »
+1
For a long time I wondered if FT ever rejected images  ;)   True, they sell may more images but at a fraction of the price.  Income wise they're starting to edge ahead of DT but very little in it.

dbvirago

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 17:51 »
+2
I quit reading FT reject reasons a week after I joined, over 8 years ago. They've always been useless

No Free Lunch

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 18:08 »
+1
I quit reading FT reject reasons a week after I joined, over 8 years ago. They've always been useless

Aren't most rejections useless no matter from which company  ???

dbvirago

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 18:43 »
+2
Wasn't always that way. Rejections from SS, IS and DT were useful when I started, FT's never were.