pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: SS 4K price change to 199.  (Read 25306 times)

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2015, 14:53 »
P.S. why P5 doesn't offer packs?
You need to get off your nutty campaign against Pond5, how would a pack work when all the files are differently priced?  They also offer credit packs already https://www.pond5.com/index.php?page=credit_packages

So what P5 can offer to buyers to divert them from SS?

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2015, 14:58 »
+1

I am convinced that you are not contributing to p5 in photos or video and yet you seem to know everything.
Nonetheless,p5 does discounts from time to time.I dont know if they work but regardless we always get 50% commission discounted or not.
I have my issues with them and i express them in public but as far as i know noone does what they do as far as commissions are concerned.

And about the other thing you said earlier that you dont support p5 due to the absense of the extended licences,well let me put it this way about ss.
A rape is a rape regardless of someone passing a bottle of lube and giving a hug every now and then (pardon me for being so colorful)

Banned again and back within minutes with a new name and a rape reference. Charming.

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2015, 15:02 »

And about the other thing you said earlier that you dont support p5 due to the absense of the extended licences,well let me put it this way about ss.
A rape is a rape regardless of someone passing a bottle of lube and giving a hug every now and then (pardon me for being so colorful)

I never said that! Cobalt asked Q do they offer extended licenses and I just answered no.

All I am saying, with P5 current no strategy to increase sales and attract buyers, 50% is not going to help much to overtake "horrible" SS.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 16:20 by KnowYourOnions »

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2015, 15:10 »

I am convinced that you are not contributing to p5 in photos or video and yet you seem to know everything.
Nonetheless,p5 does discounts from time to time.I dont know if they work but regardless we always get 50% commission discounted or not.
I have my issues with them and i express them in public but as far as i know noone does what they do as far as commissions are concerned.

Banned again and back within minutes with a new name and a rape reference. Charming.

Havent been banned (yet) from this forum and i have never changed my nickname, you mistake me for someone else.
And please we are all adults here.Look past the vulgarity, im trying to make a point and there is no pretense or hidden agenda in my posts regardless of whether you like them,agree, or disagree with them.

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2015, 15:19 »

All I am saying, with P5 current no strategy to increase sales and attract buyers, 50% is not going to help much to overtake horrible SS.

I dont know about you but this 50% in revenue plus the freedom to price my clips surpasses the montly revenue of SS by a lot even on a lucky month there with 4K and el's.
By my stats in order for ss to surpass p5 it needs to make 2.5X times the sales because 30% there is never 30%.
And that wont happen even if ss starts selling editorials just like p5 does and stops rejecting clips for stupid reasons for example like every possible graffiti in walls (my latest example of utter ss stupidity)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 15:23 by gcrook »

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2015, 15:22 »
error.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2015, 15:25 »
+1

Havent been banned (yet) from this forum and i have never changed my nickname, you mistake me for someone else.
And please we are all adults here.Look past the vulgarity, im trying to make a point and there is no pretense or hidden agenda in my posts regardless of whether you like them,agree, or disagree with them.

It's a sad life you live, creating multiple usernames here because you know you'll be banned and are desperate to make obnoxious comments.

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2015, 15:32 »
+3

It's a sad life you live, creating multiple usernames here because you know you'll be banned and are desperate to make obnoxious comments.

You are apparently a bit confused thats why i wont take this "your life is so sad" remark personally.
Please do send a message to a mod or admin and ask him if i have ever changed my nickname or been banned or if i log with different nicknames.
And when you do i hope you are so decent as to apologise in public,although i doubt it from someone who takes words out of context to tell us how offended he/she feels by them.

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2015, 15:47 »
+2

http://learning.innerchildfun.com/2013/07/sandbox-social-skills.html

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2015, 16:13 »
+2
Odd, the chap joined in 2014 and you are accusing him of getting a ban and joining under a new name -  Date Registered: August 08, 2014

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2015, 16:33 »
+2
He gives himself away with his second-language English and his references to rape, "sl-uts," other derogatory words for women and general female-bashing. He tried to control himself for a bit as "gcrook" but couldn't help himself. A few minutes after being banned today, for at least the second time, he popped up again with a username he registered a while back.

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2015, 16:38 »
+3
He gives himself away with his second-language English and his references to rape, "sl-uts," other derogatory words for women and general female-bashing. He tried to control himself for a bit as "gcrook" but couldn't help himself. A few minutes after being banned today, for at least the second time, he popped up again with a username he registered a while back.
He's using his actual contributor name, you're confused.  Maybe it's time to move on from this distraction?

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2015, 16:42 »
+2

Are you serious right now?Do you honestly realize what you are accusing me of in public?
English is my second language,Greek is my native one,and it isnt even difficult to google search me on pond5 to see who i am or what i post.
Did i ever refer to women in any post here in a derogatory manner?Did i call anyone a slut?Whats wrong with you honestly,and where did this completely personal attack come from anyway?

I really hope this is a huge misunderstanding from your part,could you at least tell what was the username you are accusing me of being banned by?

Semmick Photo

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2015, 17:36 »
+4

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2015, 18:41 »
+3
"While the vast majority of our footage licensing business is in HD, we anticipate the 4K format will continue to gain traction and are continuing to make investments to market your content.
With that in mind, we are changing the price of a single 4K clip from $299 to $199. In addition, we will be launching 4K packs for the first time, which will allow customers who need multiple 4K clips to purchase in larger quantities in one transaction."

Lol, one of those things that makes no sense.  "Things are awesome and only going to grow, so, we're dropping prices!  Yeah!"  Silly.
I think gbalex nailed it on the head in another thread, both of those statements can be true if it's about taking market share.

Agree, they have openly admitted that they maintain low pricing to gain market share.

They completely ignore how this will affect the livelihoods of their contributors.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 18:49 by gbalex »

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2015, 18:53 »
+1
$199 wouldn't be bad, if the authors got 50 or 70% of the proceeds.
Remind me, how much are they getting now?
30%
Based on the last 10Q it would be 28%
They lowered it? Footage always paid 30% (at least, for cart sales).

They publicly state the the royalty is 30%, but when you look at the actual payout figures in the quarterly report the pay out to contributors is closer to 28%.

I will point it out next quarter, I don't feel like digging today.

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2015, 19:00 »
+2
"While the vast majority of our footage licensing business is in HD, we anticipate the 4K format will continue to gain traction and are continuing to make investments to market your content.
With that in mind, we are changing the price of a single 4K clip from $299 to $199. In addition, we will be launching 4K packs for the first time, which will allow customers who need multiple 4K clips to purchase in larger quantities in one transaction."

Lol, one of those things that makes no sense.  "Things are awesome and only going to grow, so, we're dropping prices!  Yeah!"  Silly.
I think gbalex nailed it on the head in another thread, both of those statements can be true if it's about taking market share.

Agree, they have openly admitted that they maintain low pricing to gain market share.

They completely ignore how this will affect the livelihoods of their contributors.

They completely ignore how this will affect the livelihoods of their contributors... Or is it the contributors completely ignore how this will affect their livelihoods? SS does not care how it affects your livelihood so they don't really need to ignore the fact.

"Silly" is submitting your work to sites that devalue your work to gain market share.

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2015, 19:01 »
http://www.microstockgroup.com/shutterstock-com/shutterstock-payout-$83-605-000-in-2014

Shutterstocks report yesterday of paying out $83,605,000 in royalties in 2014 raises a few interesting questions. While it is a lot of money it is only 25% of $328 million.  Shutterstock has said they paid out about 28% of revenue collected in three of the four quarters in 2014 and about 30% in the Q3 2014.

It turns out that the $83,605,000 only includes Shutterstock sales. It does not include Bigstock, Offset or Weddam. If the $83 million is really 28% of revenue total Shutterstock sales would be about $298 million, not $328 million, or a $30 million difference. About can mean a lot, but I think it is safe to say that the combined revenue of Bigstock, Offset and Webdam was in the range of $30 million. It might even be more if the average payout was above 28% (remember that 30% quarter).

Based on everything they have been saying, I think they are earning very little from Webdam so about $30 million is split between BigStock and Offset. Any guesses as to which generates the most?

I also understand from Shutterstock PR that royalty rates for Offset are higher than our norm, due to the unique content somewhat above 40% on average. Also, they say they havent broken out the royalty rates for Bigstock which indicates they might be lower than 28%.

Any thoughts?

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2015, 19:18 »
Shutterstock's (SSTK) CEO Jonathan Oringer on Q1 2015 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

Snip

Now shifting to the cost side of the business, total operating expenses were up 35% excluding stock-based compensation with the primary driver being higher contributor royalties associated with growing revenue. Contributor royalties represent approximately 28% of our revenue relatively consistent over many quarters.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3154256-shutterstocks-sstk-ceo-jonathan-oringer-on-q1-2015-results-earnings-call-transcript

KB

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2015, 23:49 »
+1
Shutterstock's (SSTK) CEO Jonathan Oringer on Q1 2015 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

Snip

Now shifting to the cost side of the business, total operating expenses were up 35% excluding stock-based compensation with the primary driver being higher contributor royalties associated with growing revenue. Contributor royalties represent approximately 28% of our revenue relatively consistent over many quarters.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3154256-shutterstocks-sstk-ceo-jonathan-oringer-on-q1-2015-results-earnings-call-transcript

But that's obviously a mix of all media types and sales types. Some are above 28%, some below, and it averages to 28%.

I forget whether they've said that footage sub sales get 30% of the price paid or not, but I know they definitely said that about footage cart sales. I don't believe they'd state that and not do it. At least, I certainly hope not.

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2015, 12:44 »

Snip

But that's obviously a mix of all media types and sales types. Some are above 28%, some below, and it averages to 28%.

I forget whether they've said that footage sub sales get 30% of the price paid or not, but I know they definitely said that about footage cart sales. I don't believe they'd state that and not do it. At least, I certainly hope not.

When they talk to contributors they tell us all of our media earns 30%.  When they talk to the investment community they report it at 28% with the exception of Offset which they say is roughly 40% and bigstock which they keep hidden.

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2015, 01:05 »
Well...while SS is actually pushing for 4K sales, the competitor P5 is just bragging about their huge collection without any plan how to monetize that.  :o 

"At Pond5, we've always strived to stay at the forefront of new technologies and trends in video production," said Pond5 cofounder and CEO Tom Bennett. "We've made sure that we offer the largest collection of 4K+ resolution video clips in the world, and as consumers and video producers grow to expect the highest quality video available, 4K will remain a top priority."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/biggest-stock-video-company-in-the-world-sees-growth-of-4k-video-surge-300106806.html

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2015, 17:47 »
+1
Well...while SS is actually pushing for 4K sales, the competitor P5 is just bragging about their huge collection without any plan how to monetize that.  :o 

There are 4K sales at Pond5, isn't that monetizing?  ???

Rinderart

« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2015, 13:18 »

What do they care. it's not there work.

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2015, 09:42 »
+1
Just got a 59.70 sale of a 4K clip although im not sure if this is the 4k commission or an HD sod/el or whatever.
Has anyone else got such a commission since the price change to verify this?