pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Google favoring mobile-friendly websites!  (Read 28520 times)

« on: April 21, 2015, 15:57 »
+1
Google is making a major update to its mobile search algorithm that will change the order in which websites are ranked when users search for something from their phone.
Small businesses are generally seen at greater risk!

http://uk.businessinsider.com/how-business-owners-feel-about-google-mobilegeddon-2015-4?r=US#ixzz3XymmDDZY
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 16:57 by KnowYourOnions »

Semmick Photo

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 16:01 »
+1
Symbiostock is responsive, so YAY !

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 16:13 »
I guess Top Tier does have mob version of their sites.
Mid and Low Earners, I have no idea.
It will be interesting to see the effect on sales from this change.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 16:14 »
+4
I hope most photo buyers aren't searching for images from their phones though...

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 16:24 »
+1
Here goes the test page...just type the website name.  8)

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/

- SS, VideoBlocks, iStock, Dreamstime, DepositPhotos, 500pix, Alamy are friendly

- Fotolia, 123RF, Pond5, BigStockPhoto are NOT
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 14:16 by KnowYourOnions »

Semmick Photo

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 16:38 »
Awesome

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 16:46 »
+7
I hope most photo buyers aren't searching for images from their phones though...

Agreed. I find it ridiculous that the industry is basing everything on a screen about 3x5.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 16:52 »
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 17:09 by KnowYourOnions »

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 17:47 »
+1
Times are changing...pay attention to the apps in this infographs.

http://www.smartinsights.com/mobile-marketing/mobile-marketing-analytics/mobile-marketing-statistics/

and this one

https://www.textmagic.com/blog/mobile-user-stats-every-successful-marketer-should-know/

:-)

It looks like lots of people look at Facebook, weather, news, video, and play games on mobile and even buy from i-tunes. I still doubt that microstock sales on mobile are a very big proportion. maybe someday when phones get to the size of a laptop screen, but none of those infographics convince me of that yet. I suppose the sites could tell us the real answer, but somehow I doubt they will. The fact that some of the sites have made their sites mobile friendly mean that they think it is important though (or else they bought the hype or think it is necessary to sell themselves as a technology company).

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 18:08 »
+1
Times are changing...pay attention to the apps in this infographs.

http://www.smartinsights.com/mobile-marketing/mobile-marketing-analytics/mobile-marketing-statistics/

and this one

https://www.textmagic.com/blog/mobile-user-stats-every-successful-marketer-should-know/

:-)

It looks like lots of people look at Facebook, weather, news, video, and play games on mobile and even buy from i-tunes. I still doubt that microstock sales on mobile are a very big proportion. maybe someday when phones get to the size of a laptop screen, but none of those infographics convince me of that yet. I suppose the sites could tell us the real answer, but somehow I doubt they will. The fact that some of the sites have made their sites mobile friendly mean that they think it is important though (or else they bought the hype or think it is necessary to sell themselves as a technology company).

I know...it would be super nice if sites would share stats on it.

StockPhotosArt.com

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 01:16 »
+1
(...) I still doubt that microstock sales on mobile are a very big proportion.

The final sale may not be made on a mobile device, but it may happen that a lot of the research is made on it, resulting in the addition of possible candidates to lightboxes later reviewed and licensed on a desktop.

And this can be made even on the way to work or home if someone is using public transports, for example.

So, that may be the relevance of mobile devices in terms of microstock.

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 02:49 »
i say it's ridicolous because it should be mobile browsers adapting to actual web pages designed for desktop and NOT viceversa !

pads and mobile phones are still a joke for browsing and pretty much anything apart games and a few other touch-centric apps .. good luck doing anything serous and productive on a phone, let alone reading a whole PDF book, and even making calls is cumbersome compared to a real telephone.

as if this wasn't enough Android is such a piece of sh-it now we need firewalls, ad-blockers and antivirus on our phones, we've come to this !

Semmick Photo

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 03:24 »
+2
You are categorically against anything new and/or established  ;)

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 03:32 »
+2
While still puzzled why would anyone put disagree on SemmickPhoto web site being friendly post....
here are the stats on mobile expansion (attached)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:07 by KnowYourOnions »

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 12:29 »
+2
You are categorically against anything new and/or established  ;)

yes, i was totally against smartphones and tablets from the start and i've yet to see a single reason to change idea on this subject, it's a textbook case of how marketing can exploit the dumbing down of mobile users.

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 12:31 »
While still puzzled why would anyone put disagree on SemmickPhoto web site being friendly post....
here are the stats on mobile expansion (attached)

80% of the mobile users own a smartphone because nowadays there's nothing else even in the 80-100$ range ... i'm jumping boat too as i'll buy a cheap Nokia so i can develop some sh-it on the Win8/10 platform and it's just 100$ here or 200$ for a larger screen.

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 13:20 »
+1
mobile users have always been the marketing target because they are the ones who spend the most money needlessly and unknowingly. much in the same target group of bank telling machine users are do not even notice they are charged service fees if they do not use a cash dispenser that is not their own bank.
either that these users have parents paying their mobs and bank card or that most are just too dumb to manage their money, having been weaned on drinking coffee at starbucks etc
as one mother said to me, "my children would never drink at a mom and pops coffee shop, they would be too ashamed to been seen drinking anywhere else other than starbucks,etc"
they are not ashamed of being fools with their money being parted, only ashamed of not being identified in the crowd ie crowd of mob iphone notebook tin cans headphone users.
google favoring them is pretty obvious because they are the least money aware.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 13:23 by etudiante_rapide »

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 15:53 »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 15:57 by KnowYourOnions »

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 16:33 »
+3
i say it's ridicolous because it should be mobile browsers adapting to actual web pages designed for desktop and NOT viceversa !

pads and mobile phones are still a joke for browsing and pretty much anything apart games and a few other touch-centric apps .. good luck doing anything serous and productive on a phone, let alone reading a whole PDF book, and even making calls is cumbersome compared to a real telephone.

as if this wasn't enough Android is such a piece of sh-it now we need firewalls, ad-blockers and antivirus on our phones, we've come to this !

I agree. I read my email on my phone while I am out and about, only because I am out and about. If it can wait until I get back to my keyboard where I can type, I do. If I want to reply so the client knows I am paying attention, I text a short response. While I am waiting in line, I play solitaire or surf FB. I will never build a website or a 4 page brochure on my phone. In fact, I can't really even see doing it on my iPad. It just isn't efficient. I love them both, and I use them both constantly, but not for serious work.

But I do understand the statistics and I agree, largely based on the zillions of teens and hipsters who think life only exists on their mobile devices.  :)

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 01:29 »
+5
they are not ashamed of being fools with their money being parted, only ashamed of not being identified in the crowd ie crowd of mob iphone notebook tin cans headphone users.
google favoring them is pretty obvious because they are the least money aware.

exactly, that's the living example of the herd menthality which is dominant especially among the youth and women in general.

people are shocked when they hear i'm still not on WhatsApp or Line or Tango or Twitter or whatever ... and i barely use FB if that matters.

i remember years ago parents worrying about giving mobile phones to their kids, now it's all gone, parents are actually encouraged to give phones to their kids as young as 4-5 yrs old with the excuse of "security" but we all know this is BS, it's because every kid now has a phone and they're scared to make their kid stand out of the crowd ... next we will be microchipped at birth and nobody will complain.

and by the way, how ridicolous are all these guys walking in the street with huge BEATS headphones on their neck ??? is it me being too old or what ?

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 01:34 »
+1
It just isn't efficient.

YES and that's THE point !
As a concept, technology exists first and foremost to make our life easier or at least more productive.

Smartphones instead are making everything more slow and more cumbersome, their only reason to exist is for portability and mobility, to be able to connect in the middle of nowhere, but it's a one-trick pony.

Moreover, the use and abuse of mobile messaging is damaged society as a whole, if we look at the young people they're now totally addicted and dependent on their phones for social interaction and this is a big downgrade compared to the pre-internet era when it was usual to meet face to face, but nobody will notice as the kids now are glued to their phones already when they're in primary school, they see face to face as something of the past century and it's gonna have terrible ripercussions in their life in my opinion.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 02:07 »
+2
You guys need to step into the 21st century. Really. You can't keep hanging on to the past. If you ignore mobile technology you only will hurt yourself in the end.

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 07:37 »
+2
You guys need to step into the 21st century. Really. You can't keep hanging on to the past. If you ignore mobile technology you only will hurt yourself in the end.

I am not ignoring it at all. I use it where it makes the most sense, and what it is designed and intended for. A phone is a phone and will never replace a computer and keyboard. Sure, I can do some other things in a pinch. I just don't think life should center around a phone, at the expense of all other, more efficient devices.

I can watch a movie on my phone, but it makes more sense to watch it on my ipad. And if I really want to get the most out of it, I need to watch it on a 60" TV screen with surround sound. CAN I use my phone for everything, sure. SHOULD I use my phone for everything? No.  :)

Tror

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 09:02 »
+2

exactly, that's the living example of the herd menthality which is dominant especially among the youth and women in general.

I fully agree. People have to learn to think for themselves. Get their own opinion. It is NOT cool to wear clothes of famous brands (made by kids in Bandladesh). It is NOT cool to listen to the same meaningless synthetic music as everybody else. It is NOT cool to hide a non-existing identity behind an iphone and a fancy downtown address. It is NOT cool to do something just because everybody else is doing it. And neither it is cool to be ALWAYS POSITIVE even when encountering BS, unfairness, injustice etc.....

No Free Lunch

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 09:15 »
+3
 got a developer alert on that last week. small businesses are okay if they design their websites with something called "responsive design"