MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: to late for start at microstocking?  (Read 26398 times)

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2015, 03:19 »
+12
I doubt that demand is growing faster than everyone can upload pics. Overall sales per pic have dropped on SS. My $/image return has been dropping. If demand was growing faster than supply that probably would not be the case. If my present sales had increased linearly with my portfolio increase (demand growth = supply growth) then I'd be very pleased with my returns right now.

That said there is still the possibility of success at this depending on what you define as success. If you can consistently produce a lot of high selling images you could probably be successful at a lot of stuff though. Even if it isn't "too late" whatever that means, it certainly is a lot harder now than it was back when decent point and shoot shots were accepted and sold.

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2015, 05:18 »
+4
If the main priority is the monetary profit, investment in stock company shares rather than in photo gear might have been a better idea than shooting pictures.

For example, if had invested $20,000 in fall 2012 in SS shares, you could have parlayed it into $100,000 in less than 18 months. Of course, that $100 price per share was overheated. However, if you took advantage of that situation, and sold your shares at the peak, and then shorted your original investment and profit, waited until the shares dropped to $50 (just recently), and then covered your shorts, you could have doubled it to $200,000.

Adobe did also spectacularly well. $20,000 invested at the same time, while they were still more than two years away from their foray into the stock image business, would have grown by now to $50,000.
Of course, the timing is everything. Pick a wrong date and a price too high, and you could lose a lot.
Mind you, not as much as some people lost on quickly depreciating cameras and computers. If you sank $20,000 into a Hassy H50 at the same time,  you could still have, umm, well, a camera that used to cost $20,000, and it has been now blown away by Canon 5DS or Sony A7RII that costs only $3,200. I didn't add cost of lenses, but by any luck, with a nice portfolio, maybe you could have recovered their costs by your stock image royalties.

Purely coincidentally, as the oldtimers would remember, just before those stock share prices took off, we were told that Money isnt going to be what makes you all happy. And that is exactly how it happened - money not made didn't make us happy.

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2015, 06:16 »
+2
I wont agree with "too late" attitude no matter how many posts i see about it. I simply know its not too late, actually its very simple. Digital media market demand is growing faster than we can upload all our pictures at once. 

I know people who earn 2k $ per month.

I'm earning much more than that. But this, with thousands and thousands of photos already uploaded, and produced when production costs where balanced with revenue. Beggining now, if not in a pure amateur week-end basis, will mean that you are going to lose money (and lots of time), don't matter how little production, equipment cost and so are. That's what's happened with friends, decent photographers, that I cheered to join in the last two-three years.

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2015, 07:47 »
+4
I wont agree with "too late" attitude no matter how many posts i see about it. I simply know its not too late, actually its very simple. Digital media market demand is growing faster than we can upload all our pictures at once. 

I know people who earn 2k $ per month. I know people who earn 5k $ per month. I know people who earn 20$ usd per month ... its all matter of quantity and quality and most important planning when you are uploading what kind of motive.

There are always people who will succeed no matter what adversity there is. There is just a lot more adversity then there was when I started eight years ago.

10 years ago you could have been a so-so photographer, knew nothing about business, and watched earnings grow nicely. Today you would either need to live in a country with ultra low cost of living or you need to bring your A game if you want to earn a living. And by A game, I mean you have business experience, a sales and marketing background, are endlessly motivated, understand metadata/SEO, and can monetize trends. Oh yeah, and you're an excellent photographer. But so is everybody else these days so that doesn't mean as much as it used it.

So it's not too late for the right people. But those people already know that.

madman

This user is banned.
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2015, 17:51 »
+2
yes it is too late for microstocking IMO, my revenue continiously down day by day instead of constantly uploaded new images, sorry but that is true..

Hongover

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2015, 18:35 »
+3
yes it is too late for microstocking IMO, my revenue continiously down day by day instead of constantly uploaded new images, sorry but that is true..

That really depends on what type of images you're uploading.

The microstock business, or any business for that matter is not that hard to understand. At the end of the day, you need a bit of luck, a bit of skill and a whole lot of execution.

When people do a search for "Pets", one of the contributors on this forum holds the #2 spot on the search results. That image is probably getting over 1000 downloads per year. At the same time, an image with "Pets" on page 2 get less than half of that. An image on page 1000 gets 1/1000 of that. That image, like every image starts near bottom and made its way up to the top.

If the image is amazing, and you keyword it correctly, people will find it. It takes time, but it will start to move up the charts with enough consistent downloads. When it gets up there, it stays up there unless someone makes something even more amazing. But if you're uploading an image and it's just mediocre, and there are 1000 better alternatives, what's the point of uploading that image? Anyone who does that is relying on pure luck and nothing else.

I have seen a number of my images climb the rankings. And they're climbing because they are some of the best in its category...or some of the most unique. The demand in Microstock is very consistent right now, but there is an oversupply. The ones who are reaping the rewards are the people who bring their A-game. Anyone bringing their B or C-game is getting crushed by the A-players.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 18:38 by Hongover »

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2015, 19:41 »
+10
"If the image is amazing, and you keyword it correctly, people will find it. It takes time, but it will start to move up the charts with enough consistent downloads."

So much you have learned from your seven months at one agency.

Hongover

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2015, 20:42 »
+1
"If the image is amazing, and you keyword it correctly, people will find it. It takes time, but it will start to move up the charts with enough consistent downloads."

You have to learn fast if you're going to succeed in this crazy environment known as Microstock.  :P

And I'm on 4 agencies (SS, 123, FT, and DT) now, soon to be 5.

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2015, 21:50 »
+4

You have to learn fast if you're going to succeed in this crazy environment known as Microstock.  :P

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D way to go hongover, you tell this newbie who calls himself sean locke photography  8)

seriously, we have to give you some credit for your expertise and optimism, hongover.
you sound so much like those experts who reveal their great secrets of "how i slept with every one i meet... and you can do it too" ;D

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2015, 00:32 »
+9
So many responses lately read like contributor acquisition & site marketing. With questionable wisdom coming from new contributors who completely fail to acknowledge the expertise and experience coming from long term key players.  How many newbies are completely arrogant and chock full of industry and site insight. Not to mention having the balls to dispense condescending derogatory comments to successful contributors with many years of experience. Add in the claims that they need to up their game because these new ports are clearly superior to those seeing declining sales.

Bottom line, I do not buy the ongoing spiel, it sounds like inside marketing speak to me. I take the advice, critiques & claims of unbridled success with a car sized grain of salt, especially coming from some who stated early on that "I got rejected over 10 times before I got into SS. I doubt I'll be giving up now that I'm in."

Hongover

« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2015, 00:46 »
+4

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D way to go hongover, you tell this newbie who calls himself sean locke photography  8)

seriously, we have to give you some credit for your expertise and optimism, hongover.
you sound so much like those experts who reveal their great secrets of "how i slept with every one i meet... and you can do it too" ;D

I actually respect Sean a lot. He's got some amazing work and he's an expert at the craft. Me, I'm just a beginner at this microstock thing, but I'm who someone who works harder than most.

And if you only knew about my secrets and my stories about meeting people. Where do you think I got my optimism from? One day, I just may teach that to people.  ;)

Hongover

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2015, 01:26 »
+2
So many responses lately read like contributor acquisition & site marketing. With questionable wisdom coming from new contributors who completely fail to acknowledge the expertise and experience coming from long term key players.  How many newbies are completely arrogant and chock full of industry and site insight. Not to mention having the balls to dispense condescending derogatory comments to successful contributors with many years of experience. Add in the claims that they need to up their game because these new ports are clearly superior to those seeing declining sales.

Bottom line, I do not buy the ongoing spiel, it sounds like inside marketing speak to me. I take the advice, critiques & claims of unbridled success with a car sized grain of salt, especially coming from some who stated early on that "I got rejected over 10 times before I got into SS. I doubt I'll be giving up now that I'm in."

Honestly, your post doesn't bother me. If I'm some site marketer, I'm doing a terrible job at it. I haven't posted any links or urged anyone use any service. Some acquisition marketer I'm turning out to be.

Unfortunately, this is not a place where one claim to have some success and spill every detail on how they did it. It doesn't matter how many times I got rejected, what matters is that it didn't bother me. Sometimes, even I have a hard time believing the numbers so I don't blame you for your skepticism.

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2015, 02:21 »
+3
it's too late yes for making a decent money/timeinvested....but if you have free time you can of coarse start microstocking and buy yourself some free beers .... (this is my case  :D ;D)

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2015, 11:49 »
+1

What is decent money? $50/mo? $200/mo? $500/mo? $1000/mo? The last one is a huge challenge for anyone, but $500/mo is very attainable with the right portfolio.

Which is exactly why so many people have said if your expectations are to pay for your gear and have some pocket money, it's not too late, but if you want to quit your day job and support yourself, then yes, it is too late.

Depends on where you live. With U$ 1000/month I can travel endlessly in the countries I like the most.
If you live in US/Northern Europe/Australia/Japan micro is a complete waste of time now.
It provides me 20-50% more than a minimum wage in US. Not enough for a decent living, but it is a nice bonus by any standards. Especially since it only involves some weekend work.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2015, 12:02 »
+4

What is decent money? $50/mo? $200/mo? $500/mo? $1000/mo? The last one is a huge challenge for anyone, but $500/mo is very attainable with the right portfolio.

Which is exactly why so many people have said if your expectations are to pay for your gear and have some pocket money, it's not too late, but if you want to quit your day job and support yourself, then yes, it is too late.

Depends on where you live. With U$ 1000/month I can travel endlessly in the countries I like the most.
If you live in US/Northern Europe/Australia/Japan micro is a complete waste of time now.
It provides me 20-50% more than a minimum wage in US. Not enough for a decent living, but it is a nice bonus by any standards. Especially since it only involves some weekend work.

i think that just sums it all up. we are not being sarcastic or anything towards hongover etc
although it may sound harsh. but the fact is not the problem with you and me and all contributors old and new. it's like when global economy took over and greedy politicians back boiler room businesses with subsidies to their quick turnover of employees. all just to fill the pockets of these businesses who got rich off the backs of taxpayers before they close down their HO in countries like USA, Canada,Uk,etc to move to India, etc.

ss is no different. they no longer care if 1k is crumbs for someone living in USA or UK, they can pay out 75 bucks to someone in some 3rd world country where 75 bucks buys alot more .
it's not rocket science to make snapshots for microstock. you don't even have to have photography 101. many of the "masters" of microstock were no better than the newbies coming in today.

and if you ask the shareholders , they really don't give NFA whether contributors who made ss what they are today are now pissedoff with their attitude . they see the bottom line
and they will prefer someone who will cheer with getting a mere 75 bucks a month
than someone who expect to continue to get even 40 K p.a.

like they say with bandboys too, clubs will hire bands who think getting a case of beer is great
when we were kids, we got paid 400 bucks a night. microstock is no different.

who cares if the kids today don't play anything like they do in the 60s??? no one cares
when they think lady gaga is incredible. microstock is no different
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:04 by etudiante_rapide »

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2015, 14:13 »
+2

In 50 years there will definitely be a role for you as a "community leader" on the SS forum . The similarity is startling

Hongover

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2015, 14:34 »
+3

In 50 years there will definitely be a role for you as a "community leader" on the SS forum . The similarity is startling

In 50 years, I'll be too busy killing zombies during the inevitable zombie apocalypse. I'll leave you the honor of being "community leader".

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2015, 15:05 »
+2
i think that just sums it all up. we are not being sarcastic or anything towards hongover etc
although it may sound harsh. but the fact is not the problem with you and me and all contributors old and new. it's like when global economy took over and greedy politicians back boiler room businesses with subsidies to their quick turnover of employees. all just to fill the pockets of these businesses who got rich off the backs of taxpayers before they close down their HO in countries like USA, Canada,Uk,etc to move to India, etc.

ss is no different. they no longer care if 1k is crumbs for someone living in USA or UK, they can pay out 75 bucks to someone in some 3rd world country where 75 bucks buys alot more .
it's not rocket science to make snapshots for microstock. you don't even have to have photography 101. many of the "masters" of microstock were no better than the newbies coming in today.

and if you ask the shareholders , they really don't give NFA whether contributors who made ss what they are today are now pissedoff with their attitude . they see the bottom line
and they will prefer someone who will cheer with getting a mere 75 bucks a month

like they say with bandboys too, clubs will hire bands who think getting a case of beer is great

who cares if the kids today don't play anything like they do in the 60s??? no one cares

We can easily see where shutterstock is headed or for than matter not headed; by looking to the world regions where shutterstock is actively hosting events and recruiting "Community Leaders" whom they use to attract, train and produce thousands of new contributors.

The ongoing contributor acquisition & site marketing speak expressed here, is likely being repeated by lecture and event attendees. Who are falsely lead to believe older contributors are passe and out of touch with current market needs. Wishful thinking bred out of financial want or need, lead them to believe that the fates older contributors are experiencing by being left out of the shutterstock search will not await them; if only they work smarter with increased diligence.

http://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/76588-writers-wanted-for-stock-photography-advice-
"We also host lectures by Shutterstock's staff about which photos are on high demand and what Shutterstock is looking for in the year to come. We organize lectures, workshops, courses, photowalks and other events."
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 15:15 by gbalex »

Hongover

« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2015, 15:43 »
+3

We can easily see where shutterstock is headed or for than matter not headed; by looking to the world regions where shutterstock is actively hosting events and recruiting "Community Leaders" whom they use to attract, train and produce thousands of new contributors.

The ongoing contributor acquisition & site marketing speak expressed here, is likely being repeated by lecture and event attendees. Who are falsely lead to believe older contributors are passe and out of touch with current market needs. Wishful thinking bred out of financial want or need, lead them to believe that the fates older contributors are experiencing by being left out of the shutterstock search will not await them; if only they work smarter with increased diligence.

http://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/76588-writers-wanted-for-stock-photography-advice-
"We also host lectures by Shutterstock's staff about which photos are on high demand and what Shutterstock is looking for in the year to come. We organize lectures, workshops, courses, photowalks and other events."

You've exposed me. I am a SS community leader and my mission is to recruit new contributors by the millions so that our overlord, SS can meet the $104 Million revenue target for the 3rd quarter of 2015.

Our shareholders have not been happy with our linear growth. They want to see exponential growth and in order to do that, we must keep our portfolio fresh and in demand. This will ensure our sustainability and consistency as the market leader and crush all with our steel heel boots, especially the maker of Flash, which has cause more security problems than people can count.

As a SS community leader, I'm going to share what type of photos will be in demand for the next year...adorable rodents. If you have a lot of those in your portfolio, get ready for a killing in 2016. You're welcome!

« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2015, 15:57 »
+2

You've exposed me. I am a SS community leader
and my mission is to recruit new contributors by the millions so that our overlord, SS can meet the $104 Million revenue target for the 3rd quarter of 2015.

Our shareholders have not been happy with our linear growth
. They want to see exponential growth and in order to do that, we must keep our portfolio fresh and in demand. This will ensure our sustainability and consistency as the market leader and crush all with our steel heel boots, especially the maker of Flash, which has cause more security problems than people can count.

As a SS community leader, I'm going to share what type of photos will be in demand for the next year...adorable rodents. If you have a lot of those in your portfolio, get ready for a killing in 2016. You're welcome!

been there and back with being community leader and all that. it's like those pyramid schemes where they hire cheerleaders to come on at recruitment gatherings to say " wee wee yay ya i was broke, had to foreclose my house until i join xxx . now i bring in enough to not only buy a new house twice as big as the one i foreclosed with cash, bla bla bla".

as for shareholders flat line... the only flat line you will see is after the same shareholders
cause ss to flatline when they take profit just before ss do a sky dive.
don't be too happy about listening to shareholders because they won't be holding your company's share very long. it is not to their interest if shutterstock loses all their top contributors
because they really don't care what happens to shutterstock in the next decade.

even that is thinking too long term for these shareholders because they do not intend to be there
for shutterstock.

« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2015, 16:16 »
+1
You've exposed me. I am a SS community leader and my mission is to recruit new contributors by the millions so that our overlord, SS can meet the $104 Million revenue target for the 3rd quarter of 2015.

Our shareholders have not been happy with our linear growth. They want to see exponential growth and in order to do that, we must keep our portfolio fresh and in demand. This will ensure our sustainability and consistency as the market leader and crush all with our steel heel boots, especially the maker of Flash, which has cause more security problems than people can count.

Re: "in order to do that, we must keep our portfolio fresh and in demand. This will ensure our sustainability and consistency as the market leader"

Words uttered by every fresh naive new contributor.

Please!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 16:18 by gbalex »

Hongover

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2015, 16:21 »
+2

You've exposed me. I am a SS community leader
and my mission is to recruit new contributors by the millions so that our overlord, SS can meet the $104 Million revenue target for the 3rd quarter of 2015.

Our shareholders have not been happy with our linear growth
. They want to see exponential growth and in order to do that, we must keep our portfolio fresh and in demand. This will ensure our sustainability and consistency as the market leader and crush all with our steel heel boots, especially the maker of Flash, which has cause more security problems than people can count.

been there and back with being community leader and all that. it's like those pyramid schemes where they hire cheerleaders to come on at recruitment gatherings to say " wee wee yay ya i was broke, had to foreclose my house until i join xxx . now i bring in enough to not only buy a new house twice as big as the one i foreclosed with cash, bla bla bla".

as for shareholders flat line... the only flat line you will see is after the same shareholders
cause ss to flatline when they take profit just before ss do a sky dive.
don't be too happy about listening to shareholders because they won't be holding your company's share very long. it is not to their interest if shutterstock loses all their top contributors
because they really don't care what happens to shutterstock in the next decade.

even that is thinking too long term for these shareholders because they do not intend to be there
for shutterstock.

I thought I put enough hyperbole in there to make the joke seem obvious, but I guess it's not obvious enough.

I'm NOT a community leader. I'm a contributor like everyone else. If there is any reason why I should care about SS's financial health, it's because they currently make up the majority of my monthly microstock earnings.

If you think being a SS community leader is being part of a pyramid scheme, you should look up what it's like to be a USANA seller. That's a real pyramid scheme.

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2015, 16:25 »
+2

Re: "in order to do that, we must keep our portfolio fresh and in demand. This will ensure our sustainability and consistency as the market leader"

Please!
Words of an embittered "old school", unable to adapt to a different reality.

Please!

Hongover

« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2015, 16:41 »
+3

Please!

*shurgs*

It was a joke. Maybe I should get into sales if I can convince people this easily. But then again, you probably had yourself convinced 90% before I made that joke post.

marthamarks

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2015, 18:06 »
+4
I'm going to share what type of photos will be in demand for the next year...adorable rodents. If you have a lot of those in your portfolio, get ready for a killing in 2016. You're welcome!

Hey! I have hundreds of truly adorable rodents in my wildlife port. Tree squirrels and ground squirrels and prairie dogs and chipmunks and marmots and  Guess I'm poised to make a killing in 2016!

Muchas gracias for the tip!!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 20:13 by marthamarks »