MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Oringer gets $28 million grant  (Read 19286 times)

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 15:24 »
+1
Quote: The stock award was designed "with the objectives of retaining and motivating him while providing a strong pay-for-performance element,"

Semmick Photo

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 15:24 »
+3
There's a lot of disturbing facts in that blog plus a few completely false statements

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 15:32 »

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 15:52 »
+6
so who's the math genius here...
what is $28 million divided by the number of ss contributors???
expect that to be added to each of our may's earning
as profit-sharing or just plain decent share-the-wealth
with those who really made you rich(er)

p.s. thx arenacreative for the moving ants idea, i like them better than just color and size

Semmick Photo

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 16:01 »
You should start typing in BrEezAh language too.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 17:35 »
+15
quote of the article:

The stock award was designed "with the objectives of retaining and motivating him while providing a strong pay-for-performance element"

Given the lack of pay raises commented now and again by contributors, it seems that contributors don't need to be retained or motivated.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 17:53 »
+11
hire some competant reviewers!

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 18:04 »
+8
quote of the article:

The stock award was designed "with the objectives of retaining and motivating him while providing a strong pay-for-performance element"

Given the lack of pay raises commented now and again by contributors, it seems that contributors don't need to be retained or motivated.

That was my first thought on reading that.

But after you have your first few million, I don't think loads more money would be motivating. I think that's when you can pursue other values.

shudderstok

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 18:08 »
+27
that is a pretty solid kick in the noids for all the SS slaves out there. this man exploits people and gets filthy rich doing so, but to further reward him for robbery is sick. does greed know no limits?

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 18:14 »
"Loss aversion" refers to people's tendency to strongly prefer avoiding losses to acquiring gains, like playing a game of Monopoly - as soon as you get in the lead you'll start to worry more about losing what you've gained!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/09/your-money/overcoming-an-aversion-to-loss.html?_r=0

Greed? It's an addiction... possibly with a certain complex too, imho.
Anyways, DISLIKE!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 19:08 by KnowYourOnions »

shudderstok

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 18:46 »
+4
NEWS FLASH

The oxymoron award of the year goes to this quote.

"with the objectives of retaining and motivating him while providing a strong pay-for-performance element"

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 19:28 »
+2
quote of the article:

But after you have your first few million, I don't think loads more money would be motivating. I think that's when you can pursue other values.

He pulled more than that out of the company before they went public. And more after that. Someone who cares about their company, its employees and suppliers does not need money to stay motivated.

He sold us out for money, plain and simple.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 19:34 »
+5
Jon is no Dan Price

What we can learn from the CEO who took a 93% pay cut to give his team a raise
http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/14/news/companies/ceo-pay-cuts-pay-increases/

"Ask yourself what is the right thing for you to do"

shudderstok

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 19:44 »
+1
quote of the article:

He pulled more than that out of the company before they went public. And more after that. Someone who cares about their company, its employees and suppliers does not need money to stay motivated.

He sold us out for money, plain and simple.

I don't think he sold anyone out for money - he is a business man and a smart one at that - he understands people's weakness. It was pretty clear from day one what his motivation was just by his royalty rates on offer. He has however certainly exploited people that is if you agreed to the terms and chose to submit. So in a roundabout way, who do you blame? He owes you nothing apart from what you agreed to. Or was there a "I get filthy rich from exploitation and share it with you" clause? I didn't think so.

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 23:40 »
+2

not gonna happen.
as i wrote last month they're actually hiring freelance reviewers working at home and paid a pittance, probably lower than grilling burgers at mcdonalds... talk about keeping standards and quality high ! :)

Hobostocker

This user is banned.
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 00:03 »
+9
unfortunately, Oringer is just a symptom, not THE problem.

He and SS are the final result of the whole boom/bust cycle of the post-internet stock industry, if it wasn't Oringer it would be the other 2-3 top agencies, nothing would change much, even Alamy slashed our fees, we're alone against all of the odds and totally at the mercy of greedy agencies that don't even treat us as respectable and loyal suppliers, we're all taken for granted, we'll never see our buyers face to face, we'll never set foot in a stock agency or shake their hands and have a chat together unless we pay ourself a trip to the biggest stock industry fairs and even so what do you expect ? the top sellers are maybe contributing for 0.1% of SS's archive, you won't be missed if you leave for greener pastures, just as nobody noticed Yuri's departure for Getty.

shudderstok

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 09:43 »
+1

not gonna happen.
as i wrote last month they're actually hiring freelance reviewers working at home and paid a pittance, probably lower than grilling burgers at mcdonalds... talk about keeping standards and quality high ! :)

pittance - i see a pattern forming. thankfully i am not supporting it. simply put, it's not sustainable.

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 10:10 »
It's really become a laughable situation.   

I'm sorry to admit this but I think the only reason I still read MSG is to laugh at the people who are still submitting photos and talking about the latest giveaway as "a good deal" that gives them "sales they wouldn't have gotten otherwise".  Please don't take this personally, guys.  Maybe for some people it still makes sense.

At this point I'm just waiting for SS to do something that reduces payouts even further - even by a tiny amount - and then I'll close my account and be done. 

shudderstok

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 10:18 »
+9

I'm sorry to admit this but I think the only reason I still read MSG is to laugh at the people who are still submitting photos and talking about the latest giveaway as "a good deal" that gives them "sales they wouldn't have gotten otherwise".  Please don't take this personally, guys.  Maybe for some people it still makes sense.

At this point I'm just waiting for SS to do something that reduces payouts even further - even by a tiny amount - and then I'll close my account and be done.

this post is laughable. you only come to MSG is to laugh at people for the latest giveaway but you still keep your account at SS as if you are not one of the people you laugh at. at least you can laugh at yourself.

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 10:40 »
+3

this post is laughable. you only come to MSG is to laugh at people for the latest giveaway but you still keep your account at SS as if you are not one of the people you laugh at. at least you can laugh at yourself.

I stopped contributing over a year ago.   Maybe I should just go ahead and close it now.  But I thought it would be more fun to wait for SS to make some "exciting announcement" of a reduction in payments, and then close my account in protest.   
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:49 by stockastic »

shudderstok

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 10:49 »
+3

I stopped contributing over a year ago.   Maybe I should just go ahead and close it now.  But I thought it would be more fun to wait for SS to make some "exciting announcement" of a reduction in payments, and then close my account in protest.   

i never opened an account in protest. 0.25c and peaking at 0.38c just doesn't sit right with me. selling 100 photos to make $25-$38 is laughable.

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2015, 11:35 »
+2
unfortunately, Oringer is just a symptom, not THE problem.

He and SS are the final result of the whole boom/bust cycle of the post-internet stock industry, if it wasn't Oringer it would be the other 2-3 top agencies, nothing would change much, even Alamy slashed our fees, we're alone against all of the odds and totally at the mercy of greedy agencies that don't even treat us as respectable and loyal suppliers, we're all taken for granted, we'll never see our buyers face to face, we'll never set foot in a stock agency or shake their hands and have a chat together unless we pay ourself a trip to the biggest stock industry fairs and even so what do you expect ? the top sellers are maybe contributing for 0.1% of SS's archive, you won't be missed if you leave for greener pastures, just as nobody noticed Yuri's departure for Getty.

+100
They are ALL the same!

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 12:18 »
+1
so who's the math genius here...
what is $28 million divided by the number of ss contributors???
expect that to be added to each of our may's earning
as profit-sharing or just plain decent share-the-wealth
with those who really made you rich(er)

p.s. thx arenacreative for the moving ants idea, i like them better than just color and size

$28,000,000  /  70,000+ active contributors  = $400 

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/IROL/25/251362/SSTK%20Investor%20Day%202015-2-26%20Webcast.pdf

LOL! Jon can keep his bonus, man... you guys are a bunch of whiners. 

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 13:00 »
+16
You can certainly award yourself a premium bonus each year when you have taken care of your business and that includes paying your suppliers sustainable royalty rates.

From the start Jon raised royalties each year and that helped contributors deal with business expenses, inflation etc. When the downturn hit contributors did not complain when Jon failed to raise rates, because we assumed his business had been hit hard by the downturn just like we had.

In reality he was making millions and while doing so he took additional profits our of our naive hides.  Until 2008 the majority of contributors did ask for raises each year and would have continued if they had know Jon was making millions more each year using assets we produced and funded.