MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: About site's future  (Read 4369 times)

« on: March 27, 2015, 10:40 »
I want to ask you. We are uploading a lot of images. People even is uploading than more 50K images to iStock. They are devoted their life to iStockphoto. (I'm talking about exlusives) Alright.  One day,does iStock down forever? I really wonder this question's answer. What do we do then?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 10:46 »
+1
Everyone will have to decide for themselves to do in this quite probable scenario. I'm sure you won't get a consensus.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 10:46 »
Take action starting now and diversify your portfolio amongst multiple agencies.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:48 »
Dollar photo club?

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 11:03 »
+10
Going down forever isn't as big a problem as the declining earnings. My return on new material seems to be down to about 25c per year per image which means it is already scarcely better than a waste of time to upload there - even though it still clings to second place in my monthly earnings list. I think it's already a fool's game to be desperately trying to upload enough images to cling on to the same earnings you had last year - and if anybody uploads 50,000, how much time are they going to be spending when they have to process each image individually to fill out the CV list and the categories?

I don't believe it is likely that iS will ever vanish, it will remain an asset to be transferred/sold on somewhere else even if Getty Images collapses as a company, and will continue to deliver ever-shrinking returns to artists and a healthy pile of cash to whoever owns the site.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 11:20 »
+8
My return on new material seems to be down to about 25c per year per image which means it is already scarcely better than a waste of time to upload there - even though it still clings to second place in my monthly earnings list.
25 cents per year seems like a waste of time to me.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:22 »
+3
My return on new material seems to be down to about 25c per year per image which means it is already scarcely better than a waste of time to upload there - even though it still clings to second place in my monthly earnings list.
25 cents per year seems like a waste of time to me.
That's what I said.... It's why I'm not bothered about not having uploaded for a while (and, of course, there's always the likelihood that it will go down even further).

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 11:38 »
+1
There is no answer really, as others have already said. Certainly if I was new to this I'd be looking very hard at the options before tying myself to any single agency. It was different 10 years ago.
Again agreeing with others, I don't think iStock will suddenly vanish, but lets admit it, it wouldn't take much for any of the agencies to change beyond all recognition. All it takes is for someone to be put in charge who thinks that they know a better way.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 22:48 »
+13

Regarding iStock, who knows?? My income has dropped but (as an Exclusive) not to the point where I can yet justify jumping ship. I certainly appreciate why others have, but overall it would be extremely difficult to start over again. From what others have posted over the last few years, the grass isn't always greener. iStock isn't what it used to be and likely never will be again. The overall leadership is lacking, poor site, declining revenues, etc etc etc BUT let's fair for just a moment, it still brings in pretty decent revenue for many Exclusives beyond what they could get from most if not all other agencies for minimal ongoing work.

There are plenty of reasons to hate iStock and how the way they have thrown away their market dominance, and how that has cost many of us real money. I can't afford to leave on principle, and the money I continue to make would have been a dream when I started. I'm not here to be a big iStock defender or promoter, but there are some good reasons why some Exclusives have remained. I miss the "community" that used to epitomize iStock, but at the end of the day, I'm only involved in stock photography for money, and at this point there isn't enough of a reason yet to risk the (smaller) bird in my hand for birds on multiple sites in the bush.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:55 by leaf »

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 07:43 »
+5
SnowDog's post above says it all for me.

Beppe Grillo

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 09:29 »
+1
Don't put all your eggs in one basket, even if Easter is close

Batman

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 11:31 »
+2
SnowDog's post above says it all for me.

Agree and IS not going any place or close sudden like the small underfunded sites.

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 11:44 »
It will always be a strong source for mid-stock images. Shooters doing quality unique, niche work who really understand the marketplace and buyer demand will do very well.

Hobbists, shooting snap-shots in saturated categories will not earn much.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 11:45 »
+3
It will always be a strong source for mid-stock images.
I doubt very much if 'always' will be accurate. Nothing near.

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 11:58 »
+7
Shooters doing quality unique, niche work who really understand the marketplace and buyer demand will do very well.

People with those skills should probably not be selling their stuff at the prices they offer there now, should they? There must be better outlets.

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 14:52 »
+1
Shooters doing quality unique, niche work who really understand the marketplace and buyer demand will do very well.

People with those skills should probably not be selling their stuff at the prices they offer there now, should they? There must be better outlets.

good point. dunno if there are better outlets with lots of buyers. Corbis and Getty --  but IS top shooters can get mirrored into Getty.

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 07:32 »
+7
SnowDog, I'm in the same boat with you. Those of us Exclusive have a tough decision as to when it no longer makes sense. For beginners, I recommend not going exclusive. It's to tough to get the RC's to advance up the pay scale as an exclusive. iStock has had to grandfather the RC's levels to stop any outcry of the people falling due to lack of sales. Sales are increasing on the sub sites that do not generate RC's. It's just not a good plan for a beginner. For those of us grandfathered at higher RC levels - it's tough to calculate a non-exclusive approach that makes sense.

Looking at the numbers at the right - if an IS Ex is making 210 units of income, to give that up means he has to work in the top 7 sites to break even. I know that many of my 2003-2005 era portfolio shots would likely not pass inspections at many of these sites today. I can't jump.

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 09:56 »
+3
SnowDog, I'm in the same boat with you. Those of us Exclusive have a tough decision as to when it no longer makes sense. For beginners, I recommend not going exclusive. It's to tough to get the RC's to advance up the pay scale as an exclusive. iStock has had to grandfather the RC's levels to stop any outcry of the people falling due to lack of sales. Sales are increasing on the sub sites that do not generate RC's. It's just not a good plan for a beginner. For those of us grandfathered at higher RC levels - it's tough to calculate a non-exclusive approach that makes sense.Looking at the numbers at the right - if an IS Ex is making 210 units of income, to give that up means he has to work in the top 7 sites to break even. I know that many of my 2003-2005 era portfolio shots would likely not pass inspections at many of these sites today. I can't jump.
Again, exactly the same here. We made our choice back when things were very different, and having looked long and hard at the options it seems to me that the only thing is to stick with it. Too much to lose as things are at least.
RCs have become pointless. If I carry on as I am this year I won't keep the level I have a present. I already had a level taken off me at the beginning of the RCs, after the promise for "grandfathering" and I was so, so, close to the next level at that time too. . .
I can only hope that yet again they will "grandfather" the levels.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:59 by Difydave »

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 12:01 »
+2
I would not be surprised to see them scrap the exclusivity program sooner or later - at least as it currently exists.

Everything they are doing seems to be about reducing complexity and building the business rules into the site. The exclusivity program ultimately increases complexity. And they could just as easy create different collections according to some algorithmic criteria.

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 12:38 »
+1
I would not be surprised to see them scrap the exclusivity program sooner or later - at least as it currently exists.

Everything they are doing seems to be about reducing complexity and building the business rules into the site. The exclusivity program ultimately increases complexity. And they could just as easy create different collections according to some algorithmic criteria.

I doubt they will discontinue exclusivity. That's the only thing they have that keeps those contributors from contributing to the competition.

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 15:09 »
Ok, this is another scenario, suppose one day, does SS down forever? I really wonder this question's answer. What do the independents will do then?

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 15:20 »
+6
If a major site goes down forever, the buyers do NOT also go away for ever. They just have to buy somewhere else. The independent needs to already be selling at the sites to where the buyers will move.