pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: GL resume uploads?  (Read 7942 times)

« on: July 14, 2015, 08:20 »
+3
06/30/2015

Hello everyone!

I know it has been a long time since you heard from us and we are apologize for the long gap of silence. We have been busy making improvements to GL which includes making the site responsive for mobile use, design upgrades and improvements to the backend as well.

We will be rolling out the new site within the next two weeks and then soon thereafter we will begin to accept submissions. Yay!

We look forward to seeing your new work and we appreciate your patience during the down time. Have a great summer!

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 08:23 »
+1
Thank you for the update.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:12 »
Thanks, just logged in to see that same message in my GL account.
Got some backlog to upload to them....

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 10:23 »
+2
I am glad to hear that they are still going, although I'd also be glad to hear about some sales there. Hopefully this ends the flatlining my account there has been doing. For a while they were doing ok, and they seemed to like some photos that I liked that other sites didn't always.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 10:32 »
+1
I am glad to hear that they are still going, although I'd also be glad to hear about some sales there. Hopefully this ends the flatlining my account there has been doing. For a while they were doing ok, and they seemed to like some photos that I liked that other sites didn't always.

Agree.  I always liked them as a site.  Good news that they are  rebounding from the slump.

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 11:37 »
I do get a sale there every once in a great while.   I give them credit for recognizing the heart of the problem:  there has to be some relationship between the number of actual buyers and the supply of images, so that it's possible for an individual contributor to make some money.   There is no simple answer to this, but just mindlessly taking in more millions of photos doesn't work.   

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 11:49 »
+1
I do get a sale there every once in a great while.   I give them credit for recognizing the heart of the problem:  there has to be some relationship between the number of actual buyers and the supply of images, so that it's possible for an individual contributor to make some money.   There is no simple answer to this, but just mindlessly taking in more millions of photos doesn't work.

True, but when they again accept uploads we all will probably just upload those files that are backlogged for that site.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 12:09 »
Just had a sale from GL :)

De

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 13:09 »
One of the very few contributor friendly sites left. I always told myself this will be the last agency I will quit in microstock even if I'm only making a buck there.
These guys should have been at least at the very top of the middle Tier but somehow people managed to dismiss the agency with the best contributor conditions and push those who have the worst, happened before my time though.
Just imagine all the sales you ever got from every agency but at 50/50 split! That's a good chunk of additional money, for some even another half-time or full-time income.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 13:28 by DesE »

objowl

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 16:19 »
+3
They chose the wrong name and left it late when they changed it.   Graphic Leftovers leaves a lot to be desired, the big agencies thrived on Empty You Hard Drive Stock in the early days, but avoided using it as a name.

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 17:42 »
+6
A lot of us did support them as much as we could but they decided to stop accepting new images.  They could easily of had a 20 images a week upload limit and that would of made it better for buyers and contributors.  Now I am more wary of them because not accepting new images for such a long time makes absolutely no sense to me.

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 01:41 »
+7
As much as I liked them and wanted them to to succeed, my logic tell me the chances of them surviving is very slim. Any agency that today operate on a shoestring budget is likely to fail in this competitive industry. Honestly, what can they offer a buyer? Why would serious buyers skip the other big agencies that offer a vast selection of images at very competitive prices and buy from GL?

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 04:09 »
+1
Good people and I've always had enough sales to continue uploading to them. Best of luck to them.

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 12:28 »
+2
As much as I liked them and wanted them to to succeed, my logic tell me the chances of them surviving is very slim. Any agency that today operate on a shoestring budget is likely to fail in this competitive industry. Honestly, what can they offer a buyer? Why would serious buyers skip the other big agencies that offer a vast selection of images at very competitive prices and buy from GL?

agree. it's like canstock ; is it canstock the one shoestring agency in halifax canada that was well supported by many of us in the heydays of proper agencies???  as much as you like to support them, the other one owned by elena (???) was also another one we supported. but with little budget and not enough exposure it is difficult to want to upload there even if you liked the people in charge.

it\s  much like the war. you cannot just go to battle because you like the leaders; you have to know you will not come back in a bodybag (ie. a couple of dollars a month, or even a year).
this is not to say we gave them LCV stuff. the same stuff sold with is and ss and fotolia, before the first and last scr*wed up. and now ss is not even an option any more.

not unless you are some newbie who go to the forum to announce their OD sales of a few pennies and woo hey because in their country a couple of US buck buys alot more  8)

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 13:32 »
A lot of us did support them as much as we could but they decided to stop accepting new images.  They could easily of had a 20 images a week upload limit and that would of made it better for buyers and contributors.  Now I am more wary of them because not accepting new images for such a long time makes absolutely no sense to me.

I think acceptance of millions of images from any agency is the real killer to this industry. More images just devalues the collection as a whole to the individual contributor. Great for buyers tho...

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 16:49 »
^^^ If only sites could make us lots of money without buyers  :)

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 17:39 »
+3
I like their site and uploading system. However, I think the decision to suspend uploading was crazy. It took them more than 8 months to come up with some new upgrades (woopdidoo), and in the meantime their image library has stayed behind on those of other agencies. They're going to have a hard time getting back those buyers and traffic. Plus the fact that they're going to get flooded with a huge amount of new images, so the backlog will be enormous.

I did have a few sales this year but I don't expect them to make a huge comeback.

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 18:42 »
+2
If they just open the floodgates again, they'll end up just like all the others.  I'm hoping for a new and different plan. 

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 03:57 »
Looks like they've opened up again. FTP not working yet, but the site uploader does.

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 07:21 »
Now it looks like they are down completely, not just for uploads

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 10:00 »
Site is back and they already approved all my uploads from yesterday.

Tryingmybest

• Stand up for what is right
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 20:27 »

Slow but regular sales for me. Not much. But it is something.

PZF

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 05:29 »
I too was pleased to see them back but....
is there a way to set a default of selling:
Standard and Merchandise but NOT ultimate (whatever Ultimate might be but it doesn't sound good?)? Or do I need to go into every photo to change this.

Also, is there a way to scroll through all photos uploaded in a batch IN ORDER to check that no titles etc are cut? The system seems to just produce random ones, and I see no option for 'next photo'?
Ta for any responses....