MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Warning about Demotix  (Read 14913 times)

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 22:14 »
I did a rough calculation as to what I should been paid when the news story broke and my images got plastered in the press and TV all over the world, and the repeated use of my images. Demotix basically scammed me of an estimated 20,000 in revenues.

Honestly, I am very curious to know what the story was that broke and which you think would have led you to make "20,000 in revenues". Can you tell us on this forum?

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 07:53 »
I notice the OP photosales2015 has gone awfully quiet - maybe he/she is on holiday, busy with other things. Nonetheless, as a working photographer myself I would still like to know what the news event was that he/she thinks could have earned revenues of 20,000. Can DM if he/she wants to keep it private.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 08:38 »
+2
He probably just doesn't feel obliged to answer to you

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 02:47 »
It seems LightStalkers is offline since a long time ... this is yet another sad development, they're all moving to FB and Twitter :(

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 03:32 »

Yes quite possible - just that the figures he/she suggests they might have earned seem implausible

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 12:06 »
I notice the OP photosales2015 has gone awfully quiet - maybe he/she is on holiday, busy with other things. Nonetheless, as a working photographer myself I would still like to know what the news event was that he/she thinks could have earned revenues of 20,000. Can DM if he/she wants to keep it private.

I signed up to issue a warning based on my own experiences - not to hold daily conversations with trolls. If you don't want to listen to it - go and lose money on Demonix. It's your choice.

If you think you can't make 20,000 on breaking news you must either be joking. 20,000 is nothing. I know photographers who make over 150,000 on two, three photos within a month. They'd find your comment amusing.

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2015, 12:12 »

No, I don't feel "obliged" to sit on a forum all day long. I've already said what I wanted to say.

I have a pretty intense schedule and I won't be spending the little spare time I have on here. If you're happy with Demotix, go ahead. I was trying to be nice to photographers out there and save them losses.

If you've never made 20,000 out of news, you may wish to reconsider your business model.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2015, 13:21 »
+1

No, I don't feel "obliged" to sit on a forum all day long. I've already said what I wanted to say.

I have a pretty intense schedule and I won't be spending the little spare time I have on here. If you're happy with Demotix, go ahead. I was trying to be nice to photographers out there and save them losses.

If you've never made 20,000 out of news, you may wish to reconsider your business model.
Why were you gratutiously snide to SemmickPhoto?
Where did he say anything about Demotix?
Where did he say he was even submitting news?

Semmick Photo

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2015, 13:23 »
+2
The quotes have become a bit messy.

Not sure why he snapped at me, I was defending him. Probably misunderstood my comment.

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2015, 19:51 »
+1

I signed up to issue a warning based on my own experiences - not to hold daily conversations with trolls. If you don't want to listen to it - go and lose money on Demonix. It's your choice.

If you think you can't make 20,000 on breaking news you must either be joking. 20,000 is nothing. I know photographers who make over 150,000 on two, three photos within a month. They'd find your comment amusing.

As a working photographer myself, your reluctance to answer even what the event was that you claim you lost revenue on speaks volumes - i even sent you a PM in case you wanted it kept private.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:30 by freefromnkt »

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 08:06 »
+1
Came across this thread and I think you've already smoked out that photosales2015 is the troll. The comment "If you think you can't make 20,000 on breaking news you must either be joking. 20,000 is nothing. I know photographers who make over 150,000 on two, three photos within a month. They'd find your comment amusing." is what I found most amusing.
I honestly think someone needs to wake up and smell the coffee or get back in the DeLorean and come back to the present. How many news pictures have any of us seen in the last 10 years let alone months that you think news organisations would be willing to pay up to 150k for? Do you know anything about the state of the newspaper / magazine industry?
The fact you're not willing to even say what the picture or news event was illustrates that you're not only wasting your time, you're wasting the time of other photographers who actually looking for sensible, sane advice. I think photosales2015 better go back to smoking rolled up five pound notes on your 150k per month earnings mate. Tool.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 08:21 »
+1
Came across this thread and I think you've already smoked out that photosales2015 is the troll. The comment "If you think you can't make 20,000 on breaking news you must either be joking. 20,000 is nothing. I know photographers who make over 150,000 on two, three photos within a month. They'd find your comment amusing." is what I found most amusing.
I honestly think someone needs to wake up and smell the coffee or get back in the DeLorean and come back to the present. How many news pictures have any of us seen in the last 10 years let alone months that you think news organisations would be willing to pay up to 150k for? Do you know anything about the state of the newspaper / magazine industry?
The fact you're not willing to even say what the picture or news event was illustrates that you're not only wasting your time, you're wasting the time of other photographers who actually looking for sensible, sane advice. I think photosales2015 better go back to smoking rolled up five pound notes on your 150k per month earnings mate. Tool.
If you work for Demotix it would be good to say so upfront. Just asking so everyone knows where they stand. I am always a bit suspicious of first time posters who jump in on super specific topics heavily on one side like this.

Oh and I agree, I can't work out why the OP started attacking people either.

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 09:01 »
+1
I think he was a troll too but having looked at Demotix in the past with a view of uploading to them i did go and have a look at what was being said on their own forums by their contributors. They look to have shut the forums down so perhaps all the bad contributor input was having an effect,glad i did not upload any work to them as they seemed to pay peanuts and treat contributors very badly.

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 15:09 »
I then immediately went to delete my images from their account but the account doesn't allow you to just delete them as you wish...

You can delete images from your account, it's not straight forward, but it's not rocket science either.

I just noticed this on their site. "Demotix reserves the right to pursue unauthorised users of this content. If you violate our intellectual property you may be liable for: actual damages, loss of income, and profits you derive from the use of this image or clip, and, where appropriate, the costs of collection and/or statutory damages."

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2015, 06:57 »

[/quote]
I am always a bit suspicious of first time posters who jump in on super specific topics heavily on one side like this.

Oh and I agree, I can't work out why the OP started attacking people either.
[/quote]

But you're not suspicious about a first time post about a specific, yet non specific front page news pic that no one wanted, yet everyone wanted and sold around the world, yet no one saw and AFP decided to rip it off the web because the Morrel case wasn't enough for them. I'm suspicious about anyone who wastes time on places like this giving crap advice like that. I was made redundant from a picture desk actually but want to make some money on the side through Shutterstock while searching for work So yes you could say I'm a little cynical about the newspaper industry full stop but don't worry I'll take a pic worth 150k this week, I just know it😀

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2015, 03:50 »
Just revisited the demotix website and had a look at their latest blog post,it really does look like they are not answering and are actively avoiding any questions about payments and reporting of sales. Has anyone anything good to say about them as i am still looking for another decent outlet for news/editorial images.