pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Studio Space?  (Read 5499 times)

« on: March 25, 2015, 02:11 »
Just wondering what everyone does for a studio? I want to start photographing people in studio and out, outside the studio is a whole other question but for in studio once you start setting up a scene to photograph you need a pretty big space so just wondering if people are renting a space or working out of their garage or using a facility at a college or something? If you rent any tips on where to find large spaces for cheap?

My plan at the moment is to convert the garage but then I am not sure if that would come across as professional if you hire models or if it would be large enough?

Thanks

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:22 »
I guess no one works out of a studio here?

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:34 »
+1
Maybe give some more info.  Budget, what you plan to use the space for, how much will you use it, where are you located, what kind of equipment do you want to use, etc...  There are lots of solutions depending what problems you want solved.  If you just want waist up portraits a spare room will work, full body a garage would probably be better, multiple people on a set you need something larger, real looking locations you would probably want to rent that space. 

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 11:50 »
+1
Maybe give some more info.  Budget, what you plan to use the space for, how much will you use it, where are you located, what kind of equipment do you want to use, etc...  There are lots of solutions depending what problems you want solved.  If you just want waist up portraits a spare room will work, full body a garage would probably be better, multiple people on a set you need something larger, real looking locations you would probably want to rent that space.

Do office buildings rent spaces on a short term basis?

I am wanting to transition from taking pictures of objects to taking pictures of one or more people interacting with various stuff. I have watched videos on other photographers demonstrating what they do and they all seem to have pretty large studio spaces so I am trying to figure out something that will be large enough and affordable starting out. Also what is a reasonable distance for a model to travel. I guess I am trying to find out if there is a industry standard on how most photographers operate in terms of location to a big city and if it is considered unprofessional to work out of your garage when working with models and if anyone has any pointers from their own journey and experience in this process as everyone has to start somewhere?

It would seem like a bad idea to go rent some large space for several hundred dollars a month just starting out until you have gained experience and got good at taking photos with people in settings.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 12:17 »
+4
It would seem like a bad idea to go rent some large space for several hundred dollars a month just starting out until you have gained experience and got good at taking photos with people in settings.
Sounds like you have your answer already.  I'm inferring that you are pretty new to this.  I think the best advice is to figure out your needs and then look for a solution that works.  Going out and renting a studio space is probably not the best plan for you.  What equipment do you have?  Do you want a cyc wall?  Lots of lights and big softboxes?  Are you looking for a cheap option or one that will make your work faster and easier to setup?  What's your budget?  Once you start answering some of these questions you can narrow your focus.  It doesn't really matter what other people are doing, different people value different things and have different needs.

You are also asking how far is it reasonable for a model to travel, the answer probably is it depends how much you are paying.  Models go all over the world for shoots but if you aren't paying them anything then you can't reasonably expect them to go very far.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 12:24 by tickstock »

No Free Lunch

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 12:43 »
+1

Follow your own advice  8)

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 17:07 »
+2
Rent a studio by the hour?

No Free Lunch

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 17:11 »
+1

A know a few run down motels that you can rent by the hour 8)

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 19:12 »
Sounds like you have your answer already.  I'm inferring that you are pretty new to this.  I think the best advice is to figure out your needs and then look for a solution that works.  Going out and renting a studio space is probably not the best plan for you.  What equipment do you have?  Do you want a cyc wall?  Lots of lights and big softboxes?  Are you looking for a cheap option or one that will make your work faster and easier to setup?  What's your budget?  Once you start answering some of these questions you can narrow your focus.  It doesn't really matter what other people are doing, different people value different things and have different needs.

You are also asking how far is it reasonable for a model to travel, the answer probably is it depends how much you are paying.  Models go all over the world for shoots but if you aren't paying them anything then you can't reasonably expect them to go very far.

I have some studio equipment already and have been working out of my home as a studio photographing objects, but with people I am going to need more space. Thats why I am wondering what others are doing and if they have faced similar challenges and what they did to solve their space problem. I obviously could convert the garage but before I do I wanted to hear from others who have done that and if it worked out or if they found themselves needing more space. Or if they rented a commercial space and what is a reasonable price for something like that or if they rented  a space and what unforeseen things may have happened because of it? Even though I am new to photographing people I am willing to jump in if it seems plausible for renting a space. My other thought was to enroll in a college photography class and use the university studios and weather anyone had tried that and how that worked out?

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 19:34 »
+1
Find a large commercial space that will rent by the day - community halls, office buildings, libraries with meeting, presentation rooms etc, preferably a place with at least one large white wall.  Bear in mind that you might require much more powerful studio lighting - those that work well for objects at home may not have enough power in a full length setting.  To get the best result you are going to have to spend some money.

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 21:11 »
Find a large commercial space that will rent by the day - community halls, office buildings, libraries with meeting, presentation rooms etc, preferably a place with at least one large white wall.  Bear in mind that you might require much more powerful studio lighting - those that work well for objects at home may not have enough power in a full length setting.  To get the best result you are going to have to spend some money.

Currently I have three Einstein E640 Flash Units, do you think these are powerful enough and if not do you have any suggestions?

I have one 60" Octabox a 37 In Octabox and two small rectangle soft boxes. Any suggestions on anything else I might need starting out.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 22:19 »
Depends.  If you want to blow out a white background to 255 with full length models you are going to need four flashes just for the background - you won't get an even 255 white background with just two lights as they won't cover the entire wall.  You might get away with just one light for front side lighting but then the hair will likely look dull - most pros will use an overhead light to add sheen to hair.  Also one front light might not give an even light full length - you can imagine the need to have two flashes one above the other to give even lighting full length.  You can try to do it all with just three units but you're going to have problems with uneven lighting, inability to blow out the background completely, and possibly inability to fully light a standing subject from the front.

640W units might be enough, but bear in mind the square multiplying factor of distance - if your current units give you F11 shooting small to medium size objects in a home studio situation, those same units might only give you F5.6 when you move them back a few feet to light a person.

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 23:04 »
Depends.  If you want to blow out a white background to 255 with full length models you are going to need four flashes just for the background - you won't get an even 255 white background with just two lights as they won't cover the entire wall.  You might get away with just one light for front side lighting but then the hair will likely look dull - most pros will use an overhead light to add sheen to hair.  Also one front light might not give an even light full length - you can imagine the need to have two flashes one above the other to give even lighting full length.  You can try to do it all with just three units but you're going to have problems with uneven lighting, inability to blow out the background completely, and possibly inability to fully light a standing subject from the front.

640W units might be enough, but bear in mind the square multiplying factor of distance - if your current units give you F11 shooting small to medium size objects in a home studio situation, those same units might only give you F5.6 when you move them back a few feet to light a person.

Thanks Hatman, looks like I'm going to need to buy some more gear!

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 23:26 »
I have a fairly large studio and I use Alien Bees lighting.  I shoot pure white backdrops frequently using two B800 units set very close to the white vinyl backdrop.  Often I will use a B1600 for a key light (and a large octobox) and another B800 for fill (usually a medium softbox).  I usually meter for around f11 on the subject.  If the backdrop lights are turned up all the way that will usually blow the background out to pure white without it spilling back on the subject (at f16+).  You need some space, though because the subject can't be too close to the backdrop. 

More artistic lighting scenarios require anywhere from one to five lights for me.  I don't generally use the 6th light even though I have one.

My studio was too small at first (I'd say 13 feet by 17 feet) but I was able to knock down a wall to more than double the work space.  Now I have enough to do two lighting setups simultaneously which is a great time savings when you are paying a model by the hour.

I am fortunate to have been able to buy my own commercial building (it's an investment).  I did a lot of the remodeling work myself and it's really nice inside now.  Unfortunately to be able to afford to buy I had to purchase in an outlying area so it's a 35 minute drive from my house.

If you like, you can see my studio here: http://www.chriscurtisphotography.com/?page_id=304

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 01:59 »

The few times I've needed a studio I rented one by the hour.  There is possibly some photo studios already set up with a nice space.  If they have time when the studio isn't being used, there is a good chance they will rent it out (by the hour).  A studio that is will to rent their space is going to be one where a few photographers work together, or a studio space set up specifically for renting out.  The large portrait studios aren't going to rent their space.

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 02:28 »
+1
Certainly in the UK its not hard to find studios with good lighting etc. from about 30 an hour. If you do some calculations unless you are doing LOTS of shoots you might find this quite economical.

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 02:35 »
I have a fairly large studio and I use Alien Bees lighting.  I shoot pure white backdrops frequently using two B800 units set very close to the white vinyl backdrop.  Often I will use a B1600 for a key light (and a large octobox) and another B800 for fill (usually a medium softbox).  I usually meter for around f11 on the subject.  If the backdrop lights are turned up all the way that will usually blow the background out to pure white without it spilling back on the subject (at f16+).  You need some space, though because the subject can't be too close to the backdrop. 

More artistic lighting scenarios require anywhere from one to five lights for me.  I don't generally use the 6th light even though I have one.

My studio was too small at first (I'd say 13 feet by 17 feet) but I was able to knock down a wall to more than double the work space.  Now I have enough to do two lighting setups simultaneously which is a great time savings when you are paying a model by the hour.

I am fortunate to have been able to buy my own commercial building (it's an investment).  I did a lot of the remodeling work myself and it's really nice inside now.  Unfortunately to be able to afford to buy I had to purchase in an outlying area so it's a 35 minute drive from my house.

If you like, you can see my studio here: http://www.chriscurtisphotography.com/?page_id=304

Very Nice! So you mentioned having two Lighting set ups, how do you plan that out, speaking form no experience I just imagined that I would have some ideas in mind and have the models try the ideas and also just do things on the fly which would mean also figuring out lighting on the fly. Are you saying that you already have the lighting all set up exactly how you want it before the model shows up?

So are you making your living from photography? It looks like from your website that you do mostly Portraiture for people who walk in? Or are you making your living from Stock Photography or Both?

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 07:54 »

Correct.  I have a 3-car garage. What I did was have a Tough Shed put in my back yard then I loaded thing from my garage into that, like my lawn mowers, gardening supplies, prop totes, fertilizers, ladders, etc. My overhead is 10 feet high which gives me plenty of room for lights. I keep a very tight ship to ensure the floor is clutter free and I have a large cement floor free to move around and stage.  I have a small area designated for stands, tripods, lights and soft box storage when Im done. I then can easily park my car in the garage when not using, when using all I have to do is back out the car and I am ready to go.  The trick is to keep the garage clean. Works for me. 

No Free Lunch

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 08:06 »
wrong link... see next comment

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:12 by No Free Lunch »

ruxpriencdiam

This user is banned.
  • Location. Third stone from the sun
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 08:28 »
+1

Tror

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 08:37 »
If you talk about a simple studio in the means of: strobes+light+softboxes+reflectors+background+lotsofspaceinbetween then I would go as well for the rental studios. Never had a problem to find one anywhere in the world.

In my case I set up a huge space with different sets of furniture etc. since I produce mostly lifestyle and it is cheaper than finding spaces with property releases and paying per hour etc.

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 09:32 »

Very Nice! So you mentioned having two Lighting set ups, how do you plan that out, speaking form no experience I just imagined that I would have some ideas in mind and have the models try the ideas and also just do things on the fly which would mean also figuring out lighting on the fly. Are you saying that you already have the lighting all set up exactly how you want it before the model shows up?

So are you making your living from photography? It looks like from your website that you do mostly Portraiture for people who walk in? Or are you making your living from Stock Photography or Both?

Yes, when I hire a model, it's for a specific concept.  I plan what I'm going to shoot and how I'm going to light it in advance.  Then I go to the studio the day before and set up the lighting  and the set.  Then when the model shows up, there are just tweaks to make.

Model time is expensive and I want to get the most shots possible so I do a lot of prep.

I don't make my living from photography currently.  Doing stock part time pays for all my equipment.  It also pays the costs to hire models or travel around to do art projects just for myself that isn't intended for stock.  But I'm not going to  be quitting the day job any time soon.

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 11:25 »
If you talk about a simple studio in the means of: strobes+light+softboxes+reflectors+background+lotsofspaceinbetween then I would go as well for the rental studios. Never had a problem to find one anywhere in the world.

In my case I set up a huge space with different sets of furniture etc. since I produce mostly lifestyle and it is cheaper than finding spaces with property releases and paying per hour etc.

Thanks that is the kind of experience I am talking about, finding a spot, having a limited time frame and getting a property release plus paying per hour, there are a lot of possible complications there. So either converting a garage or renting a spot month to month or yearly sounds like a good option as I also want to start doing lifestyle and business settings.

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 11:26 »

Yes, when I hire a model, it's for a specific concept.  I plan what I'm going to shoot and how I'm going to light it in advance.  Then I go to the studio the day before and set up the lighting  and the set.  Then when the model shows up, there are just tweaks to make.

Model time is expensive and I want to get the most shots possible so I do a lot of prep.

I don't make my living from photography currently.  Doing stock part time pays for all my equipment.  It also pays the costs to hire models or travel around to do art projects just for myself that isn't intended for stock.  But I'm not going to  be quitting the day job any time soon.

Well I think you will be full time in the future for sure looks like you are on your way.