pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: New photos = no sales  (Read 15934 times)

« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2015, 13:34 »
+3
I would worry more about what is my own port.

ultimagina

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2015, 13:43 »
Shutterstock says they don't manipulate the search, if they did then surely there would be some solid evidence by now.  If you look at the "popular" search you'll see very good images not bad images by new contributors at the top.  There are many other real reasons why sales could be falling that don't involve conspiracies and search manipulation.

Exactly my point!

I would worry more about what is my own port.

Exactly! Please let PB know about this, since he is more concerned about the falling sales of his 120k/year friend that his own success. ;)

... what was in high demand is no more because designers are looking for new stuff like filtered images that old timers consider stupid old out of focus faded Polaroids, so they want nothing to do with the trend and the BUS has run over them.

Agree. Customers are tired of that "good old" business handshake which used to sell like hot cakes 10 years ago. There might still be a demand, but it is a falling demand.

You are being deluged by ports from IS and their work is at least on par with most images at shutterstock and in some cases much better. To top it off new ports are being given priority in the search.

Here you go! This is valid explanation!
Except that not the new ports are given priority, but the new images, as stated earlier on this topic.
And it is normal to be like this. Otherwise those "new" images which are, as you said, "at least on par" with the best from SS, would never get their deserved place on top of the popularity ranks.

This is called competition, like or not!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 14:32 by ultimagaina »

« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2015, 14:38 »
+13
Wow Ultimagia, you are either deliberately trying to mischaracterize my posts, or you are really not good at following a train of thought.  Let me try to make it simple for you.

1.  I am not a big fish or a small one.  I been at this around 5 years and managed to get between 5k and 6k online, varying by site.

2.  My main concern is my own income and paying my own bills.

3.  I ONLY brought my more successful friend in to refute your ridiculous statement that successful people aren't complaining about sales, and if your sales are down you are the only one to blame.  If he wants to chime in here he can, but unlike me, he's probably too smart to waste his time.

4. The past couple years I  have seem trends, not conspiracies, that have effected my income.  These include greater competition, which is inevitable,  but also actions by the agencies, like lower prices, images given away for free, shady distribution deals, royalty credit schemes designed to lower our royalty percentages, OD sales turning to sub sales, and total meltdown of what was the top site when I started.  You don't need a crystal ball to see this is not going in good direction.

5. I sold 15% MORE photos in 2014 then 2013, but made 20% LESS.  That's not a conspiracy,  that's a FACT, and if it's my fault for producing sh*t, then why did I sell more?  For me its a bummer to be down a couple k per year, but if that 20% was a loss of 20k I would be real upset!

Some top sellers like Yuri, Dolgachov, Elena, and a few others come in here once in awhile, and they seem to also mention sales are going down for them. But most of the top guys don't waste their time here anymore arguing with the uninformed and dogmatic blowhards who seem so prevalent here now.  I shouldn't have bothered either.   It's like arguing with my 5 year old only at least she's  cute.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 14:50 by PixelBytes »

« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2015, 14:55 »
+5
Couple years ago averaged $2.20 - 2.55/ rpi per month.  These days more like $1.10 - 1.25. 

Wow Ultimagia, you are either deliberately trying to mischaracterize my posts, or you are really not good at following a train of thought.  Let me try to make it simple for you.

1.  I am not a big fish or a small one.  I been at this around 5 years and managed to get between 5k and 6k online, varying by site.

3.  I ONLY brought my more successful friend in to refute your ridiculous statement that successful people aren't complaining about sales, and if your sales are down you are the only one to blame.  If he wants to chime in here he can, but unlike me, he's probably too smart to waste his time.

4. The past couple years I  have seem trends, not conspiracies, that have effected my income.  These include greater competition, which is inevitable,  but also actions by the agencies, like lower prices, images given away for free, shady distribution deals, DFC, OD sales turning to sub sales, and total meltdown of what was the top site when I started.  You don't need a crystal ball to see this is not going in good direction.

5. I sold 15% MORE photos in 2014 then 2013, but made 20% LESS.  That's not a conspiracy,  that's a FACT, and if it's my fault for producing sh*t, then why did I sell more?  For me its a bummer to be down a couple k per year, but if that 20% was a loss of 20k I would be real upset!

Some top sellers like Yuri, Dolgachov, Elena, and a few others come in here once in awhile, and they seem to also mention sales are going down for them. But most of the top guys don't waste their time here anymore arguing with the uninformed and dogmatic blowhards who seem so prevalent here now.  I shouldn't have bothered either.   It's like arguing with my 5 year old only at least she's  cute.
Aren't you down about 20k?  You said in the other thread your RPI was about $1.25/month, that's $7,500 per month or about $90,000 per year.  If you are down 20% then you are down $22, 500, right?   If you are telling the truth about your numbers RPI $1.25, 6000 images then you wouldn't be down a couple thousand you would be down 10x that.  Which numbers are you fudging here? 
If you are down a couple thousand like you say and you are down 20% that would mean you make about $8,000/year now, that's a pretty big difference from $90,000/year which you are claiming with those RPI numbers.  It just doesn't add up.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 15:26 by tickstock »

ultimagina

« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2015, 21:39 »
Nice!
But seeing the math presented by tickstock above, and if indeed your are making 90k/year, then you are not far from what your friend is making (120k-140k). Same ballpark. So your case is very similar to your friends' case: you had similar losses (~20k/year). If so, it would have been more honest to use your own case instead of bringing "a friend" in the discussion.

Or maybe it is the other alternative offered by tickstock: you make about 8k-9k/year. If this is true, then that's not so much for someone with 6k photos online. You definitely have a a lot of good competitors eating a good slice of your pie.

Anyway, you better check your math. ;)

Good! It is also very noble to defend those who din't ask for your help.

Follow the logic, since you missed it last time: if "he" (or you?) is complaining, and you explain how painful it is to lose 20k/year (I agree), then it means that he didn't "plan" to have 20k less and he suffers because of it. Or in other words, he failed to meet his own goal.

In my world, failure and success are mutually exclusive, when using the same reference point.

If he would have planned to make 20k less, then yes, he would have been successful, despite the losses. Because he would have achieved his goal. And it wouldn't have been painful (as it is for your friend), because it was expected and planned for.

4. The past couple years I  have seem trends, not conspiracies, that have effected my income.  These include greater competition, which is inevitable,  but also actions by the agencies, like lower prices, images given away for free, shady distribution deals, royalty credit schemes designed to lower our royalty percentages, OD sales turning to sub sales, and total meltdown of what was the top site when I started.  You don't need a crystal ball to see this is not going in good direction.
I'm happy to see that you don't believe in conspiracies and you understand that no agency has any interest to penalize specific contributors.

You don't have to explain that some contributors see sales falling. On the other hand, other contributors see their sales growing.
For me, this is only normal and part of a normal competition in the market place, either between the overgrowing number of contributors, or between agencies, competing on quality, services or prices.

Simple economics.

If you don't like an agency, just drop it and find something better.

I'm sorry for your 2k or the 20k. Bummer indeed. See the above comment: this is competition.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 22:22 by ultimagaina »

« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2015, 06:49 »
+7
this 3d as gone so far away from it's central point that could be brought in universities and be a subject for psicological/sociological studies

1- The title is clear "New photos = No sales" and NOT "sales are down"

2- The statement: New images don't sell is not true because we have reported that many of us have images that sell a lot the day after uploading

3- The statement that incomes are down is also be true as reported by older and more experienced contributors

so there is really nothing to speak and worse fight about...if i was a moderator i would have close this ages ago :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:53 by mojaric »

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2015, 23:23 »
Couple years ago averaged $2.20 - 2.55/ rpi per month.  These days more like $1.10 - 1.25. 

4. The past couple years I  have seem trends, not conspiracies, that have effected my income.  These include greater competition, which is inevitable,  but also actions by the agencies, like lower prices, images given away for free, shady distribution deals, DFC, OD sales turning to sub sales, and total meltdown of what was the top site when I started.  You don't need a crystal ball to see this is not going in good direction.

Aren't you down about 20k?  You said in the other thread your RPI was about $1.25/month, that's $7,500 per month or about $90,000 per year.  If you are down 20% then you are down $22, 500, right?   If you are telling the truth about your numbers RPI $1.25, 6000 images then you wouldn't be down a couple thousand you would be down 10x that.  Which numbers are you fudging here? 
If you are down a couple thousand like you say and you are down 20% that would mean you make about $8,000/year now, that's a pretty big difference from $90,000/year which you are claiming with those RPI numbers.  It just doesn't add up.

Your right.   My maths don't add up. Not so much fudged as effed up..  The first post should have read rpd instead of rpi.

None of this changes the fact that even when my sales go up, the income goes down.  I have lost money, others lost much more and a lot of us upset.  Which is a result of agencies changes to prices and TOS.  I am not a mathematician, but I am a micro photographer and this downward slide is affecting not just me but a lot more people.

My last thoughts on the topic, since mojaric is right, this whole debate wandered way OT.

« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2015, 23:32 »
+1

Your right.   My maths don't add up. Not so much fudged as effed up..  The first post should have read rpd instead of rpi.

None of this changes the fact that even when my sales go up, the income goes down.  I have lost money, others lost much more and a lot of us upset.  Which is a result of agencies changes to prices and TOS.  I am not a mathematician, but I am a micro photographer and this downward slide is affecting not just me but a lot more people.
The thread was titled "RPI", you wrote RPI, and the rest of your response was describing RPI
Couple years ago averaged $2.20 - 2.55/ rpi per month. These days more like $1.10 - 1.25.  Lots of factors in play.  Among those is that  as your port grows your sales gets dituted and rpi goes down. 
It's clear you were talking about RPI, your port size has nothing to do with RPD.  And what would RPD per month even mean? 

But you're right this off topic.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 23:40 by tickstock »

ultimagina

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34 »

I have lost money, others lost much more and a lot of us upset.  Which is a result of agencies changes to prices and TOS.

That + you suffer from an increased competition from a lot of new talented microstockers. Nothing new.

And this:
My maths don't add up. Not so much fudged as effed up..
should put doubts on your whole analysis. But I give you credit for the guts to admit that you were wrong.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:53 by ultimagaina »

ultimagina

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2015, 10:35 »
+2
These are also "my last thoughts on the topic, since mojaric is right, this whole debate wandered way OT"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:44 by ultimagaina »