MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: What forum thread will you miss?  (Read 4068 times)

« on: April 26, 2015, 16:23 »
Sounds like the existing public forums are going to disappear into the ether with a new (to be announced but obviously much better  ;) ) structure to be set up. While the forums aren't what they used to be, I still go there from time-to-time and either contribute or lurk. If it hadn't been for the forums, I would likely never have heard of DeepMeta which revolutionized uploading compared to using iStock's upload process.

This got me wondering, which forums will you miss the most? Do you still lurk even if you don't contribute?

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 16:38 »
+3
I terminated my account and don't lurk anymore. I can't see how changing the structure to a forum is going to make it better or worse. It depends on what people on there want to contribute. If you want to say something about a technical matter and there is no specific area for this, you'll find the next best thing. The biggest change they could have made would have been to silence their henchman.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 16:50 »
+8
I've barely visited iStock's forums since I started there. I always found Lobo et al to be obnoxious and condescending, and avoided posting there much.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 17:23 »
+8
Can't imagine I'll miss reading any of the forums as much as I miss getting regular sales.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 17:43 »
+1
I used to check a few of the forums, when there was a reasonable exchange of information going on - now they are mainly moribund.
I still check the discussion forum, as that is about the only way to find out out about the state of ongoing cockups, er, developments... 
I long ago ceased to provide more than minimal feedback, as I hate listening to myself...
Also I still check one of the social forums because I know a lot of the people there, but this has just about been overtaken by facebook, and I expect it to die quite soon...   

I doubt I will miss the forums in their current state - iStock will still need to find a mechanism for bug reports, and information dissemination. 

I would like to add my voice to the chorus of not-missing that churlish, obnoxious waste-of-space, whose name you can guess (normally I would not be rude in a public forum about someone I have not met in person, but in my opinion he has forfeited the right to normal courtesy). 

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 17:45 »
+1
Are the forums really going away there? If so, another cloak of information/communicating blocking. I only go there if I am having a functional site issue. Now, I will have to send site mails and wait for a reply. What a mess over there.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 18:18 »
I sometimes check the Discussion forum if anything important has been announced, to stay updated. But since we have this forum, there's no real need to go to iStock's forum anyway.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 20:18 »
+4
I won't miss any particular forum for my day to day business, but I am sad about the history going away - as I was in a minor way when the school I went to (from age 4 to 18) was bulldozed and a neighborhood of McMansion houses built on the site.

For a while - in the distant past - I was very involved in the critique forum, request forum and most discussions about site and policy changes (back when contributor input had the possibility of influencing things). It's all ancient history, but it was nice knowing it was there if I cared to use Google search to find something.

The forums were laid waste - on purpose I think - and they've long since lost anything I found of interest.

As I am still technically a contributor, I assume I'll be able to look at the new forums, but if they're anything like the sterile Getty contributor forums it's essentially a bulletin board/announcement forum.

Batman

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 17:51 »
+1
I've barely visited iStock's forums since I started there. I always found Lobo et al to be obnoxious and condescending, and avoided posting there much.

There's a change at the IS forum, who cares. It's Lobotomy, Lobo for short. Any company that has a mouthpiece who's that rude and nasty, shouldn't have a forum. I gave up asking a question there because the responses were mostly not answers and mean. Then they lock the thread. Next person who looks and finds the same question, finds same no answer. It helps nobody.

Batman

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 18:42 »
+3
Are the forums really going away there? If so, another cloak of information/communicating blocking. I only go there if I am having a functional site issue. Now, I will have to send site mails and wait for a reply. What a mess over there.

Send last sitemail to scout in Februray, no reply. The forum is useless. IS is trying their best to turn success into failure.

dpimborough

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 00:58 »
Would I miss the forum no.

As the other posters mention Lobo is a vile piece of work in my view.  A sad drip of a man who gets his rocks off by being as pompous and arrogant as he can to make up up for some lack in his life.

As to the forum in terms of new starters seeking information well it was useful up to a point.

But in general the getty/istock forum has gone the way of the dodo.  It's a dead duck :D

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 01:36 »
+5
I used to really enjoy the forums in the earlier days but have barely looked at them for years.  The only time I go there now is if I follow a link from this site.  Istock was where it all started for me  and it's sad to see the way it has gone.

lucato

• [<o>] Brasil

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 05:50 »
+3
IMHO by deactivating the iStock forum is another proof that they don't want to waste time listening us. So, it means, "we do the way we want, if you like it ok, if you don't, the door to leave is open".

I'll miss the tips from other members and the DeepMeta forum. You're always absorbing some tip/learning.  Thanks we will have the microstockgroup to keep learning and sharing experiences Here is the top tier forum for the microstock world. :0)

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 07:06 »
+2
I long ago missed the days when people like Sean Locke and Jo Ann Snover were there helping out on the critique forums.  I missed that several years ago. But now they are here and while there's not so much of a critique-heavy tone here (sometimes there is) their knowledge is still shared much of the time and that's good enough for me.

In fact, where I can I try to help others mainly because I know what it's like to need advice and get advice that is helpful thanks to them and others. 

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 09:25 »
+1
The critique forum USED to be a great place for advice - nowadays, it is mostly stuff about copyright issues, since there appear to be no rejections for technical reasons.

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 02:56 »
+1
it's not just iStock forum going down, i'm seeing the same pattern for many other forums in general since the last 2-3 yrs, and also for blogs.

the reason is so many people now stick with mobile apps and FB in particular, with FB groups totally skipping the whole forum mumbo jumbo in favor or quick messages without too much BS going on.

in many ways i feel it's a huge downgrade but users seem to like it and there's nothing we can do.

in a couple minutes they can join dozens of different groups without having to sign up and pass captchas and being forced to waste time with all the usual forum rules and oddities, this is perfectly understandable as many forums definitely went overboard regarding rules and modding and banning.

for instance living abroad i can tell you that nowadays most of the expats write on FB and the expat forums are becoming a thing of the past, and many are also on Twitter and Instagram providing fresh infos in real time, while not too long ago they would have used their own blogs and cross posted on expat forums, now it's all gone and in forums when there's some big news going on you only find links to content posted on twitter etc ...  this is also the new trend for Real Estate ads run by expats and also for generic buy/sell stuff as it's so easy to post a photo with price and description.

in conclusion, forums are here to stay but their importance will no longer be the same as in the past but they will still be the place to go for us desktop users and for whatever discussion needing a long text and a large screen, to each his own and i see nothing wrong with that honestly, leave the guys writing one-liners and smilies move to mobile it won't be a big loss !