pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Google favoring mobile-friendly websites!  (Read 28578 times)

Semmick Photo

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2015, 04:57 »
+1
The world moves on whether any of us likes it or not.  Fine if you don't embrace new tech, but in a tech business, which we are in, you better hope your agents/distributors are optimized for new technology.

ok course we must accept this new technology but you will agree with me that as a technology it's a big downgrade compared to using a laptop or a netbook, that's the point,
How is a mobile technology a downgrade from a non mobile product? Its adding extra uses and convenience to an already existing product. I never saw people walking around with a laptop and sending a fax. It made computers conveniently portable.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2015, 04:59 »
+3
Hobostocker, I like you, I love your direct way of putting things, I really do, but you never came across as a positive character  ;)

but don't blame me, i'll be very very positive if we talk about Ultrabooks or Win 10.
my problem with smartphone is its undeniable negative social impact on society as a whole, they were originally designed for useful things actually, like email and business apps, not for random chatting etc.
Mobile phones always had the possbiltly to send texts, now we use Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. I see no issue with that. It made my life easier. I am talking to a lot more people, from a lot farther away, at no extra cost. And I can send them a photo of me smiling. Friends and family love it.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2015, 17:36 »
+2
[tangential] A curse on Google. I don't buy from my phone, my desktop is far more convenient and easy.
But now I'm trying to source particular plants to buy, and even if I put 'UK' 'species', I'm getting nurseries in the US, Canada and Australia before I'm getting UK nurseries. How is that remotely sensible?
Previously, I'd get almost all UK sources on at least the first page of returns.
NB I can only use Google.co.uk, which makes it even more stupid. I don't even know how to hack into Google.com.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 16:48 by ShadySue »

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2015, 00:40 »
How is a mobile technology a downgrade from a non mobile product? Its adding extra uses and convenience to an already existing product. I never saw people walking around with a laptop and sending a fax. It made computers conveniently portable.

Mobile is a downgrade compared to a laptop in ANY way, hardware and software, especially for business users who need to run their custom corporate apps and need to write and interact a lot on Excel or Outlook, good luck doing it on an iPhone or a tablet !

People sending fax with a laptop ? a LOT .. especially years ago and they were using a 33.6k modem in their hotel or the early GSM cards, slow as a dog but they had no other option and now it's the same but using 3G/4G or wi-fi.

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2015, 00:50 »
+1
Mobile phones always had the possbiltly to send texts, now we use Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. I see no issue with that. It made my life easier. I am talking to a lot more people, from a lot farther away, at no extra cost. And I can send them a photo of me smiling. Friends and family love it.

sure it's OK for random users but for power users it's quite another story.
browsing, writing, reading, everything is so limited on a small touch screen, i just can't work on that and i was on a desktop i would need 2 or 3 monitors, go figure.

friends and family love it for the portability and the "always-on" factor, i understand, but good luck doing anything productive like using Excel or browsing with 30-40 web pages open, i tried and tried, and went crazy, even on tablets it's so bad.

PDA were a bad idea already when Apple launched the Darwin and i if you think i'm a "luddist" i had even one of the early Palm Pilots, quickly sold to a colleague of mine and never looked back.

let's face it, mobiles are more a fashion item than a productive tool nowadays.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2015, 07:43 »
Seems like possibly FAA has fallen prey to the Google changes. It used to be that FAA dominated a lot of searches, and I could usually find my images on the top line, certainly the top two. Now both iS and my own ancient, moribund, totally tables-based site from the beginning of the century show images highly and the pics on FAA are nowhere to be seen, even after considerable scrolling.
IMHO, it's far more likely that someone looking to buy art will start from Google, than someone wanting to legitimately purchase stock images.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 07:52 by ShadySue »

Semmick Photo

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2015, 03:27 »
Hobo I am talking about the consumers not the creators / sellers. You seem to keep missing my point. But it's OK. I  as agree mobile devices are chit for our work flow. I am purely looking from a customer perspective. That's what this thread ua about.