pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: to late for start at microstocking?  (Read 26624 times)

« on: July 27, 2015, 07:52 »
ive heard so often here now, how someones have just 400 online images and over 200 sales.

ive nearly got 1000 in one agency and have only 30.

i got in begin of the year 2014.

is it just gonna bad for late starter or depends this to strong in the images?
i make much nature images.

is it worth it ?

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 08:32 »
+4
It depends on your expectations. If you want to make some pocket money, sure. If you want to feed your family it is not.

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 08:38 »
+5
I dont think it's ever too late as long as you know what to expect and are happy with that. There are a few things to consider.

Supply probably heavily outweighs demand for general nature images so I wouldn't expect a lot of sales for this type of work unless it's very unique.

The current trend for contributor earnings seems to be down for most people.

Everyone eventually hits the wall where no matter how many images you create your income doesn't keep pace or even drops.

So your options are to create a high volume of images, increase saleability of your images, or both.

So I think the "is it worth it" question really goes back to you. Based on your current sales is it worth it to you? If not, can you increase your image quantity or quality to make enough sales to where it becomes worth it?

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:43 »
+2
It depends on your expectations. If you want to make some pocket money, sure. If you want to feed your family it is not.

+1  I would add that if you are super talented, good at differentiation, can create volume and commercial themes, you may have more success than pocket money, maybe.  Micro stock isn't what it used to be 10 years ago (I've been in almost 9 years) and my port is very vanilla. Even though I have added a lot of new content in the last two years and also am now adding video, my monthly revenue is the same as it was 4 years ago. Why? Competition and commission cuts by the agencies. I am working hard just to "maintain".  There are a lot of good people in this forum who will probably post similar comments as me and Microstockphoto. Just know that for most new contributors who are submitting basic work (travel pics, shots around town, etc.), you are in all likelihood talking pocket money. Step up your game and you can do better.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:11 by Mantis »

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 08:46 »
+8

Your "nature" images come across as very bland, and there is nothing really making them stand out.  The lighting on your non-nature images needs work - grey background, incorrect white balance, etc.  You're going to have to speed up your learning if you're expecting a different result.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:37 »
+3
Your problem is that iStockphoto has virtually no barriers to images being accepted nowadays other than IP issues.
Much of your port would not have been accepted there before about eighteen months ago or so.
Why they are ingesting huge numbers of unsellable files is a mystery. They may have an evil plan (I have some guesses, but it's always worse than I imagine), or maybe no clue at all.
But the bottom line is that their much higher acceptance standards in the old days meant that you quickly improved or gave up.
Plus the issue that most things uploaded in the past two years or more are only sell as PP or Subs, very seldom as proper credit sales, means that iS is not a great place for a newbie to learn or earn.

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 11:48 »
+2
Your problem is that iStockphoto has virtually no barriers to images being accepted nowadays other than IP issues.
Much of your port would not have been accepted there before about eighteen months ago or so.
Why they are ingesting huge numbers of unsellable files is a mystery. They may have an evil plan (I have some guesses, but it's always worse than I imagine), or maybe no clue at all.
But the bottom line is that their much higher acceptance standards in the old days meant that you quickly improved or gave up.
Plus the issue that most things uploaded in the past two years or more are only sell as PP or Subs, very seldom as proper credit sales, means that iS is not a great place for a newbie to learn or earn.

You could say the same for the microstock industry in general. Never once an editor to reject an image based on real composition or lighting.

As for the original post, if I was an editor my advice would be very similar to Sean's posted above. You might want to polish up on your skills quite a bit. I would also not have accepted you into my agency.

Sorry to be so direct but your work does not stand out at all. That said, don't give up, keep going as it does come together at one point. We have all been there.

Hongover

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 11:58 »
+3
It's never too late to get into anything.

I got in early 2015 and I think I'm doing better than most contributors.

Your portfolio does have some sellable images and I think you'll perform better on SS. You do have a lot of competition for those type of images though, so you may want to explore some more unique subject matter.

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 12:27 »
+3

This is almost word for word what I was gonna say.  Perfectly summed up.

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 12:40 »
+1

If your work is of similar quality this is true. Some of us actually feed our family and have paid of the mortgage from one microstock site alone.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 12:49 »
+2

If your work is of similar quality this is true. Some of us actually feed our family and have paid of the mortgage from one microstock site alone.

I pay bills and feed family from microstock too tho it was NOT my expectation, but lucky surprise to do so well.   But when I started it was easier to do.  Now days just starting out is much harder and much mor competition.

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 13:04 »
+3

I pay bills and feed family from microstock too tho it was NOT my expectation, but lucky surprise to do so well.   But when I started it was easier to do.  Now days just starting out is much harder and much mor competition.

It has always been difficult to do, and I think the competition today is easy. I think the competition was more before microstock, much more. You had editors back then and you really had to be in the game to make it, and your competition was people who had their game on, full on. You really were always competing with the best, and the only way to join their ranks was to have your own game on. In many ways it was the ultimate goal to know you had made it. A bit different from answering 10 brainless questions and submitting 3 images to gain "acceptance". If my cat could push a shutter with the camera set on Auto, she too could be a stock photographer.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 13:14 »
+5

It has always been difficult to do, and I think the competition today is easy. I think the competition was more before microstock, much more. You had editors back then and you really had to be in the game to make it, and your competition was people who had their game on, full on. You really were always competing with the best, and the only way to join their ranks was to have your own game on. In many ways it was the ultimate goal to know you had made it. A bit different from answering 10 brainless questions and submitting 3 images to gain "acceptance". If my cat could push a shutter with the camera set on Auto, she too could be a stock photographer.
Hundreds of years ago, only the very strong could work on the docks, unloading ships. Thank God we have cranes and forklifts these days.

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 13:52 »

Hundreds of years ago, only the very strong could work on the docks, unloading ships. Thank God we have cranes and forklifts these days.

Thank you so kindly for your history lesson in the past ways of a stevedore. It is slightly off topic however. If you have anything on topic and interesting to add that would be somewhat refreshing.

Oh wait, I can see it already... the reply will be along the lines of how shoes were made hundreds of years ago.

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 14:51 »
+5

Thank you so kindly for your history lesson in the past ways of a stevedore. It is slightly off topic however. If you have anything on topic and interesting to add that would be somewhat refreshing.

Oh wait, I can see it already... the reply will be along the lines of how shoes were made hundreds of years ago.

Ohh... it is so on topic! And you know it :)

What is NOT refreshing is seeing nostalgic post like yours, longing for the good ol' days when photography was only for the chosen ones.
What is NOT refreshing is to read, every day, all these apocalyptic comments made by a handful of frustrated old timers, incapable of accepting the new reality.

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 15:02 »
+2

Ohh... it is so on topic! And you know it :)

What is NOT refreshing is seeing nostalgic post like yours, longing for the good ol' days when photography was only for the chosen ones.
What is NOT refreshing is to read, every day, all these apocalyptic comments made by a handful of frustrated old timers, incapable of accepting the new reality.

Speculative to say the least. I am one of the chosen ones cause I succeeded based on merit. You have no idea how wonderful it is to be an old timer in this new reality, I can double dip, and I do. I make a full time go of it on micorstock and I also make a full time go of it with the big boys. It's actually very entertaining to hear little kids who think they know it all and take the piss out of us old timers at every chance they get and yet they are struggling to make it all work out. You are funny. Granted, if you had the skill you would most likely be doing the same thing. Most successful photographers that I know do as it's a no brainer. Nothing stopping you is there?

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 15:07 »
+1
well, I got into most agencies in 2013,even though i have been around stock for 10 years. I think it is still possible, maybe harder than 10 years ago but also more options. Nearly everything can sell if you find it the right environment.

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 15:16 »
+1
well, I got into most agencies in 2013,even though i have been around stock for 10 years. I think it is still possible, maybe harder than 10 years ago but also more options. Nearly everything can sell if you find it the right environment.

I think so. If you have the talent you can get into most large agencies based on merit. But you already know this and have applied it. Good on you!!!

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 15:18 »
+2
as Paulie says it is not too late.
the reality is also that microstock is like your all you can eat for $10 dining hall.
at the beginning you will think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread
and get 400 dl per month.
eventually, the sliced spare ribs sweet and sour chicken balls will all be scooped away
with the all you can eat.
and you will be left with nothing.

microstock is just that. how long you can stay in before they wipe your plate clean
depends on how many images you have in your port.

the killer to all long term stock photography is that no one is in it for long term.
they only care for themselves and once they get fat with your money
they will scr*w you and sell their business.

the smart one will run away before that happens

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 17:48 »
+4
Speculative to say the least. I am one of the chosen ones cause I succeeded based on merit. You have no idea how wonderful it is to be an old timer in this new reality, I can double dip, and I do. I make a full time go of it on micorstock and I also make a full time go of it with the big boys. It's actually very entertaining to hear little kids who think they know it all and take the piss out of us old timers at every chance they get and yet they are struggling to make it all work out. You are funny. Granted, if you had the skill you would most likely be doing the same thing. Most successful photographers that I know do as it's a no brainer. Nothing stopping you is there?

Ha, ha, I love my regular job and I have no intention to become a full time photographer. I know for sure that I will never be close to make what I normally make, from photography only.
What I find interesting is that, what I get from a weekend hobby seriously competes with what some "old timers" complain about, around here. Still, I would never brag that I have "the skills", since I know that there is always something new to learn, no matter how advanced you believe you are ;)

Mark my words: those "funny little kids", as you condescendingly call us, will eat an ever bigger slice of your pie. And there is nothing you can do about it!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 19:34 by Zero Talent »

Rose Tinted Glasses

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 18:13 »
+2

Ha, ha, I love my regular job and I have no intention to become a full time photographer. I know for sure that I will never be close to make what I normally make, from photography only.
What I find interesting is that, what I get from a weekend hobby seriously competes with what some "old timers" complain about, around here. Still, I would never brag that I have "the skills", since I know that there is always something new to learn, no matter how advanced you believe you are ;)

Mark my words: those "funny little kids", as you condescendingly call us, will eat an ever bigger slice of you pie. And there is nothing you can do about it!

For a hobbyist you sure seem to know it all about stock photography and dedicate a fair amount of time giving comment about it, now I understand where your are coming from. But have no fear, you future is safe, I have no intention of having a regular job for my hobby. I also don't worry about other photographers dipping into my slice of the pie, competition is nothing new in the world of stock.

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 19:18 »
+2

Mark my words: those "funny little kids", as you condescendingly call us, will eat an ever bigger slice of you pie. And there is nothing you can do about it!

For a hobbyist you sure seem to know it all about stock photography and dedicate a fair amount of time giving comment about it, now I understand where your are coming from. But have no fear, you future is safe, I have no intention of having a regular job for my hobby. I also don't worry about other photographers dipping into my slice of the pie, competition is nothing new in the world of stock.
Perfect!

Now you sound optimistic and confident.

That's refreshing!

Which means that all that darkness and nostalgia are just for show.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 01:28 »
+7
Try creating images, not just capturing whatever you stumble across.  Be the director.  Plan more.   Put some more thought into "why someone might need this" or "how someone could use this".  If it's too specific, keep moving along. 

Stumbling across random crap is lucrative for stock, only if you have the right eye for it.  Right now, what I'm seeing is a portfolio of what everyone's mom with an iphone shoots.  Keep trying to throw some more ideas at the wall, something is bound to stick... and maybe then you will have found your style or niche.  Best wishes

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 09:06 »
ive heard so often here now, how someones have just 400 online images and over 200 sales.

i got in begin of the year 2014.

is it worth it ?

Well...It depends on what you're trying to gopher. It's best to gopher realistic expectations. Aim low and you will always succeed. Keep digging down and don't look up. That seems to be the strategy these microstock sites employ.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:21 by PROStalkFatagopher »

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 14:48 »
+1
Try creating images, not just capturing whatever you stumble across.  Be the director.  Plan more.   Put some more thought into "why someone might need this" or "how someone could use this".  If it's too specific, keep moving along. 

Stumbling across random crap is lucrative for stock, only if you have the right eye for it.  Right now, what I'm seeing is a portfolio of what everyone's mom with an iphone shoots.  Keep trying to throw some more ideas at the wall, something is bound to stick... and maybe then you will have found your style or niche.  Best wishes

Best advice I read here in a long time!