pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Model Release for Public Places  (Read 2331 times)

« on: April 26, 2015, 11:58 »
Hi I'm just starting in Stock photography and had a photo turned down by Canstock of a harbour scene. Did this get rejected because the boats are private property?

How does it work if I take a picture of a village in the Cotswolds which is a public place but might have buildings in it - do I have to get a release for those too?

Thanks for the help.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:19 »
There could be lots of reasons for the rejection, which will be for a property release rather than a model release. Each site has its own guidelines, some of which are stricter than the law in the country concerned. Basically, it's their ball. If you post the images, someone might be able to guide you.
For example, some sites might accept the harbour image, but you'd have to take off all names/numbers etc from the boats.
Otherwise, some files might be better suited to editorial use only.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 12:48 »
Harbour in the Cotswolds? :)

Seriously some (most?) harbours are private property. Doesn't matter if you can just walk in there or not. There are enough shots of harbours on various stock sites though for me to think that it's not generally a problem.

I'd agree with Liz that it's probably numbers or names on boats or businesses etc.

Villages in the Cotswolds, or anywhere else for that matter, should be fine as long as the main subject isn't one private house.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 06:29 »
Thank you for the pointers. I'm trying to upload one of the pics for you to have a look at but my pc isn't having any of it this morning but I'll keep trying.

I had the images accepted by Dreamstime for their editorial but Canstock don't do editorial - it may, as you say, be a matter of editing out any boat names etc.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:41 »
Trying again with the image

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 11:23 »
I think the files must be too big to upload on here as I'm not having any luck posting the pics. Canstock seem to be a funny 1 - they're asking for property releases on some pics of Bruges I took - there are similar images on their site already - all have loads of buildings in them. I'm wondering how other photographers got property releases for all the buildings in shot as well as for the iconic belfry etc....surely they didn't?? These rules are very confusing for first timers...

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 13:02 »
many sites changed their rules on what's acceptable, but grandfathered in images already in their collection

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 13:15 »
I don't know about Canstock rules. Someone may come along who does. Generally though for non editorial stock, things like business names, logos and identifying numbers need to be removed. Certain buildings may be seen as as problem if they feature too much as the subject of a shot. As may obviously identifiable people/