pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Did SS change the search again??  (Read 15771 times)

Rinderart

« on: May 22, 2015, 20:15 »
Im thinking yes. Anyone notice anything. Im having HUGE days from stuff that is so far Buried I can't tell ya. Like BDE in 10 Years kinda days since last tues. anyone? Not complaining one bit But WOW!! whatever there doing...PLEASE keep it up. Im Talking stuff that I didn't even recognize as Mine there so Old. And not just a random few Like always But the vast majority.... Maybe Im Part of a test?? Dunno.

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 23:52 »
+5
Im thinking yes. Anyone notice anything. Im having HUGE days from stuff that is so far Buried I can't tell ya. Like BDE in 10 Years kinda days since last tues. anyone? Not complaining one bit But WOW!! whatever there doing...PLEASE keep it up. Im Talking stuff that I didn't even recognize as Mine there so Old. And not just a random few Like always But the vast majority.... Maybe Im Part of a test?? Dunno.

Nothing out of the ordinary here.

PZF

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 02:04 »
+1
For sure something seems to be up.

Out of the blue I had ONE mega day in terms of DLs this week (not money). At last - I thought the 'old' normal might be back.

However, the new normality seems to have returned: three other weekdays have barely been better than normal weekend days in terms of DLs. 

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 03:15 »
+16
I haven't sold much of my newer uploads for a long time now.  My old images carry on selling, haven't noticed any change this month except I have no EL's and less SOD's than usual and I am heading for my worst month for earnings in years.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 06:25 »
+2
I haven't sold much of my newer uploads for a long time now.  My old images carry on selling, haven't noticed any change this month except I have no EL's and less SOD's than usual and I am heading for my worst month for earnings in years.

Several people reporting very bad months here including myself. I wonder if SS reporting is actually working properly.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 07:37 »
+5

Most likely you got a few customers who liked your portfolio and bought several images that day. In SS search you can see files slowly going up or down according to sales. Not like some other agencies where all of a sudden images change position completely.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 08:28 »
+2
Things are normal for me. But if it is a test, I hope they roll it out quickly!

Rinderart

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 11:39 »
Whats an EL????

Me

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 13:52 »
+4
Whats an EL????

Really? BDE for ten years with no ELs?

Rinderart

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 14:36 »
Whats an EL????

Really? BDE for ten years with no ELs?

It was a joke. BDE in Subs. My record is 8 EL's in a day about 3 years ago.

Sorry for trying to be Positive.....For a change. Im ending My month Up  instead of down. Just wondering if anyone else is showing a change that may have happened this week that could or could not be tied to the search being changed. Maybe....Certain Ports or groups are being tested? 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 20:28 by Rinderart »

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 09:36 »
I was worried about not making a payout for the first time in five years and this past week was pretty awesome. Finally!

PZF

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 11:11 »
It seems I now get one day per week in the spotlight - for the rest it may as well be a weekend!
:(

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 11:45 »
+2
I thought sales this month were looking to be like 20% down from May, but now it's looking like 10-12%... just before June hits.  I don't know if anything changed, but I still miss the "good old days" of mid 2011 through mid 2012 when BME's were abundant and widespread. 

The "Single & Other Downloads" can sneak up and make/break your month, nowadays

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 13:08 »
+2
What happened to the Facebook dls in the SOD space - used to add a nice sum to the bottom line but they seem to have dried up in May.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 13:10 »
Weird here too. I have last week all weekend days  :(

In FT also. But my rankings grow. So all contributors sell fewer I think.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 13:32 »
+3
Could be just one customer has gone through your port and downloaded lots of things they like. Now the the daily download limits are gone it could be more likely to happen I guess.

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 14:17 »
Could be just one customer has gone through your port and downloaded lots of things they like. Now the the daily download limits are gone it could be more likely to happen I guess.

That's a good point - if they get to your port and like the images they might download a lot at once.  I haven't noticed that any more than previously but we can always hope.

dpimborough

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 16:50 »
+2
They certainly have changed the search I've noticed when searching in relevant and popular that those searches just return clusters of images from single producers.

They drown everything else out.

The relevant and popular search is obviously being skewed toward certain individuals

Also prior to April SS always made up around 60% of my revenue April it dropped to 44% and May is no better
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 16:53 by Teddy the Cat »

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 16:52 »
+3
This month is SHOCKING for me. Extremely low. Down by 25-30% compared to anything I remember.  I haven't worried about too much of the microstock business while SS kept the numbers OK. But the recent numbers are remembering me to the sinking of IS and FTL (a few years ago). What . happened?

dpimborough

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:29 by Teddy the Cat »

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 15:19 »
And if you want proof on how skewed the relevant search is just look at this

it's supposed to be a search for latte coffee

Flooded by irrelevant shots all by one producer

http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?autocomplete_id=14329306984897595000&language=en&lang=en&search_source=&safesearch=1&version=llv1&searchterm=latte+coffee&media_type=images&media_type2=images&search_cat=&searchtermx=&photographer_name=&people_gender=&people_age=&people_ethnicity=&people_number=&color=

It's not so bad, I bet at least half of them have coffee in the image.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 16:29 »
+2

http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?autocomplete_id=14329306984897595000&language=en&lang=en&search_source=&safesearch=1&version=llv1&searchterm=latte+coffee&media_type=images&media_type2=images&search_cat=&searchtermx=&photographer_name=&people_gender=&people_age=&people_ethnicity=&people_number=&color=

I wondered if I had a different search result. I'd say well over half of what I see is specifically latte coffee. Do they have differentiated search results?

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 16:50 »

I wondered if I had a different search result. I'd say well over half of what I see is specifically latte coffee. Do they have differentiated search results?

From what I see about 1/3 have a latte as their focus, 1/3 have a latte featured or incidental to the image, and another 1/3 don't have a latte in the image.  For a search claiming to be about relevance all the images on the first page (out of 100,000 images with that keyword) should have a latte as the focus.  The popular search is much more relevant for that keyword.

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 17:05 »
+3

From what I see about 1/3 have a latte as their focus, 1/3 have a latte featured or incidental to the image, and another 1/3 don't have a latte in the image.  For a search claiming to be about relevance all the images on the first page (out of 100,000 images with that keyword) should have a latte as the focus.  The popular search is much more relevant for that keyword.
[/quote]

Aha, The relevant is not relevant at all!!

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 17:19 »
+1
For a search claiming to be about relevance all the images on the first page (out of 100,000 images with that keyword) should have a latte as the focus. 
How could that be done without a human looking at every image and rating all the keywords for relative relevance, given that AFAIK there isn't a keyword ranking system when uploading to SS (correct me if I'm wrong).