pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: iStock - slow sales  (Read 32761 times)

« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2007, 19:05 »
After 5 months of diminishing sales at IS, it seems to be picking up again, and this month will be my SBME (Second-Best-Month-Ever  :)  ), if not the best. Another change, is that my new photos have suddenly started to sell, while a few weeks ago, hardly any photos newer than 3 months were selling.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to believe that this is a coincidence or a result of their endless tweaking of search engine parameters. I tend towards the latter at the moment and will keep my smile up for the time being at least   ;D

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2007, 22:03 »
Slow sales?
Hmmm, I guess not!  :-\

« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2007, 02:28 »
I ended up with 27 downloads yesterday.  I think that is my BEDD (Best ever downloads day).

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2007, 08:47 »
IS  sales keep increasing for me. My sales from sep to oct will increase roughly 20%. IS revenue are now more than double SS revenue. If it keeps going this way, I might become exclusive by the end of 2008.

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2007, 09:42 »
Slow sales?

Well, this has been my best month so far too. However, the last two weeks just haven't been that good. But other sites have taken up the slack, so it's okay.

« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2007, 09:51 »
IS  sales keep increasing for me. My sales from sep to oct will increase roughly 20%. IS revenue are now more than double SS revenue. If it keeps going this way, I might become exclusive by the end of 2008.

Same here!

RacePhoto

« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2007, 12:14 »

Exclusives commit a lot by being exclusive (to me the biggest thing is that once IS rejects your image you can't sell it anywhere else, which is important for me since 30% of my images would be a waste of time). So exclusives SHOULD be rewarded greatly. Honestly I don't think that IS appreciates them enough.

How does that work. If the photo is rejected, how can they still want to control the use. I'm not saying it's not true, I'm asking how they can demand that? They said, we don't want your photo, it's not good enough... but we don't want you to use it somewhere else.  >:(

Doesn't seem right.

« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2007, 12:24 »

How does that work. If the photo is rejected, how can they still want to control the use.

Read the small print of their Agreement for exclusives ...

Full artist exclusivity means no images may be sold on other Royalty-Free sites or businesses with the exception of Getty Images. Individual image exclusivity is not enough.

Doesn't seem right.

It isn't ... in my opinion.

It's one thing to demand exclusivity for individual images. That's perfectly legitimate. But to say you can't sell anything, even the ones we don't want, with another agency, is much too restrictive.

As far as I am aware, iStock is the only microstock agency that has such a condition.

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2007, 12:40 »
I think, they can still sell other types of licences...

But it doesn't seem right anyway...

How does that work. If the photo is rejected, how can they still want to control the use.

Read the small print of their Agreement for exclusives ...

Full artist exclusivity means no images may be sold on other Royalty-Free sites or businesses with the exception of Getty Images. Individual image exclusivity is not enough.

Doesn't seem right.

It isn't ... in my opinion.

It's one thing to demand exclusivity for individual images. That's perfectly legitimate. But to say you can't sell anything, even the ones we don't want, with another agency, is much too restrictive.

As far as I am aware, iStock is the only microstock agency that has such a condition.

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2007, 09:19 »
Slow sales?

Based on how many uploads? My stats looked really good the first six months, but unless you can keep uploading large quantities of images every month, you will hit a wall at some point

« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2007, 09:34 »
Based on how many uploads? My stats looked really good the first six months, but unless you can keep uploading large quantities of images every month, you will hit a wall at some point
34! And I didn't upload much the last 6 months!
I did hit that wall on Shutterstock already because of my low upload rate!
But Istock is doing better and better every month, I don't know why!
And Im not exclusive!

« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2007, 11:23 »
And Im not exclusive!

Do you have one VERY good seller? Can you give a link to your portfolio?
When you have a very small portfolio (34 images is very small) one good seller can drive your entire performance on iStock. I have 250 files (which is still a small portfolio) on iStock and even for me in October about 1/3 of my sales came from one image.

« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2007, 21:30 »
And Im not exclusive!

Sometimes, I have seen that my sales increase when I stop uploading at IS. That has happened on two or three occasions. It may be a coincidence, but you never know what is hidden in their complicated search engine.

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2007, 09:23 »
34 images! Either you have an image that is selling like crazy, or that chart while it looks impressive, is misleading.

For me, uploads to IS start off real so, but seem to stay steady over the months. With Shutterstock, things take off right away, and quickly trail off.

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2007, 09:59 »
Yeah I have good seller.
Christmas related I guess!

« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2007, 10:10 »
Yeah I have good seller.
Christmas related I guess!

WOW! 34 files and over 3000 sales!!!

That is impressive! I wonder why don't you produce more files, you could be making a lot of money on iStock. But I have to say that your success is heavily offset but that superseller.

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2007, 10:42 »
Nice work Gregor.  Very, very nice work. 

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2007, 11:54 »
Thank you guys!  :)

I wonder why don't you produce more files
I have ADD  :-[

« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2007, 12:12 »
OK, you do illustration versus just photography. Illustrators can make far more money on fewer images and you do have two images that are more than 2/3 of your downloads...

« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2007, 14:15 »
Awesome indeed. "CO2 reduction" is very creative. Congrats, Gregor!!

Regards,
Adelaide

« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2007, 09:28 »
Thanks  :)

« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2007, 20:52 »
Istock just overtook SS for me in terms of this months earning as the number one site.. never thought this would happen to be honest...

« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2007, 08:52 »
Something strange is happening. After 5 months of sinking sales, I suddenly have BME at IS (twice the sales of last month with two days left),  and my first EL there as well. SS on the other hand, has hit bottom like a rock this week, after very steady sales all October.

« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2007, 09:31 »
Something strange is happening. After 5 months of sinking sales, I suddenly have BME at IS (twice the sales of last month with two days left),  and my first EL there as well. SS on the other hand, has hit bottom like a rock this week, after very steady sales all October.

I too have noticed a definite upswing at IS this month resulting in a BME.  Sure is a welcome change!!

« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2007, 10:29 »
Not me... but that's partly my fault for taking a hiatus for about six months from my stock portfolios. I uploaded dozens of new images in September and sales won't kick in for a few more weeks. I'm hoping for BME in a month or two...