pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Sales dried up?  (Read 47615 times)

Johnski2015

« on: July 01, 2015, 12:48 »
+10
iS sales seem to have dried up all of a sudden over the last 2 weeks - anyone else the same?

Hongover

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 13:41 »
+1
I think it's down across the board because of the vacation season. Some people are already on vacation and my downloads are down about 30% for this week.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 14:01 by Hongover »

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 13:57 »
+1
In May I got -50% downloads comparing to March and only 1/3 of the revenue.

Looks like a death spiral, but there is the seasonal factor.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 14:06 »
+4
iS sales seem to have dried up
Get used to it

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 14:34 »
I just started on Istock not long ago so maybe it is the newbie bump or a matter of my portfolio growing more than anything...
but I have had more sales there recently than other sites. 

However, still have a long way to go until I upload my photos and have sales I feel ok about.  Not an easy adjustment from art photographer to stock photo photographer!

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 15:10 »
+2
iS sales seem to have dried up all of a sudden over the last 2 weeks - anyone else the same?

Not sure if you noticed or not, but when I click on the Istock icon your folio seems to be offline. That might have something to do with it.

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 15:11 »
+3
Get used to it

Do you even have a folio there?

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 17:10 »
+2
I have a portfolio there, so here are my June stats:
Compared to June 2014: dls -47%; $$ -27% (Thanks to only my second EL of the year. Even EL values seem to be shrinking).
Worst June since 2007, my sixth full month on iS.

For the first time ever, my Alamy $$ overtook iS (by less than a dollar), partly because of one highish value Alamy sale, and a higher than usual no of Alamy sales; but mostly because of iS constantly decreasing.
In particular, my portfolio after Sept 2012 seems to be almost invisible to credit buyers, but visible to sub buyers. I have no way to establish whether there is a different best match shown to sub buyers, but it's a thought.

Year on year, Jan - June is down 41% on last year. Subs and Google for June might raise that 2% or 3%.

The only possibly-positive thing was the mooted mirroring of exclusive editorial files on Getty (OTOH, we only get 20% for these), but after a quick move of about 3/4 of my editorial files, they've taken them all down (everybody's, not just mine) on a strange premise, and after three weeks, there's no sign of them being reinstated, or even if they're really intending to do so.

Semmick Photo

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 17:30 »
+4
Get used to it

I had a portfolio there, but  I am no deer staring in a couple of headlights. I got out to support the Getty/Google deal protests.

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 19:22 »
+3
Get used to it

I had a portfolio there, but  I am no deer staring in a couple of headlights. I got out to support the Getty/Google deal protests.

I figured as much. That said, your ultracrepidarian comments at times are self explanatory and have little if any substance or value attached.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 19:29 by Rose Tinted Glasses »

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 19:35 »
+1
I had a surprisingly good June across most sites.  Better than typical June by a long ways. 

Except for Istock where sales are slowly crawling to a stop.  Even the PP and subs were down,  no wonder Getty is making sketchy deals like Fivrr and suing Google.   They are on the way to go out of business.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 19:56 »
Slower for me everywhere. On Istock I was $75 down in May and am $50 more down in June compared to may. Big drop when $450 a month is your avg. i will be in the low $300s for june once pp is complete. I just dont worry too much anymore unless it is a sudden collapse somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 22:25 by Mantis »

Hongover

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 21:33 »
I'm off to a good start (SS) for the month of July.

I'm expecting low download numbers on Friday and the weekend though. The US will be too busy celebrating instead of working. I have a number of coworkers taking a 4 days weekend. Things should pick right back up after the 3 day weekend.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 21:38 by Hongover »

Johnski2015

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 08:58 »
+1
Get used to it

Yeah I just set the iS link up incorrectly.... still no sales though :(

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 11:37 »
+6
Sales on iStock are horrible, compared to last year. If this continues I will be down 25% compared to 2014. Huge drop.

I blame the horrible decisions of iStock management and the September 2014 changes.

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 15:53 »
+4
Get used to it

I figured as much. That said, your ultracrepidarian comments at times are self explanatory and have little if any substance or value attached.

"ultracrepidarian"!  Wow!!!

I like that word.

Personally, my June was pretty good, by current standards on IS - BMY for credit sales in fact, thanks to two ELs.  But one swallow doesn't make a summer, as they say - it'll take a few more good months before I feel there's any sort of improvement in the trend.

ShadySue

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 16:38 »
+3
Personally, my June was pretty good, by current standards on IS - BMY for credit sales in fact, thanks to two ELs.  But one swallow doesn't make a summer, as they say - it'll take a few more good months before I feel there's any sort of improvement in the trend.

Good to read that someone is at least stable.
BTW, your post in this thread, and the total thread, highlights the problem with iStock's management. No matter how stupid their decisions, they are always right.
If I were you, and no reply with a day or two, I'd deactivate and resubmit. This is totally insufferable: http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=365797&messageid=7108599

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 18:28 »

BTW, your post in this thread, and the total thread, highlights the problem with iStock's management. No matter how stupid their decisions, they are always right.
If I were you, and no reply with a day or two, I'd deactivate and resubmit. This is totally insufferable: http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=365797&messageid=7108599

Not stable. 

My June was comparatively good for credit sales, but the overall trend for me has been depressingly downwards for the last year.  Some months a little better than others, but looking over the 12 month period May 2014-June 2015 as compared to May 2013-June 2014 my total GI/iStock income (all streams) is down 25%.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:02 by Gannet77 »

KB

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 23:36 »
My June was down over 50% in DLs and earnings as compared with 2014 (credit sales only, obviously). It was my WME. So you know my answer to this question.

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 21:12 »
+2

Wow, that is... really quite special  :o

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 08:52 »

What the...? :D (I don't mean that as a reaction to your post, but to the weirdly retitled image in that thread)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:00 by Noedelhap »

KB

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 10:57 »
+2
What the...? :D (I don't mean that as a reaction to your post, but to the weirdly retitled image in that thread)
You mean this one:
Buttyfull garden in the midel of the deserts and the other

Obviously, Getty has hired experts who are adept at creating titles that will greatly increase that file's SEO rank. I don't see the problem.

::)

ShadySue

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 11:09 »
+4
You don't know that Scotland is full of buttyful deserts?
Oh, right, it's a typo - we're full of butties and desserts.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 18:31 by ShadySue »

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 11:15 »
Definitely Stopped, yes  :P

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 12:09 »
+4
I am not even showing a balance now. Nothing for July so far. This never happened in the 8 years I have been there. I have to say I don't put any effort in. It's not worth the effort or expense to shoot microstock anymore. June was very poor and I received no payment from Getty either.