MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: $5 clips on Dissolve - race to the bottom continues  (Read 7661 times)

« on: May 24, 2015, 08:50 »

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/10/5-dollars-per-hd-stock-clip-dissolve

From the end of article posts from Dissolve:

"Hi Irving, thanks for the feedback. We believe that with the explosion of high-quality footage being shot right now that older, lesser-quality, or easy-to-shoot stock is being rapidly devalued. (Parallel to what is happening in music, publishing, and other media.) Only premium visual content will merit high prices, and the bar is always being raised. We intend to carry a range of clips within this new pricing pardadigm.
We agree our selection is somewhat limited now but we are signing new contributors every day. Stay tuned.

As for footage being cheaper on those other sites - note we always provide the high-resolution HD file for our prices, which puts us far ahead value-wise in many cases."

Dissolve only pays 30% as it is.  But from the post above (from the link provided) they clearly are making decisions around asset value.  Can you imagine uploading clips that you believe will get you a $24 commission and you find that you get $1.50 instead?

It's just amazing how these companies think. Big stock, of course, is also on that same cheap bandwagon. So for $5, customers get a high resolution clip, it's not downsized. That's a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Maybe this has been posted before but I couldn't find anything in the Dissolve category.

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 09:01 »
+3
That article is from 2013. Dissolve very quickly realised that the $5 mark was not going to work and made the cheapest level $50. All my HD clips there are $80 and 4k clips are $300 (their pricing). So HD clips are basically the same price and royalty as SS.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:33 »
+1
That article is from 2013. Dissolve very quickly realised that the $5 mark was not going to work and made the cheapest level $50. All my HD clips there are $80 and 4k clips are $300 (their pricing). So HD clips are basically the same price and royalty as SS.

Thanks. See how much I know? Glad to hear that. Now all we need is to get 50% commission.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 09:59 »

Thanks. See how much I know? Glad to hear that. Now all we need is to get 50% commission.

Do you have any clips on Dissolve?

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 11:33 »

Do you have any clips on Dissolve?

I have some as a test. Still not 100% sure i want to makenit a main site mainly due to the 5 year hook.

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 12:41 »
+3
Not only the five year hook, even three years in this industry is an impossible long period.
But also you don't have the chance to delete or deactivate your own clips if you want it.
You don't receive the notification of the downloads more often than every 30 days.
You are allowed to go and check the business just in their offices and once a year which sounds strange.
I don't know, maybe they are nice people but so many elements of the contract sound very unpleasant.
Not thinking of the start when they went out with the 5 dollars clip strategy, where prices are decided only by their editors, this is not in place any more but give a special colour to the relationship with contributors.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 20:57 »
-I take back my words, perhaps too rude-

Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:08 by Open_ »

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 21:03 »
Complaining and still submitting.

I see alot idiots nowaday, the contributor.

You spelled alot wrong. It's "a lot". And as I was saying, I did upload some test files. If I would have known there was a $5 bucket I would have not uploaded anything. You need to learn how to infer. I can provide that definition for you if you don't know what infer means, it's pretty obvious you don't.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 22:57 »
I'm not sure what you mean by a 5 year hook. The contributors agreement is for 5 years (and then on a yearly basis after that), but doesn't stipulate that you are tied in for all that time. It says that you can terminate the agreement at any time with 120 days written notice.

As for deleting or deactivating files, they currently don't have an interface to do that yourself, but you can contact support and they will delete files at your request.