pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Has anyone tried Photoshelter  (Read 36641 times)

« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2008, 06:02 »
I know resized photos are not different, but if you take two shots from the same shooting for me they are not always the same.

If i take the best one to RM and keep it at 10mpx + and take the otherone to microstock and resize it to 4mpx i gain many in many ways.

1. Customer gets what he pays for, if you pay more you get the best.
2. Shorter upload/download time for customers that don't want/need fullsized pictures.
3. I gain additional sales/customers from a shootings that otherwise was "off" or out of reach for small to medium sized company's.
4. Microstock agencies get very god quality for attracting new customers.  
5. Midstock and the REAL BIG 6 can still be around (for me thats important, as i aspire to make a living from photo)

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2008, 06:04 »
here is a good info website written by jupiter images about Royalty Free and Rights Managed licenses and how they differ

http://www.stockphotography.com/faq/CompareGuide/Pricing.html

be sure to click on the next on the bottom to read the whole article.

and yes I got back to my original belief and agree with GRP photo, that you CANNOT license one image in two different ways RF and RM

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2008, 06:22 »
A very god link Leaf, Thanks!

And about the two pics that are i my previous post, they are what i call different, showing the same place, but for me they are of different quality and value.

The first one is for mee, more artistic and stronger. Ok, it has a limited "web" usability, but could bee great for a branding race for large prints and outdoor marketing.

The second one is more "traditional", not a snapshot but more common and could bee used in more different ways.

I do belive they should not cost the same, and defenetly not 1 dollar for indefinite use. 

Ill do this kind of giveaways only once to get accepted into the agencys then i will surely downsize and separet them for the different kind of use.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 06:23 by windmill »

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2008, 06:52 »
well i disagree with you on a number of point seren, so I will start with this one.

Sorry Leaf, I mistook what you were saying.

But initially RF was sold at a higher price than RM.  Certainly in the UK market, which is what I have experience of.

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2008, 06:53 »
My problem with RM is that the images really need to be exclusive to the agency in order for them to be truly managed.

What is to prevent one company from licensing an RM image on one site (e.g., Alamy) and another company from licensing  the same RM image on another site (e.g., MyLoupe) for the same terms?

For example, what is to prevent a hospital from licensing an RM image of a teenager for an ad on healthy living from one agency, while a non-profit organization licenses the same RM image for an ad on AIDS?

Do the RM agencies require exclusivity?  If not, then how can they truly manage the images?

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2008, 06:59 »
My problem with RM is that the images really need to be exclusive to the agency in order for them to be truly managed.

What is to prevent one company from licensing an RM image on one site (e.g., Alamy) and another company from licensing  the same RM image on another site (e.g., MyLoupe) for the same terms?

For example, what is to prevent a hospital from licensing an RM image of a teenager for an ad on healthy living from one agency, while a non-profit organization licenses the same RM image for an ad on AIDS?

Do the RM agencies require exclusivity?  If not, then how can they truly manage the images?

well lots of sites do require exclusivity, but the ones that don't will then have to ask you if it is possible to get an exclusive license for a certain area / usage.

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2008, 07:03 »

well lots of sites do require exclusivity, but the ones that don't will then have to ask you if it is possible to get an exclusive license for a certain area / usage.

I don't follow.  How would asking the artist do anything?  If the artist submits their images to sites, then they have lost control of the usage of their images (because the sites have usage control as well).

Do Alamy or MyLoupe require exclusivity?

« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2008, 07:12 »
no they don't but when an image is licensed as RM you get info on how it was used.

If a customer wants to purchase an exclusive license of your image through Alamy, Alamy will email you and ask if you are able to give that exclusivity.