MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Image Appropriation enters "The Twilight Zone"  (Read 3435 times)

« on: May 25, 2015, 14:49 »
+5
Or perhaps "The Outer Limits?"  Truth can sometimes be stranger than fiction...

http://petapixel.com/2015/05/21/richard-prince-selling-other-peoples-instagram-shots-without-permission-for-100k/

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 14:58 »
+7
Despicable.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 16:35 »
+8
The really incomprehensible thing is the court decisions backing him up.  It seems like it isn't too hard to get a judge completely befuddled about "fair use" and what constitutes "art". 

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 17:22 »
+8
Just another scum bag who lives on the backs of real artists.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 18:35 »
The average judge is about a hundred books and several years of indoctrination from reality.

I urge everyone to do as I have done - google the news feeds on this charlatan eg Artnet and tweet the s**t out of it

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 20:38 »
+3
I'm not a photographer but:
The photos look ok on the webstite story, but how would a cell phone pic look when blown up to 4865-inch? $90k good? Somebody needs to email those NY suckers 'art' collectors: "The Emperor of Fine Art has no clothes."

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 04:24 »
+6
It took me a while to "get" what he is doing but I think his "artwork" really says something about attitudes today so is definitely worthwhile and makes a statement that needs to be made. It really brings home what an entitled bunch of self centred, non-thinking, thieving a-holes a lot of people are in a way I haven't seen before. I think for the project to be complete though he needs to go to prison and have all the wonderful things that happen to art world types behind bars happen to him. Hopefully that is what he has planned for the next phase.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 05:37 by Justanotherphotographer »

Fudio

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 06:29 »
+3
It took me a while to "get" what he is doing but I think his "artwork" really says something about attitudes today so is definitely worthwhile and makes a statement that needs to be made. It really brings home what an entitled bunch of self centred, non-thinking, thieving a-holes a lot of people are in a way I haven't seen before. I think for the project to be complete though he needs to go to prison and have all the wonderful things that happen to art world types behind bars happen to him. Hopefully that is what he has planned for the next phase.

Initially I thought exactly the same thing. Wow, what a brilliant and bold statement the guy's making. After looking a little deeper though it didn't take long to realize that he's been doing this with impunity since the mid 1970's; long before the era of extreme entitlement we're living in now. To me that means he's either a) an extremely innovative artistic genius possessing a gift for clairvoyance,  or b) the original douche bag. My money is on the latter.

Every generation sees its share of controversial "artists" and for mine one standout is Kostabi. Unlike Prince though, at least Kostabi payed his "idea people" and "creators" ten bucks an hour. The real rubes in any of these hype art trends are the alleged buyers.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 09:56 »
+5
There's always a market for outrageous anti-art created by certified "bad boys".  The buyers are ultra-rich doofuses who want to hang it in the summer home for their next big party, then stand in front of it sloshing a martini and talking about how much they paid. 

Artists used to get their Bad Boy certificates via something like a drug conviction, homelessness or an out-of-control personal life. 

But today we have this, and Arnie Svenson.  And a couple of judges who have gotten so confused by all this Interweb stuff that they've lost their basic concepts of privacy, originality and intellectual property. 

Guys like Prince and Svenson are the art world's equivalent of patent trolls.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:05 by stockastic »

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 23:00 »
+1
I guess the scammers who do 'fine art' are finding it ever more difficult to come up with crap to sell to suckers art collectors.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-hot-in-the-art-world-algorithms-1432687554

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 04:07 »
I guess the scammers who do 'fine art' are finding it ever more difficult to come up with crap to sell to suckers art collectors.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-hot-in-the-art-world-algorithms-1432687554

"Toffs are careless"