pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: An all-round crap week  (Read 5049 times)

Semmick Photo

« on: May 28, 2015, 15:30 »
+2
I had two raving weeks and the past week just threw a spanner in the works. The past week, starting Friday was just pants. It kind of dampened the joy in May as it looked to be smashing my BME. Now its just a normal month.

Any ideas on why this would happen across the board and not just one or two sites?

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 15:45 »
+1
Monday was a religious holiday in many countries which explains the beginning of the week being bad

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 15:49 »
+3
In the United States last weekend was Memorial Day weekend. This is the unofficial start of Summer and a lot of people go on vacation. Don't expect June to be much better.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 15:52 »
Crap week here, too. Month will be BME due to a giant sale on Alamy but everything else has been slow since last Friday. I figure it's a combination of the holidays, summer, and the SS switch to no daily limits (people may have used subs up earlier in the month).

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 16:04 »
+3
Crap week here, too. Month will be BME due to a giant sale on Alamy but everything else has been slow since last Friday. I figure it's a combination of the holidays, summer, and the SS switch to no daily limits (people may have used subs up earlier in the month).
It doesn't work that way, monthly subs start on the day the subscription was bought.  There should be a wide spread of start and end times for them.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 17:54 »
Ah, thanks!

WeatherENG

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 20:20 »
+1
I am only in video but there has been a massive drop in views and sales staring around mid April and deepening into and through May and Google has made some changes, mobile friendly preferred, and now another update to the algorithm, online businesses have gone bankrupt over stuff like this.

For me my views are 50% less, sales were 0 for the whole month compared with 1-8 a day but there was a spurt of sales just recently but looks like one customer as all clips where in my cold severe weather category.   

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102669423

https://moz.com/google-algorithm-change

My content is kinda specialized and yea sudden drop long before the holiday weekend.  Guess we have to do our own external promotion on every platform possible, easier said than done if you are not a social media and SEO expert.

Mark

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 00:17 by leaf »

Semmick Photo

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 00:30 »
+1
I am not buying the holidays argument. Summer  Holidays don't start in May. It's not summer yet. I sold more on the Monday bank holiday than yesterday. On SS I haven't had a sale since last evening. I had zero sales days on 123. Didn't sell anything on PD for a week.  CanStockPhoto is dead since 22 May.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 01:21 »
other than PD which died the 22nd for me this last week has been pretty good for me - Monday was another weekend day, but the rest of the days have been ticking along nicely... This is in comparison to the rest of the year which has been rather poor compared to 2012-2014. Maybe they shook the search snowglobe and a few flakes went my way, or maybe my expectations have been lowered enough that this looks ok.

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 06:44 »
@ Semmick Photo - are you sure that you live in Ireland? If yes, you should know that last monday wasnt a Bank Holiday. Bank Holiday is next monday!

Semmick Photo

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:44 »
+3
@ Semmick Photo - are you sure that you live in Ireland? If yes, you should know that last monday wasnt a Bank Holiday. Bank Holiday is next monday!
LOL. Do all buyers live in Ireland? Half of Europe was on BH for Pentecost, and the US had Memorial Day. That has a bigger impact on my images than a BH in Ireland alone.

ruxpriencdiam

This user is banned.
  • Location. Third stone from the sun
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 09:58 »
+1
I am not buying the holidays argument. Summer  Holidays don't start in May. It's not summer yet.
Maybe not in Ireland because of the climate but in the States Memorial Day is the unofficial kickoff of summer!

Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the people who died while serving in the country's armed forces. The holiday, which is observed every year on the last Monday of May, originated as Decoration Day after the American Civil War in 1868, when the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of Union veterans established it as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the war dead with flowers. By the 20th century, competing Union and Confederate holiday traditions, celebrated on different days, had merged, and Memorial Day eventually extended to honor all Americans who died while in the military service. It typically marks the start of the summer vacation season, while Labor Day marks its end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

Semmick Photo

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 10:05 »
+4
So all us buyers went on holidays this week?

marthamarks

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 10:06 »
Maybe not in Ireland because of the climate but in the States Memorial Day is the unofficial kickoff of summer!

Righto. It's a family cook-out day, go-to-the-park/beach day, celebrate the start of summer day, etc. It's a safe bet that verrrrrry few people in the US were buying stock photos on Memorial Day.

marthamarks

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 10:06 »
So all us buyers went on holidays this week?

No, Americans didn't all go on holidays this week. But we did do lots of other fun stuff on Monday. (See my post right above.)

ETA: It's also one of our official 3-day holiday weekends. So big bunches of people do hit the highways that weekend and aren't working on Monday.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 10:07 »
+1
I  am not talking about one off day!

Semmick Photo

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 10:08 »
+2
Americans are not the only buyers either

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 10:10 »
+2
It's summer in the U.S. Memorial Day kicks off summer Fridays at most ad agencies...either a half day or full Friday off from now through Labor Day (September). Summers are slow in U.S. ad agencies.

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 10:12 »
+1
Ebb and flow.  One good week balances out with a bad one.  You've been here long enough to know that you shouldn't judge anything by one day or one week.  Besides before gostwyck's comments were removed he had a $200+ day so maybe it's just you.  Maybe it was the holiday, the beginning of summer, Shutterstock's broken site, the massive amount of new files being accepted or something else out of your control.  Probably best to just give up.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:15 by tickstock »

Semmick Photo

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 10:15 »
+2
I am  having a normal month. I just got peeved off that the bad run ruined the fun.

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 13:32 »
slow sales for memorial day weekend, but SS has been BME due to twice normal EL and DT, canva and 123 also doing well

WeatherENG

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 21:23 »
+1
Slightly less of an all round crap week this week for me at P5, my specialty is all things, weather, severe weather and on university campus events plus some generic in city crowds stuff......mostly branded editorial but this week there have been some sales so maybe things picking up a bit....hopefully.

So many comments in various forums about this sudden drop in sales since  mid-April but this week so far is a little better and it's not quite over yet but like OPEC and oil prices, I am holding off on raising all my prices until I see what lies ahead, if good then the plan is to firm up the prices.

Mark
https://www.pond5.com/artist/WeatherENG

http://www.pond5.com/stock-video-footage-sound-effects-music-after-effects-photos-illustrations-images-3d-models/1/artist%3AWeatherENG.html#1

dpimborough

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 01:48 »
+2
Memorial day does not account for the fact that SS sales have dropped 20% and it looks like I'll make less than 50% of a usual week in the first week of June.

All sales from Australia have stopped as well as Europe South America and SE Asia.

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 02:32 »
sales are strong this week( first week after march that i see some boost in sales ), hope the whole june will be like this, june 2104 was also very good .

Memorial day does not account for the fact that SS sales have dropped 20% and it looks like I'll make less than 50% of a usual week in the first week of June.

All sales from Australia have stopped as well as Europe South America and SE Asia.

WeatherENG

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 22:39 »

I'm only on P5 and there has been a slump there as well, wonder if everyone is going to that site that is giving way good content for free. Clip views have dropped and so have sales, have to really have niche content that one can't get for free elsewhere is what it's looking like.

Mark
http://www.pond5.com/artist/WeatherENG