pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Tethering Question?  (Read 2549 times)

« on: March 26, 2015, 13:53 »
I have a lot of questions today!

When I tether from camera to computer when in the studio My histogram on my camera does not match the histogram in Lightroom. So my camera will show that I have blown out the white background when photographing an isolated object but in Lightroom it does not show it as blown out, how can I fix this problem so that the camera and Lightroom have the same histogram results?

Thanks

Semmick Photo

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 17:00 »
Forget the histogram, just look at the photo. Do you have blown out whites or not, if not, then you are good to go, regardless of what the histogram tells you. And if you shoot RAW the white parts are often not blown out at all and still contain enough detail.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 17:05 »
Forget the histogram, just look at the photo. Do you have blown out whites or not, if not, then you are good to go, regardless of what the histogram tells you. And if you shoot RAW the white parts are often not blown out at all and still contain enough detail.

Yeah I always shoot raw, the reason I am concerned with the Histogram is that I want solid pure white when doing an isolation so if the camera is saying yes I am blown out but then Lightroom is not then I am not sure which one is right.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 17:09 »
You can always measure the white value in Lightroom and go by the numbers. It's the best way to see if your whites are maxed out.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 22:25 »
You can always measure the white value in Lightroom and go by the numbers. It's the best way to see if your whites are maxed out.
Good Point I never thought of that!

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 00:53 »
+1
With my Canon 5Dii I always have it set to 'blink' the overexposed areas.  I use this blinking as a 'shoot to the right' aid instead of a histogram.  In the studio when shooting isolated on white I expose for the main subject then adjust the lighting onto the white background by changing the power of the strobes until the entire white background enters blinking territory.  This usually gives perfect isolation without light spill - the background is only overexposed by a half to one stop.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 01:16 »
+4
I assume you shooting RAW. The histogram on your DSLR is showing the values for the JPEG preview you see on camera while LR is showing you a proper histogram for the RAW file.

JKB

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 06:13 »
I assume you shooting RAW. The histogram on your DSLR is showing the values for the JPEG preview you see on camera while LR is showing you a proper histogram for the RAW file.

Also, if you press J when in the LR development module anything that's clipped to pure white will show as red, and anything to pure black as blue.
You can also hover the cursor over one of the histogram triangles to see the black or white clipping briefly, or toggle it on or off by clicking on the triangles.
Useful features.  :)

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:26 »

Totally agree, the secret is in settings that you put in your camera that affect jpeg created from raw file (and which is shown in the screen). So, I would put the camera settings like contrast etc to the default value. The other thing to try is to generate jpeg in camera and see if the histogram values in lightroom differ from camera screen.