pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Alamy- Any success??  (Read 70490 times)

« Reply #100 on: February 29, 2016, 13:36 »
+2
You don't get it, obviously.

You have to pick and choose the important keywords. Copy pasting is not the issue, selecting them is, if you care about their system. And you have to calculate which ones to select in order to avoid exceeding the limits and finding yourself with truncated words. And the bottom box is too small to accommodate 50 words or expressions. I always found myslef scrolling down to find the right words to copy.

You don't have to jump so high to defend the undefendable. Alamy has the worst keywording system in the industry.
Unfriendly and annoying.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 13:42 by Zero Talent »

dpimborough

« Reply #101 on: February 29, 2016, 13:38 »
My two cents----I don't like if you have one image wrong out of the whole batch of images submitted, you have to go to Time Out for 30 days.  Please--give me a break.  I never had to go to Time Out even as a Kid.  Do you like going to Time Out?

Time out??? I've had batches rejected before and they never place a timeout. 

Out of 911 media submissions I had 12 fail/rejected not once was there a time out.

30 day time outs apply to repeat and persistent offenders or producers of rubbish photos. But you would have to go a long long way before that was applied.

And if it was you would need to ask yourself ~ Am I really a photographer of any merit to consistently produce rubbish.

dpimborough

« Reply #102 on: February 29, 2016, 13:42 »

You have to pick and choose the important keywords. Copy pasting is not the issue, selecting them is. And you have to calculate which ones to select in order to avoid exceeding the limits. And the bottom box is too small to accommodate 50 words or expressions. I always found myslef scrolling down to find the right wards to copy.
You don't have to jump so high to defend the undefendable.

You ain't doing it right then are you? and neither do you understand the Alamy keyword process.

You will find it does not matter where the keywords are Alamy still searches for them and uses words from the two description boxes, and location tab too.

But you carry on believing what you want to believe and I'll carry on selling through Alamy.

I don't jump high to defend the undefendable. I don't put up condescending twaddle.

« Reply #103 on: February 29, 2016, 14:00 »
+3

You have to pick and choose the important keywords. Copy pasting is not the issue, selecting them is. And you have to calculate which ones to select in order to avoid exceeding the limits. And the bottom box is too small to accommodate 50 words or expressions. I always found myslef scrolling down to find the right wards to copy.
You don't have to jump so high to defend the undefendable.

You ain't doing it right then are you? and neither do you understand the Alamy keyword process.

You will find it does not matter where the keywords are Alamy still searches for them and uses words from the two description boxes, and location tab too.

But you carry on believing what you want to believe and I'll carry on selling through Alamy.

I don't jump high to defend the undefendable. I don't put up condescending twaddle.

I'm afraid you are the one who misunderstood the system.
Alamy states that "essential keywords" (with "Very High" significance in search) matter more than "main keywords" (with "High" significance), which mater more than "comprehensive keywords" (with "Medium" significance).
Besides they also made clear that they are NOT using the location tab ("not searchable"), anymore (the location must be a keyword). Same goes for the description box: it is NOT searchable.

Check this pdf: http://www.alamy.com/contributors/captions-and-keywords-for-alamy-images.pdf
and update your knowledge.

They have also made clear that expressions between quotes matter more than the individual keywords (e. "New York" is preferred against "New" + "York" when someone is looking for "New York")
This is not the case for other agencies choosing to split expressions in individual words.

So it is your decision if you don't want to maximize your search potential by not complying with this convoluted system.
You can always simply select some random words for the mandatory "essential keywords" and leave all the rest on the bottom box, only because Alamy still searches them with "medium" efforts  ;)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 14:54 by Zero Talent »

« Reply #104 on: February 29, 2016, 14:20 »
And Alamy did make clear they don't want the keywords spamming i.e. having the same keywords repeated in different boxes. It is definately everyone's choice whether to bother about it or not..

« Reply #105 on: February 29, 2016, 15:53 »
+5
It's simple.  Keyword in order of importance and then you dont have to hunt for the most important words.  Their right there at the top.  Cut and paste.  Done.

« Reply #106 on: February 29, 2016, 16:26 »
+3
It's simple.  Keyword in order of importance and then you dont have to hunt for the most important words.  Their right there at the top.  Cut and paste.  Done.

Unfortunately, Lightroom re-orders all keywords alphabetically.
Even if ordered by importance, you still have to recreate the original expressions with quotes, then make sure you select less than 50 characters for the first box, and then less that 300 for the second. Very annoying. Only after that you can say "cut and paste. done"
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 16:34 by Zero Talent »

« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2016, 02:46 »
+1
I don't bother recreating expressions.  Can't see its hurt me.  And for the cut and paste,  their boxes will truncate what you paste to what will fit.  Once in awhile it cuts off half a word, so I just delete that one and put the rest in the second box.  A little secret, they don't punish you for reusing same words in more than one box.  I keyword in order of importance, then on the site I copy ALL the words, then paste in first box, delete half word that doesn't fit, then paste in second box.  Fill out the page with number of models, check if it's a photo or not (it always is), add releases, on to the next.  Plus you can do this in batches for a series.  Is it the easiest upload system?  Nope.  But it's not torture if you get a system down.

dpimborough

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2016, 03:21 »
+5
And Alamy did make clear they don't want the keywords spamming i.e. having the same keywords repeated in different boxes. It is definately everyone's choice whether to bother about it or not..

Quote from Alamy earlier in this thread

"Just to clear this one up quickly for you:

You're not penalized for having duplicate keywords and you never have been. It just takes up valuable space in your keyword fields so there is no need to do it.

:)

Cheers

Alamy"

http://www.microstockgroup.com/alamy-com/alamy-any-success/msg427524/#msg427524

authenticcreations

« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2016, 03:42 »
+1
Anyway i just noticed that alamy made it to the top 3 passing Fotolia.

« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2016, 02:27 »
+1
I agree. Strange times are coming.

« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2016, 06:18 »
OT: Alamy is not the worlds largest stock photo collection anymore?

50%

« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2016, 07:22 »
+1
Possibly but more than 65mil could be 80mill or something. In any case there is way way more variation at Alamy than in Shutterstock.

« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2016, 08:29 »
Possibly but more than 65mil could be 80mill or something. In any case there is way way more variation at Alamy than in Shutterstock.

Or, maybe by saying "the largest stock photo colleciton" they mean photos and not images in general? Their database seems to be mostly photos, not too many vectors nor footage..

« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2016, 08:44 »

Or, maybe by saying "the largest stock photo colleciton" they mean photos and not images in general? Their database seems to be mostly photos, not too many vectors nor footage..

What is the difference between a photo and an image?

authenticcreations

« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2016, 08:48 »
Image is a collected word. It can be a photo, illustration..... any still visual material.

Mirco

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2016, 14:07 »
+2
Although this link is to an article on Forbes.com about the Best Places to Retire in 2015 - what's really interesting is that there are two images by the same photographer - one from Shutterstock and one from Alamy - and there are also a handful from Getty and from iStock - so it shows that even big magazines are looking for the least expensive photo but will pay more for the right image. There are more Alamy images than others but if you have the same images with Alamy and the micros, you'll be likely to get far fewer sales on Alamy.

http://www2.forbes.com/investing/the-best-places-to-retire-in-2015/?utm_campaign=Top-Tier&utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=45396874&utm_term=740537

« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2016, 14:26 »
+1
Although this link is to an article on Forbes.com about the Best Places to Retire in 2015 - what's really interesting is that there are two images by the same photographer - one from Shutterstock and one from Alamy - and there are also a handful from Getty and from iStock - so it shows that even big magazines are looking for the least expensive photo but will pay more for the right image. There are more Alamy images than others but if you have the same images with Alamy and the micros, you'll be likely to get far fewer sales on Alamy.

http://www2.forbes.com/investing/the-best-places-to-retire-in-2015/?utm_campaign=Top-Tier&utm_source=Outbrain&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=45396874&utm_term=740537

This image:

http://www.alamy.com/search.html?qt=DR6E1D&imgt=0

is also in his Shutterstock portfolio:

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-172296803/stock-photo-athens-georgia-usa-downtown-cityscape.html?src=gLX_zWyKSi7tHIOGrgYuxw-1-7

That example does not prove much...

Nice portfolio though, both on Alamy and on Shutterstock.

« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2016, 01:13 »
+3

What is the difference between a photo and an image?

Every photo is an image, but not every image is a photo

« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2016, 03:10 »
+3
Prices for web use with Alamy can be as cheap as microstock.

« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2016, 12:22 »
+8
Woohoo. 200$ sale at Alamy. Thats my highest earning sale so far from all agencies. It feels like Christmas.

« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2016, 16:01 »
+1
I do not mind Alamy's keywording process.  I like the next and previous image directions.  Much easier than the agencies where you web upload and have to go one by one without being ale to see the others uploaded in same batch.

« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2016, 16:02 »
Congrats on the 2k sale!  Was that RM?

I only have RF on Alamy, and usually sell pretty well there this month so far zero sales.  It has never happened since I started there in more then 5 years that I had a no sale month.

« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2016, 02:29 »
+3
Congrats on the 2k sale!  Was that RM?

I only have RF on Alamy, and usually sell pretty well there this month so far zero sales.  It has never happened since I started there in more then 5 years that I had a no sale month.
If you mean Dumc it was 200$ not 20000$
Alamy is rubbish for me this month too.  5 sales but only 62$ total.

« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2016, 04:31 »
+2
Alamy Top Tier? Well 0 sales here! Down Tier for me. Other agencies excellent.