MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Fotolia takes Description field if Title field is blank in your IPTC data  (Read 6701 times)

wds

« on: July 22, 2015, 16:26 »
I am frustrated by the fact that on upload, Fotolia uses the Title field rather than the Description field if your file has IPTC data. Today I accidentally discovered that if the Title field in your file is blank, than Fotolia in fact uses the Description field from the file!

Now to figure out the least painful way to make use of this fact!

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 04:46 »
+2
This is true horror. What are you going to do about it?

wds

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:26 »
No, I'm not complaining, this is a good thing. If I want to use the description field from my IPTC data, I just need to upload a version where the Title field is blanked out and Fotolia will use the the Description field as the source of the data  :)

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 12:05 »
I am frustrated by the fact that on upload, Fotolia uses the Title field rather than the Description field if your file has IPTC data. Today I accidentally discovered that if the Title field in your file is blank, than Fotolia in fact uses the Description field from the file!

Now to figure out the least painful way to make use of this fact!

Thank you for telling us. I might give it shot. Now, does anyone know if Fotolia has a length/character limit on image titles? My image descriptions are usually fairly long...

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 01:46 »
Thanks for finding out this tip, but I'm certainly not going to prepare a separate set of images with blank title fields just for Fotolia. With my sales it's not worth the effort, they get what everybody else gets.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 06:45 »
I've noticed this too...

FT only has 2 fields "keywords" and "description most places have: title, description, keywords

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 11:24 »
Thank you wds. I didn't know about this trick.

http://www.microstockgroup.com/fotolia-com/expanded-titledescription-for-fotolia-submissions/

SS uses the description as alt text.
DT uses the title as alt text and the description (partially) in the URL
123 uses the description in both alt text and URL.

FT uses the title as alt text (which is usually short) and no words, just numbers in the URL. That must be the reason that FT recently expanded the title length to 200 characters, so we can provide more info about the image.

This is true horror. What are you going to do about it?

The problem is that we have to edit the title of our images differently just for FT if we want them to be found.

Alt text and URL are the search engines' eyes, that's how they determine the content of the image, as you well know.