pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: 500px issue  (Read 5562 times)

« on: April 23, 2015, 07:06 »
+4
I would like to share the following info on 500px.

To taste the water I submitted a few dozen images to 500px.
I had assumed a decent level of security so I took no precautions.
I uploaded 3000 pixels (bigger side) since that was the minimum requirement to sell.
I had not yet realized that you could upload low res and then upload hi res in the market.
The preview image was about 700/1000 pixels (bigger side) when seen on my screen, so it looked ok.

I then stumbled using Google image search on 500px pictures which were MUCH bigger.
Since I doubt that Google will resort to shady behaviour, this looked like something wrong in their site.

If you right click on the image it tells you that the image is copyrighted and do not allow you to download.
But we all now that is a fake protection.

I started looking at the source code of the page displaying my images. The link to the image was in plain sight. No attempt to obfuscate the url with some fancy javascript footwork as many do.
Not a big problem since you assume that the link is to a low res picture.
Alas, this is not so.
In my case the 3000x2000 picture has ,yes, been downsized but to 2048x1370.
This is WAY to big for showcase purpose. Is is bigger than a full HD screen (1920x1080).

I really wonder why the feed a 2.8Mpx asset to the browser.
This rise some questions.
1- are they grossly incompetent ?
2- are they aware but have their reasons (which I would like to know) ?

The only reason I see is that they did it for 4K monitors.
If this is the case they should have some code to feed the browser according to screen resolution and not scatter 2.8Mpx media everywhere.

Hope this helps.

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 07:49 »
+2
That's why I uploaded 800 or 900px small image with my own handly added watermark (and large, clear to the shop). But it still pump up my image which makes horrible quality. 500px is happy when your work is shared in whole internet. They say small size is bad thing and it's better to share large one. They promised to save our work better but still waiting. They could gain more (PRO) artist but don't want to...
I had sales here, but it still doesn't encourage me to upload my work to agency that treat artist with no respect and doesn't want to protect our work. I like spreading word where people can find my photos but ... do it with respect. Link back just doesn't make the deal enough.
Spreading a word is not the same as spreading (sharing) my large size images and without watermark protection. Two different things that some POD (like Society6) and not POD (like 500px) sites don't want to understand.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:54 by Ariene »

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 10:23 »
+6
Hi Plank. Thanks for your post. Definitely a topic were aware of. The best option to protect your images online (500px and elsewhere) is to use low res images. As you know, even with all the security in the world, a simple screenshot could be used to pirate photos. We do have more improvements coming (watermarks, etc.) but the low-res upload option will always be your best bet.

Were always open to requests and suggestions from our members; our product team reads these posts, and we're always considering ways in which we can improve for our users. Thanks!

When you acknowledge that showing high-res watermarked images is not a good idea, then why don't you simply downsize the uploaded images for the community instead of asking us to upload two different versions? It would be so easy (plus still add a watermark on those)...

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 12:39 »
+2
Thanks for your suggestion. Many of our users prefer to share higher-res images, so we provide the low-res option for those who don't. Duly noted about the watermarking :)

1- I do believe that some people like hi res  images; however others don't.
The instructions and FAQ are obscure to say the least on this matter

2- I noticed also, and forgot to mention it in the initial post, that the copyright notice embedded in the metadata
has been stripped out!
I understand that you may want to delete phone numbers and contact data, but deleting copyright notice is certainly
NOT acceptable.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 13:49 »
+6
Hi dirkr,

Thanks for your suggestion. Many of our users prefer to share higher-res images, so we provide the low-res option for those who don't. Duly noted about the watermarking :)

Sorry, but what low-res option are you talking about? Do you mean the option where we should upload two different versions of the same photo, one for the community and one for licensing?

That's not really an option, it's rather a pain...

Or is there somewhere an option where I can choose that only a low-res version will be used for the community? Where do I find that?

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 14:02 »
+2
It's a mystery to me how many top photographs are uploaded to 500px without any watermark at all. I don't understand the intention behind that from the photographers.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 14:37 »
It's a mystery to me how many top photographs are uploaded to 500px without any watermark at all. I don't understand the intention behind that from the photographers.

They are there for the glory.
Many are thrilled just to be seen and liked.
I may add that in a very fine composition a watermark will spoil it, unless you are Drer.

They are not there for the money, contrary to us, venal laborers  :)

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 14:44 »
+1
To the 500px people

concerning metadata I made a mistake, and beg your pardon.

The backstage is the following:

Went to the Fine Art section; clicked on Trending Profiles; choose one of the authors;
and choose a photo which I downloaded. (I am not posting the actual example since
I think I have not the right to do so without author permission).

Then opened the photo in phostoshop and looked for File info: all blank!

So, I wrongly concluded that the metadata has been stripped out.
I thought so because it never occurred to me that someone will post a photo
without a copyright notice in the metadata.
In fact without ANY metadata at all, which is odd.

However, it seems that this guy did just so.
Maybe is the only one in the whole site.
---

Looking to other photos, they DO have ALL the metadata.
Not only copyright notice but description , keywords, etc.

Sorry for the wrong assumption.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 09:35 »
+8
  Not interested in uploading there until they resolve the Watermark issue. They don't seem to put a priority in preventing theft. Even the the lowest microstock agencies get this right, from the day they start.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 09:52 by rimglow »

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 17:13 »
+1
  Not interested in uploading there until they resolve the Watermark issue. They don't seem to put a priority in preventing theft. Even the the lowest microstock agencies get this right, from the day they start.

Same here. That and their upload capabilities.

No Free Lunch

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 18:23 »
+5
No Watermark = No Upload   >:(

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 03:04 »
+1

I wonder how many posts and threads about this we already did and how many more we will before that change...  ::) Amazing, how hard it is to be done by so great and professional agency/ seller, trully amazing. So far it looks like they don't want more our work.

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 08:00 »
+2

I wonder how many posts and threads about this we already did and how many more we will before that change...  ::) Amazing, how hard it is to be done by so great and professional agency/ seller, trully amazing. So far it looks like they don't want more our work.

It's because they don't WANT to have watermarks. While they have acknowledged this issue, they haven't done anything about it. This says a lot.

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 13:38 »
I don't understand the commotion about watermarks at a site like 500px to be honest. It's a portfolio presentation site first and foremost, and as such leaves the choice of watermark to it's users. I for example put my own custom watermark into my images. For the market I then upload a larger, unwatermarked copy. Where's the problem?

Sure, if you want to dump a 5000 image portfolio, the process will be painful. Still less so than uploading to, say, Alamy or iStock, but still painful. But large stock portfolios is really not what 500px is about.

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 13:44 »
@MarcvsTvllivs
Does 500px sell licenses? YES.

May I use Alamy as my gallery/ portfolio? YES.

May I choose if I want or not to protect my work with watermark on 500px like I do on other sites? NO. Why?

Where is the problem? Right there ^

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 01:24 »
+2
Why not give us the option to add watermark and small size upon upload? It would make using 500pix for licensing so much easier.

Or add it als a preference Option somewhere.

The current multistep upload process is just painful and so for now I have given up.

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 08:01 »
+1
Why not give us the option to add watermark and small size upon upload? It would make using 500pix for licensing so much easier.

Or add it als a preference Option somewhere.

The current multistep upload process is just painful and so for now I have given up.

You do have the option to add a watermark to your own images, yourself, with your own computer. A check box on their site during keyboarding etc to add a watermark would be nice.