MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Shutterstock's Top 10 Cameras  (Read 14606 times)

dpimborough

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2015, 10:38 »
I still shoot and submit photos taken with an 8 year old camera and acceptance is around 95%.

It's not the number of mega pixels its the size of the photosites on the sensor that counts :)

Big photosites

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2015, 11:09 »
+3
The lens resolution vs sensor resolution issue is a bit complicated and it seems nowhere near true that in all circumstances the cameras are outresolving the lenses. Here's something from the Canon Rumours site three years ago:

"The highest resolution Canon sensor on the market today, their 18mp APS-C sensors, resolve 116 lp/mm (see quote above for reference and details about how this number is derived.) If we assume a perfect lens, at f/2.8 and 50% contrast, you can resolve about 247 lp/mm, which is slightly more than twice what Canon's highest resolution sensors are capable of resolving (for reference, you would need a 210mp FF or 81mp APS-C sensor to resolve that much detail.) Given that real-world lenses are aberration-limited at wide apertures like f/2.8, lets take a more realistic aperture. The Canon 7D 18mp APS-C sensor is diffraction-limited at f/6.9, so if we assume an f/7.1 aperture, we can resolve roughly around 95-100lp/mm. The sensor is now outresolving the lens at this aperture, and all apertures smaller than f/7.1. At f/8 the lens can only resolve 86 lp/mm, f/11 it drops down to 63 lp/mm, and at f/22 it is at a mediocre 30 lp/mm!! The same lens at f/6.3 would probably resolve just about 118 lp/mm, just ever so slightly better than what the sensor is capable of resolving itself."

So I wouldn't worry too much about that - but it's worth being aware that high f numbers (f/8 upwards) can automatically degrade your images.  The diffraction limit varies from camera to camera, Cambridge in Colour website has a calculator that can tell you where your camera is. I regularly get images accepted on SS that are past the diffraction limit (they're more likely to reject for a shot with a shallow DoF than one that is diffraction limited).

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2015, 11:21 »
I still shoot and submit photos taken with an 8 year old camera and acceptance is around 95%.

It's not the number of mega pixels its the size of the photosites on the sensor that counts :)

Big photosites

what you say and baldricks trousers following comments are interesting. i was wondering myself about the newest  dslr vs the older dslr too. many times when i eyeball the side by side shots of the identical shoot using 3 generations of dslrs all shooting at each sweet spot , i noticed the oldest camera being spot on in sharpness while the newest actually dropping in 3rd place .
i am not one for tech datas, but i can see with my own eyes at 100% mag the images of the oldest gen dslr actually out performs.
maybe it  is like the old nikon F vs the newest gen of film 35mm, it is the same case too
which is why we all stay with the oldest nik , canon, etc.
like hot rods buffs claim too the same thing, as with guitars from the PAF humbuckers Les Paul .
all that talk of being dinosaurs not evolving is really only for the guys who must have always the latest with bells and whistles but not the working photographer, hot rodder, guitarist,etc..