pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: The Alamy Blog - what would you like us to write about?  (Read 5926 times)

« on: May 19, 2015, 10:12 »
+2
Hopefully you're all regular readers already, but if not, here's a link to the Alamy Blog: http://www.alamy.com/Blog/

and more specifically, the posts marked "for contributors": http://www.alamy.com/blog/category/for-contributors

At least 2 posts a week get added and we're open to suggestions for future topic posts. If there's anything you'd like us to explore, explain, interpret or investigate for a future blog post, let us know. We'll read all replies and suggestions in this thread and where possible will put together the relevant blog posts for you in the near future.

Cheers

Alamy

PS - you can also tweet suggestions to @alamycontent or using the hashtag #alamyblogideas

Semmick Photo

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 11:33 »
What's the royalties for ideas?

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 11:50 »
It looks like a lot of the articles are aimed at helping contributors, I hope you aren't saying that contributors should have to pay for access to it?  Maybe try to give a serious response?  If you want people from the sites to continue to use this forum it's the least you could do.

In reply to the question, I'd like info on the video side of things.  Content needs, timeline for making it available through FTP, etc...

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 12:28 »
I would be very interested to know how the sales are in different regions/countries and what categories are best performing there.
I have the impression Alamy in Europe is only working for UK. Do I waste my time sending in Belgian, French, Dutch or German topic pictures ?

Semmick Photo

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 14:43 »
It looks like a lot of the articles are aimed at helping contributors, I hope you aren't saying that contributors should have to pay for access to it?  Maybe try to give a serious response?  If you want people from the sites to continue to use this forum it's the least you could do.

In reply to the question, I'd like info on the video side of things.  Content needs, timeline for making it available through FTP, etc...
It wouldnt be called royalties then.

Tryingmybest

• Stand up for what is right
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 15:44 »
+1
It's an informative blog. It loads slow on my laptop. Lots of content coming in at once may be the cause. I suggest you feature more contributors and their specialties. Or an interview with them. Possibly focus on a particular image in their portfolio. I like to read about seasoned artists and new ones. Then reward them for taking time to share their history and tips with a 100% royalty week.  8)

Hopefully you're all regular readers already, but if not, here's a link to the Alamy Blog: http://www.alamy.com/Blog/

and more specifically, the posts marked "for contributors": http://www.alamy.com/blog/category/for-contributors

At least 2 posts a week get added and we're open to suggestions for future topic posts. If there's anything you'd like us to explore, explain, interpret or investigate for a future blog post, let us know. We'll read all replies and suggestions in this thread and where possible will put together the relevant blog posts for you in the near future.

Cheers

Alamy

PS - you can also tweet suggestions to @alamycontent or using the hashtag #alamyblogideas

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 05:59 »
The 'needed' feature is interesting, but just the same as Getty's wanted list, many are not available because they would be very expensive to set up (property permission and releases/multiple models, etc) yet niche and there is no indication that these would be valuable sales - people could fulfil these and get tiny royalties for their efforts.
(To be fair, the Getty requests tend to be far more specific/niche/limiting.)
No doubt the buyers have already bought 'as near as possible' or multiple files to composite, or bought elsewhere, so their specific needs have gone; and there's no reason to suggest that many of the 'specific' shoots would ever be needed again.
If buyers can't find what they need, it would be worth them offering a specific fee for the image to be taken for them, then contributors could weigh up the cost/value ratio, taking into account the likely competition for the sale.

BTW, should "Real life gangs from Honduras and South America" be fully model-released?!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:27 by ShadySue »

KB

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 23:49 »
I stopped reading the Alamy Blog after they removed the RSS feed. I guess I'm still stuck in the early 21st century, when RSS was popular.  :(

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 03:38 »
+2
Please enable the RSS feed for your blog so that I can subscribe to it via my RSS reader. Otherwise I won't bother trying to check regularly/manually for the latest posts.

As for topics, I'd like to read more about customer buying trends and patterns based on Alamy's clientele, target market, demographics etc. Also interviews with clients and top contributors.

Thanks.