pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Legacy Symbiostock updates  (Read 23455 times)

Leo

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 23:50 »
To reitterate - Illustrators of Symbiostock ( legacy version ) should be directed to this page: http://community.grfx.co/symbiostock-to-grfx-converter-ready/

The update in Wordpress is a notice to let everyone know that the current version is no longer supported. In the world of open source and wordpress this is perfectly common and actually needed, that way the people who are ignorant of developments don't end up with useless themes after the tumbleweeds have gone by. So users of Symbiostock legacy sites will no doubt be thankful to be notified.

Also regarding "marketing purposes" it was agreed that with the branching of Symbiostock I was perfectly able and it was acceptable to let illustrators know that I had created a branch of the software in their favor. This was agreed on extensively before hand. It was fundamental to the branching. This should not have been a surprise.

Please excuse this small panic as coming into this Robin did not previously have a Symbiostock site, did not have much to do with open source, and was not very familiar with wordpress so as to understand a basic "no longer supported, please transfer" notice that comes up occassionally in the Wordpress admin. Don't worry, the "previous developer" has not gone Rogue :D. I'm here to answer questions.

There is nothing of interest in the change other than to the notice that you can see in your admin areas. Your sites should operate just fine.

As of now all legacy sites are orphaned from development. It has been made clear that I am no longer needed for any troubleshooting or problem solving. If you have any issues with your legacy sites I suggest you direct them to Robin. Otherwise I am aiding illustrators in the conversion process.

Illustrators should know that this current version was the long-anticipated Symbiostock upgrade, but it was branched into grfx after a difference of direction and operation between Robin and I.

At this point there is nothing I can do because he is not giving me access to the update system, which is password protected on third party servers.

By this he is referring to the updates channel I use for my plugins, some Symbiostock, some others. I've always used it for updates for all of my plugins. There is nothing changed here either.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 00:24 by Leo »

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 00:44 »
+12
 >:( >:( >:(
what the...GUYS!!!!
I have an original symbio site that works great for me. No way am I going to upgrade to some unknown new version. You don't fix what ain't broken. And now there is no support if it does break? Robin do you even have a old symbio site? Any sales? If so can I see it please because right now I feel like I am the only one with something to lose. At least Leo had a site I could see but he won't/can't? (I don't really understand this) be able to help me anymore unless I am an illustrator?
You guys need to get your acts together because I'm trying to make money here and you two are busy bickering over stupid things.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 00:57 »
+10
What a mess.

Leo

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 00:59 »
Hi Shelma. There is no mess here other than a little indiscretion of the OP. Shelma you are welcome to contact me personally if you wish to explore the new version.

>:( >:( >:(
what the...GUYS!!!!
I have an original symbio site that works great for me. No way am I going to upgrade to some unknown new version. You don't fix what ain't broken.

Thank you for the complement! Actually you upgrade what ain't broken to make it better!  ;D

Back in the day VAT tax got in our way, among a plethora of international-cart concerns. It was a known fact that I would develop a new version. It took me a year!

I'm simply not hosting photographers.

Would you like me to convert the legacy versions into some other name? There's always a way.

We can consider this thread as the official cross-roads for those of your situation. I see only good opportunities, even for the legacy version purists! Even a simple name change and a monitoring of wordpress changes might be a simple enough solution.

For the record, I asked him not to post in a forum. I asked him if he might want the text changed in some way that we could agree on, or to email me on the concerns. I didn't make the thread!

BTW - you in no more danger than you have been in the last year of perfect stability.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 01:14 »
+9
Leo i appreciate what you did. i really do but you are missing the point. I'm sitting here with a site that currently can go nowhere even if i wanted to convert because there is no converter for me that is ready. Even worse its being built by someone who as far as i know has no history with symbiostock at all. I might feel better when i actually see something real from the new symbiostock but right now i'm pretty #%$#@& about being left in the lurch.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 02:11 »
+3
 :o
I guess I need to keep my fingers crossed that my legacy Symbio site doesn't fall apart before Robin can actually show something that works. Following various threads here and over on Symbiostock.org I am beginning to loose confidence that it will happen eventually :(

Semmick Photo

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 02:16 »
+6
I want my 105$ dollar back, you can keep the 25$ I donated  :o

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 04:31 »
+15
I'd really like to start selling direct and as a consequence I've seriously considered having a Symbiostock website.  However, I've watched the Symbiostock shenanigans as an outsider all these months and, to be perfectly honest, the whole thing looks like a bit of a shambles. I may be wrong, but it appears that the developers are a brittle, bickering bunch who change direction at the drop of a hat and leave their user base high and dry at a moments notice.

Given this history, you'd really struggle to get me to sign up to Symbiostock. Stability and consistency are basic requirements from any potential business partner and I really don't see much evidence of that with Symbiostock. I'm afraid any enthusiasm or confidence I had in Symbiostock has pretty much evaporated.

Forgive me if I have misinterpreted what I've read here and elsewhere - and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 06:46 »
+2
Enlightens me who's now actually symbiostock developer?

Leo or Robin or both together?

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 07:33 »
+6
Leo i appreciate what you did. i really do but you are missing the point. I'm sitting here with a site that currently can go nowhere even if i wanted to convert because there is no converter for me that is ready. Even worse its being built by someone who as far as i know has no history with symbiostock at all. I might feel better when i actually see something real from the new symbiostock but right now i'm pretty #%$#@& about being left in the lurch.

Exactly how I feel.  Sorry Leo, but for months you were dropping hints about the new, improved, fantastic, VAT enabled Symbiostock coming soon.  Then out of the blue the photographers are kicked to the curb when you announce that this new version is for illustrators only and legacy users are once again wondering what our future holds.

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 07:38 »
+1
I don't really understand how it came about but obviously the two of them could not agree on the future of symbiostock. The way I understand it is this. Leo gets the software he had been developing to upgrade the original theme for the last year or so and Robin gets the name. Both entities can build off of legacy programming but Leo is contractually obligated not to offer future services to photographers. So this is what I would recommend. If you are legacy site owner and it breaks or you are having problems I think Leo is more than happy to help. If you are an illustrator looking to move forward GRFX is your branch. If you are a photographer looking to move forward then Robin will probably be who you need to deal with.

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 07:54 »
+3
I don't really understand how it came about but obviously the two of them could not agree on the future of symbiostock. The way I understand it is this. Leo gets the software he had been developing to upgrade the original theme for the last year or so and Robin gets the name. Both entities can build off of legacy programming but Leo is contractually obligated not to offer future services to photographers. So this is what I would recommend. If you are legacy site owner and it breaks or you are having problems I think Leo is more than happy to help. If you are an illustrator looking to move forward GRFX is your branch. If you are a photographer looking to move forward then Robin will probably be who you need to deal with.

Both can not act together to bring a good big deal (Symbiostock) forward?
Soon the developers symbiostock have developed quite to death.

a real shame...

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 08:00 »
+1
I can't comment on that because I dont know what caused the dissolution. Obviously Leo wanted out bad enough that he was willing to give up 3 years worth of branding and relationships.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 08:07 »
+2

Unfortunately, while Leo said he was here to answer questions he went to trash Robin's knowledge and skills then told us if we had problems with our legacy sites we should go to Robin for troubleshooting.

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 08:14 »
Well forum skills have never really been his strong suit have they? At least he is consistent in that regard. I freaked out last night when I read this too. I still have three legacy sites that work for me. Leo has assured me that he is willing to help legacy owners if they need it.

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 14:24 »
+8
Well, one thing is for certain. I may not approve of Leo's actions, but I do know him after working with SymbioStock. Robin, I know nothing about you, so you will understand I am not rushing forward into your flock. If anything, I am doing nothing right now.

Perhaps the two of you can remember WHY SymbioStock came into being. We, the sites holding the hot potato, might have to remind you after all ....

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 18:37 »
+9
There are lots of people who sell both illustrations and photographs (and video, and other media formats). This artificial bifurcation of the self hosted artist site based on two of the many media might make sense to the two who agreed to it, but it's just crazy.

As it stands right now I can't "go forward" with either path - not with Leo because I have things that aren't illustrations I want to sell and not with "Robin" because I have no idea who he or she is, what he or she can do (in micrsotock or as a developer). The fact that Leo and "Robin" are at odds does not inspire confidence.

I may take the time to remove the old Symbiostock logo from my site's front page, but other than that, I think I'm going to let some dust settle before doing anything. For the moment my site is functional.

What Leo and "Robin" should take to heart is that squabbling with each other is hurting both of your projects.

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 18:53 »
+5
There are lots of people who sell both illustrations and photographs (and video, and other media formats). This artificial bifurcation of the self hosted artist site based on two of the many media might make sense to the two who agreed to it, but it's just crazy.

As it stands right now I can't "go forward" with either path - not with Leo because I have things that aren't illustrations I want to sell and not with "Robin" because I have no idea who he or she is, what he or she can do (in micrsotock or as a developer). The fact that Leo and "Robin" are at odds does not inspire confidence.

I may take the time to remove the old Symbiostock logo from my site's front page, but other than that, I think I'm going to let some dust settle before doing anything. For the moment my site is functional.

What Leo and "Robin" should take to heart is that squabbling with each other is hurting both of your projects.
I am with Jo-ann on this, I have both photos and illustrations ... now I dont know what to do ...

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 19:24 »
It sounds like both converters work for both media. Leos is done and is working. As far as I can tell Robin's is in beta. Leo's version is not allowed to create a universal search for photos. I was under the impression that Robin's was not supposed to support illustrators but from what I'm reading elsewhere that impression is not apparently an exactly accurate interpretation of the final contract. So in short although Leo was supposed to get the illustrators and Robin was supposed to get the photographers I believe people who choose the new symbiostock will be able to send both media types. Grfx will only take illustrations in its eventual universal search.

So the real question is what you really want for the future. If you want to go it alone either converter will most likely work for you. If you want a universal search you will want to weigh and consider which approach will best serve your images.

This information is what I have collected personally by reading all three forums and few conversations with Leo. I have not spoken to Robin regarding any of this so please be aware that while I am trying to enlighten the situation my information might not be entirely accurate. If anything I am saying is incorrect please feel free to correct me and I will edit this post.

Edited to remove what I have decided was a biased and poorly chosen set of words.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 19:51 by chromaco »

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 19:45 »
+1
Why am I now being forced to do a math captcha to log in to my own Symbiostock site?

You guys are out of control. Why can't you just leave the "legacy" site alone?

Expletive deleted.

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 19:57 »
I just checked all three of my sites. None of them required a captcha to login.

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 19:59 »
+5
I am so tired of the hints and the guesses and the games.  It's like a bad divorce. You get the house, I get the car and nobody wins. 

The unspoken implication seems to be that nothing would stop anyone from uploading photos to Leo's version but photographers would not be part of the universal search and there is no built in function for model releases.

Robin has said that his version will support a variety of file types including jpg, tiff, ping and a few more but no word on any kind of universal search.

And pity the poor artist who works in multiple media.  I guess they are forced to split their portfolio or look elsewhere for a solution. 

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 20:02 »
I just checked all three of my sites. None of them required a captcha to login.

So? Mine does.

Telling me yours doesn't makes it seem like you think I'm lying about it for some reason.

I've had it with Symbiostock at this point.

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 20:08 »
Mine has the math question on the log-in page too.  I'm wondering if that is something new with recent WP upgrades rather than a Symbiostock "feature."

I haven't updated my Symbio sites for a few versions now.

ETA, I checked my test site and it's not showing up there.  I recently updated some plugins.  Now I'm wondering if it's related to one of those, perhaps Jetpack or Askimet or one of the others that track activity.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 20:14 by klsbear »