pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Do you recommend Symbiostock?  (Read 23718 times)

« on: May 05, 2015, 03:54 »
Hi guys,
I read somewhere  that the project was abandoned? is it true?
 I'd love to hear your opinion about the pros, the cons.. anything that can help.
thank you

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 06:07 »
+14
Dont waste your time and enthusiasm.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:15 »
It is a wordpress theme/plugin and there are alternatives. I agree, a waste of time.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 06:18 »
+5
The SEO part of symbiostock is a big plus though

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 06:54 »
For some. For most photographers who are building a site to sell their own photos, no.

That was a big part of the selling point of SY, and after about 200 people signed on, only a few saw benefit from, and that was likely because they have multiple sites linking back and forth to each other. Most of the 200 sites, which included some excellent photographers, saw no benefit from having those links back and forth to other photographers. In fact, one could argue that it might even draw a buyer away from your site to somewhere else.

If you don't spend a WHOLE LOT OF TIME marketing your site, the networking feature is useless, IMHO.  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:01 by cathyslife »

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 06:54 »
+2
thanks guys..
It is a wordpress theme/plugin and there are alternatives. I agree, a waste of time.
Really! Wordpress alternatives? can you please mention them?
I'm currently using Ktools but  not happy with their SEO (it really sucks) another reason is that google considers Mobile-friendly as a ranking factor now..

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:58 »
Plenty of threads on this forum on alternatives, some from even the last couple of months. Look for self hosting threads.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 07:05 »
+6
The legacy version of Symbiostock is no longer being developed but is being supported to the extent of keeping it functional with Wordpress updates.

A new version of Symbiostock, being developed by someone new, not the original developer, is in Beta testing.  Not many details yet on what will be in the base (free) plugin and what options will be paid add ons. 

There were pros and cons to the Legacy version SEO. It did not bring cross-site sales was expected but it did help increase Google indexing and visibility, especially when you were actively uploading and blogging. I also notice a relationship between searches and sales on the established sites.  Could be coincidence that it's an active topic or that someone finds me via Google then tracks me to an account they have with one of the majors.  Exclusive images on my site would help that.

I am taking a wait and see stance before converting to the new Symbiostock. I want to see what it offers and what the cost is before I undo what I have now.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 07:05 »
+2
For some. For most photographers who are building a site to sell their own photos, no.

That was a big part of the selling point of SY, and after about 200 people signed on, only a few saw benefit from, and that was likely because they have multiple sites linking back and forth to each other. Most of the 200 sites, which included some excellent photographers, saw no benefit from having those links back and forth to other photographers. In fact, one could argue that it might even draw a buyer away from your site to somewhere else.

If you don't spend a WHOLE LOT OF TIME marketing your site, the networking feature is useless, IMHO.  :)
Thats not SEO

Semmick Photo

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 07:06 »
+13
Plenty of threads on this forum on alternatives, some from even the last couple of months. Look for self hosting threads.
Why dont you just name them instead of giving people the run around...

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 09:43 »
+1
Why dont you just name them instead of giving people the run around...

Alternative would be interesting.
Wordpress + Woocomerce + free Digital Media plugin + vat plugin.
If there is such a setup we just need a crowd founded searchengine that we can all promote. Somthing like a non profit foundation.
Everyone who wants conected to the searchengine pay a membership fee.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 09:47 »
+2
PicturEngine

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 09:57 »
Yes somthing like that. But in non-profit organization funded through small membership fees :-*. Its just a dream I know...

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 10:16 »
Hi Tan to on,

If you're an illustrator, try GRFX.co by Leo Blanchette (the founder of Symbio Stock). It's free and you get a functioning, competitive site within minutes.

More about grfx can be found through the Illustrators Introduction http://www.grfx.co/grfx-an-illustrators-introduction/

marthamarks

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 10:17 »
PicturEngine

Would PicturEngine replace one's own individual site (Symbiostock or other)?

I hadn't heard of it before but just looked at the site (http://www.picturengine.com) and now am curious.

Thanks!

stock-will-eat-itself

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 10:56 »
This looks like a decent WordPress option if you want to go it alone.

http://themeforest.net/item/stocky-a-stock-photography-marketplace-theme/8087525

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 11:01 »
Would it work for vectors? I'm not sure.

stock-will-eat-itself

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 11:04 »
Would it work for vectors? I'm not sure.

It uses this...

https://easydigitaldownloads.com

Don't see why not.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 11:39 »
I really love this place.. thank you so much for your help and the info.
easydigitaldownloads is interesting indeed and I may consider the mentioned theme if the developer is continually updating it (seems he does!)

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 11:39 »
+5

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 12:36 »
+1
PicturEngine

I don't think that's ever getting off the ground - I know it's still around, but it's slow, the image display is (IMO, if I think with a buyer hat on) not appealing and it'd be quicker to check 2 or 3 of your favorite sites

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 12:44 »
+2

easydigitaldownloads is interesting indeed

It's possible you could make something work with a solution for digital downloads, but I'm guessing (I haven't installed this to check it out) it won't do the work to generate the size you  need on the fly if you're selling more sizes than just the "original".

I'd also check carefully to make sure that your unwatermarked, full resolution originals aren't stored somewhere easily accessed (e.g. all those images in wp-content that show up in Google image searches). You'll also need to be able to indicate that what someone is buying is a license to use the image, not the image itself and possibly multiple license options (regular and extended) for the same product.

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 13:04 »
+2

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 13:11 »
https://graphpaperpress.com/plugins/sell-media/

that looks very good! Does it needs only WP or Woocommerce too?

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 13:19 »
https://graphpaperpress.com/plugins/sell-media/

that looks very good! Does it needs only WP or Woocommerce too?

It is a plugin for wordpress. GPP has themes that integrate right into the plugin, but when I had my site, I used a different theme from photocrati (http://www.photocrati.com/)  because there wasn't much choice in the GPP themes. Since then, they have added more choices for themes, tho.