MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Who buys vector stock?  (Read 9349 times)

« on: June 16, 2015, 19:32 »
I'm new to selling vector stock, and I really enjoy making vector images in Illustrator. I'm trying to figure out what are the best vector images to sell. I think it would help to know about who buys most vector art and why? I know it is graphic designers, but what kind? what do they use it for most? how can I figure out what vectors will sell for me?

Thanks for any help!
Karla

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 20:31 »
You've just got to 'suck it and see', i.e. upload your work to various agencies and see what sells. You may find differences between the agencies.
What sells for other people means that there are well-established people in that subject area or style who are your competition.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 20:00 »
I know it is graphic designers, but what kind? what do they use it for most?

You are right, professional graphics designers use Illustrator and InDesign. They do work for businesses because businesses have money to spend on advertising. The guy who wants images for his book cover and the woman who wants pics for her blog probably do not know what a vector is. The surest way to make money is to learn about business and technology issues and what kind of illustrations are being used for ads and content about those issues.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 20:31 »
...what kind? what do they use it for most? how can I figure out what vectors will sell for me?

You figure it out by just working at it. This business is a lot like most others. You learn the ins and outs of the business by just grinding away at your craft, trying things out, seeing what works and what doesn't, and tailoring your strategy accordingly. What works for me might not work for you, and vice versa. Everyone has a different style, a different aesthetic, a different way of working and different techniques used in creating images. The only way to know what will sell for you is to try something and assess the results.

Also like most other businesses, there are no shortcuts. ;)

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 08:59 »
Thank you all! This is all really helpful and inspiring. I will look into business and technology issues. I am looking at groups like AIGA and others to learn what current illustration trends are. I know, in any art, the more you do it, the more your individual style shows through. Right now I think I'm mostly just experimenting with different styles and so I'm not cohesive yet.

It's all good!
Karla

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 09:35 »
Current trends are the top sellers....so you don't need to look at design associations... just look at what stock agencies sell..

In microstock in order to make money you need to have thousands of good images...What seems to be sell best or illustration trends are bundles with icons, logos, graphics that can be incorporated in web design, holiday themes, and anything that doesn't compete with photos.

It doesn't really matter if you are cohesive in style when it comes to micro stock...because you have to produce so much artwork, different themes, that you end up with more than one style.