MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Black and white photos  (Read 4538 times)

« on: May 30, 2015, 08:04 »
May I know is it Black and white photos saleable in stock agency?Actually I took some photos from taiwan street, after edited just realized black and white is better than color image.Just wonder can try to submit in black and white?thanks

Regards,
Grace

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 08:29 »
They do accept B&W.  However, most agencies prefer to give the option to buyers to convert to other tones.  Some images do look better and are more impactful in B&W, but you have to be good at it. I think Rinder has some excellent experience in outputting B&W.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 09:54 »
+3
I have several b&w photos that have sold well.

But today they'd probably be rejected for 'white balance'.  :)

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:54 »
Or you can upload both.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 11:11 »
May I know is it Black and white photos saleable in stock agency?Actually I took some photos from taiwan street, after edited just realized black and white is better than color image.Just wonder can try to submit in black and white?thanks

Regards,
Grace
I have submitted B&W images to stock (SS, iS, FT, DT, 123RF & CanStockPhoto) when I feel that the B&W image has more impact than the color. They have also sold a few times. Pond5 does not accept B&W images; they believe it should be up to the buyer to change it to B&W :)

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 13:10 »
+6

Regards,
Grace
I have submitted B&W images to stock (SS, iS, FT, DT, 123RF & CanStockPhoto) when I feel that the B&W image has more impact than the color. They have also sold a few times. Pond5 does not accept B&W images; they believe it should be up to the buyer to change it to B&W :)
It's funny to make that sort of assumption about a buyer's ability when a proportion of them don't know how to resize an image for the web.

Rinderart

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 14:10 »
+2
Historically, My B&W Images way Outsell My color. Knowing which Image to do and Knowing how properly is the key. Most folks don't really get the process and it is totally subject specific as to method which is endless. Proper toning is a huge factor. Printing Fineart B&W in a darkroom for myself and others was My Main Business many years before Microstock. I switched to digital Full time in 1999 and It took a year and a half to master B&W digitally that I could do in a darkroom Blindfolded and studying the negative density. As far as P5. I just don't send them  Color versions. All other sites, I send both But never, ever at the same time.wait at least a Month in between.I do Lots of conversions for many folks. If ya have something Ya believe in, I'll do it for ya. Just PM me, I enjoy it. and If it's the wrong Image...I'll tell ya why..Biggest problem is red and warm Tones. Cool 3300K works best.

heres a good piece.

https://luminous-landscape.com/bw-master-print/

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 14:19 »
Historically, My B&W Images way Outsell My color. Knowing which Image to do and Knowing how properly is the key. Most folks don't really get the process and it is totally subject specific as to method which is endless. Proper toning is a huge factor. Printing Fineart B&W in a darkroom for myself and others was My Main Business many years before Microstock. I switched to digital Full time in 1999 and It took a year and a half to master B&W digitally that I could do in a darkroom Blindfolded and studying the negative density. As far as P5. I just don't send them  Color versions. All other sites, I send both But never, ever at the same time.wait at least a Month in between.I do Lots of conversions for many folks. If ya have something Ya believe in, I'll do it for ya. Just PM me, I enjoy it. and If it's the wrong Image...I'll tell ya why..Biggest problem is red and warm Tones. Cool 3300K works best.

heres a good piece.

https://luminous-landscape.com/bw-master-print/

Gorgeous image!

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 00:55 »

Regards,
Grace
It's funny to make that sort of assumption about a buyer's ability when a proportion of them don't know how to resize an image for the web.
You are right Sue ! I have even added a note to Pond5 stating that I dont plan to submit a color image and the B&W image is the only one for sale; yet they have still gone on to reject. But the rest of the agencies are open to B&W images and they do sell. Only less than 5% of my images are sold as B&W.

Rinderart

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 02:38 »

Regards,
Grace
You are right Sue ! I have even added a note to Pond5 stating that I dont plan to submit a color image and the B&W image is the only one for sale; yet they have still gone on to reject. But the rest of the agencies are open to B&W images and they do sell. Only less than 5% of my images are sold as B&W.

Hmmmmmm, They take Mine.I tell them if they wanna make money they should...LOL

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 02:56 »

Hmmmmmm, They take Mine.I tell them if they wanna make money they should...LOL
I agree Laurin ! I am sure they know the value of your work and experience and they are doing the right thing by listening to you :)