MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: to late for start at microstocking?  (Read 26397 times)

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 15:37 »
+7
Stumbling across random crap is the story of my life! Actually I've had some good sellers like that  :o

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 04:27 »
+13
ZeroTalent and RoseTintedGlasses, for two oldtimers you sure act like two bickering kids. Stop destroying this thread with your personal war or go elsewhere.

Ontopic:
I think it's not too late to start in microstock, but the returns will be less than a couple of years ago. It simply takes more work and more talent than it did then to make a nice income. It also depends on your expectations and goals.
I joined around 2009-2010, and I sometimes wish I had started in 2005. But I'm doing okay now, even though it's still 'something on the side'.

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 05:22 »
+2
Stumbling across random crap is the story of my life! Actually I've had some good sellers like that  :o
I definitely have some snaps that gave me very good returns, but a planned shoot has better chances of getting winners.

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 06:05 »
+1
I definitely have some snaps that gave me very good returns, but a planned shoot has better chances of getting winners.

Yep I agree though I've often taken unplanned pics on a planned shoot with success - flexibility is a useful skill I think.

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 15:46 »

Yep I agree though I've often taken unplanned pics on a planned shoot with success - flexibility is a useful skill I think.

For sure!  Some of my best pics were ideas of me or the models that we did not plan for the shoot.  Gotta leave room for inspiration on the spot.

madman

This user is banned.
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 10:28 »
+2
It depends on your expectations. If you want to make some pocket money, sure. If you want to feed your family it is not.

Absolutely I agree, microstock selling doesnt bring more money anymore, I've heard so many people recently...

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 19:07 »
+6
the key to it is keep your cost down close to zero. then what you make from microstock will be money to pay for your equipment , service charges for ISP ...
you can consider it as opposed to just making pictures that will sit at home collecting dust anyway.
if that is the case, then it is not too late for microstock.

just don't give up your office job like some of the vets here 10 years ago. it will be a cold day in hell
for anyone entering microstock to replace that income.
even ss, as they keep flipping the switch as soon as you reach payout or 38 cents. that never happened before. ss used to be upright and transparent. today, not  8)

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2015, 00:07 »
+3
It's a good place to learn / improve new skills, but not for the $. They are just a bonus  :)

Tryingmybest

• Stand up for what is right
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 10:02 »
+1
It's never too late, my friend. You've got skills, ambition and life. Just keep your mind open to new ideas and techniques. You will experience more sales if you shoot more pix of people (especially so-called minorities and underrepresented types of people). Keep up your artistic education. Reinvest your money and upload consistently.

Peace

ive heard so often here now, how someones have just 400 online images and over 200 sales.

ive nearly got 1000 in one agency and have only 30.

i got in begin of the year 2014.

is it just gonna bad for late starter or depends this to strong in the images?
i make much nature images.

is it worth it ?

ACS

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 10:41 »
+5
It will just take longer. Your new images need to be better placed in the search and this will take some time. Some of my 7 years old images are still being sold better than my new (and technically better) images in the same subjects. Search place is everthing and in the past it was easier to find a foothold with less crowd.

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2015, 16:24 »
+3
I wouldn't see it as viable way to make a living but, as a pure hobbyist, I could just build up files on my hard drive OR find an audience for the stuff I produce and make a few bucks in the process.  Micro provides this. 

Edit typo..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 17:16 by heywoody »

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2015, 17:07 »
+8
I wouldn't see it as viable way to make a living but, as a pure hobbyist, I could just build up just on my hard drive OR find an audience for the stuff I produce and make a few bucks in the process.  Micro provides this.

I still go back to the "is it worth it to you" question. Even with stuff laying on your hard drive you still need to select, edit, add IPTC data, submit, get rejections, resubmit, and then actually make a sale. If you have two people working 40 hours a month one may make enough to buy a cup of coffee while the other can make a house payment. If I was the cup of coffee person no way would it be worth it regardless of how much of a hobby it was. If it covered my mortgage it would be absolutely worth it. I just wonder what percentage of micro people are coffee vs mortgage for that 40 hour a month scenario.

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2015, 18:20 »
+3
I still go back to the "is it worth it to you" question. Even with stuff laying on your hard drive you still need to select, edit, add IPTC data, submit, get rejections, resubmit, and then actually make a sale. If you have two people working 40 hours a month one may make enough to buy a cup of coffee while the other can make a house payment. If I was the cup of coffee person no way would it be worth it regardless of how much of a hobby it was. If it covered my mortgage it would be absolutely worth it. I just wonder what percentage of micro people are coffee vs mortgage for that 40 hour a month scenario.

+10 Paulie. i still remember lisafx always saying things like good thing my hubby has a fulltime job so i can do microstock.  we don't know if she is still doing it as i hear she left us a long time ago due to her standing up against some nasty character assasin .  shame because i like to know what lisafx thinks of micro today

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2015, 18:51 »
10 images sold on ss with id 290xxxxxx, 5 with 300xxxxxx today, if  i erase my old im still on 15 sold images

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2015, 00:26 »
+2

+10 Paulie. i still remember lisafx always saying things like good thing my hubby has a fulltime job so i can do microstock.  we don't know if she is still doing it as i hear she left us a long time ago due to her standing up against some nasty character assasin .  shame because i like to know what lisafx thinks of micro today

As I recall it was treatment over her decisions in regard to DPC. She was treated in a less than respectful way in this thread & PM. I was really sorry to see her go.

http://www.microstockgroup.com/fotolia-com/fotolia-d-day-%28deactivation-day%29-may-1/msg379076/#msg379076

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2015, 14:56 »
Its much harder to earn money than before , but its never late. Demand for digital medium is growing and expanding day by day. Even in next 10 years i think that microstock have future (slightly different but that is another subject)

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2015, 15:03 »
+2

As I recall it was treatment over her decisions in regard to DPC. She was treated in a less than respectful way in this thread & PM. I was really sorry to see her go.

http://www.microstockgroup.com/fotolia-com/fotolia-d-day-%28deactivation-day%29-may-1/msg379076/#msg379076

hmm, really???
off topic i know, but , i would like to see lisafx back here and her participation was always beneficial to msg-ers.
otoh, i can think of at least 3 ppl still around who should have been taken out instead of lisafx
and in terms of constructive comments provided us by lisafx, i think at least 50% of the comments
made these days are either just coming in to be sarcastic with no useful comments (eg ...ok???)
 totally redundant compared to what lisafx gave us.

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2015, 18:38 »
+4
I'll add my voice to the chorus... Lisa was one of the greats.  A person of great class.

But my take on the original question... Is it too late to start in microstocking?

If I tried starting today, I'd be earning a tiny fraction of what I started earning many years ago.  I think if I saw such a tiny stream of pennies coming in from my first uploads, I would do the math and decide it was a waste of time.

Maybe some people will see the pennies come in and decide they can double those pennies by doubling their port size.  That will work for a little while.  But they'll soon hit the wall -- when their rate of portfolio growth can't keep up with the 40+% rate of agency library growth, and those pennies will start trickling away, no matter how much harder they work to keep them.

So, yes, I think it's too late to start if you want to make any decent money.  The question for me now is, when is it too late for me to continue hitting my head against the wall to turn my revenue slide around.  I just can't shoot and upload enough to make this worthwhile any more.

Hongover

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2015, 23:26 »
+2
I'll add my voice to the chorus... Lisa was one of the greats.  A person of great class.

But my take on the original question... Is it too late to start in microstocking?

If I tried starting today, I'd be earning a tiny fraction of what I started earning many years ago.  I think if I saw such a tiny stream of pennies coming in from my first uploads, I would do the math and decide it was a waste of time.

Maybe some people will see the pennies come in and decide they can double those pennies by doubling their port size.  That will work for a little while.  But they'll soon hit the wall -- when their rate of portfolio growth can't keep up with the 40+% rate of agency library growth, and those pennies will start trickling away, no matter how much harder they work to keep them.

So, yes, I think it's too late to start if you want to make any decent money.  The question for me now is, when is it too late for me to continue hitting my head against the wall to turn my revenue slide around.  I just can't shoot and upload enough to make this worthwhile any more.

What is decent money? $50/mo? $200/mo? $500/mo? $1000/mo? The last one is a huge challenge for anyone, but $500/mo is very attainable with the right portfolio.

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2015, 00:13 »
+4

What is decent money? $50/mo? $200/mo? $500/mo? $1000/mo? The last one is a huge challenge for anyone, but $500/mo is very attainable with the right portfolio.

Which is exactly why so many people have said if your expectations are to pay for your gear and have some pocket money, it's not too late, but if you want to quit your day job and support yourself, then yes, it is too late.

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2015, 03:29 »
+2

Which is exactly why so many people have said if your expectations are to pay for your gear and have some pocket money, it's not too late, but if you want to quit your day job and support yourself, then yes, it is too late.

Depends on where you live. With U$ 1000/month I can travel endlessly in the countries I like the most.
If you live in US/Northern Europe/Australia/Japan micro is a complete waste of time now.

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2015, 03:36 »
+1

Depends on where you live. With U$ 1000/month I can travel endlessly in the countries I like the most.
If you live in US/Northern Europe/Australia/Japan micro is a complete waste of time now.

I agree with Nikovsk ;)

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2015, 11:40 »
+7
Answering to your initial question: Yes, it is too late.

There are hundred of commercial activities where your work will be better rewarded, without any doubt.

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2015, 22:32 »
+8
+1.
To  rephrase it:
1. It is not too late to sell some of your images. A decent picture will sell sooner or later. (Most likely, later).
2. It is definitely too late to earn good money with it. The same effort and money invested  in another endeavor would likely earn more money.

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2015, 02:50 »
+3
I wont agree with "too late" attitude no matter how many posts i see about it. I simply know its not too late, actually its very simple. Digital media market demand is growing faster than we can upload all our pictures at once. 

I know people who earn 2k $ per month. I know people who earn 5k $ per month. I know people who earn 20$ usd per month ... its all matter of quantity and quality and most important planning when you are uploading what kind of motive.