pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Property release on 450 years old sculptures?  (Read 3645 times)

« on: July 30, 2015, 10:34 »
+1
I recently uploaded some shots of 450 year old Buddha images from an old temple ruin in the Rakhine State in Myanmar. They were immediately rejected at SS with the claim that I need a property release. Has anybody experienced that before? I mean, the artist must have been dead for at least 400 years and with the the current state of affairs in Myanmar, getting a property release for these is probably as simple as negotiating a peace treaty in the Middle East.

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 18:17 »
I recently uploaded some shots of 450 year old Buddha images from an old temple ruin in the Rakhine State in Myanmar. They were immediately rejected at SS with the claim that I need a property release. Has anybody experienced that before? I mean, the artist must have been dead for at least 400 years and with the the current state of affairs in Myanmar, getting a property release for these is probably as simple as negotiating a peace treaty in the Middle East.

depends on the reviewer - I've recently had myanmar & Cambodia Buddha images accepted by SS; if they're rejected for property release I just resubmit as editorial and they're usually accepted

ss has started to consider anything shot inside as needing a release or else as editorial

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 19:24 »
I've had images from Cambodia/Thailand rejected for requiring property releases. When I emailed support it was explained that the release is not because of the piece itself but because of the temple in which it was. In my case I had the name of the temple in the keywords/title and was told that if I removed that reference the image could be approved.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 19:59 »
Thank you for the answers. It doesn't make sense, but it explains it. By removing the name of the temple, the value of the images obviously diminishes, since the typical users (like travel agents etc.) wouldn't know where it is. Oh well...

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 20:05 »
Thank you for the answers. It doesn't make sense, but it explains it. By removing the name of the temple, the value of the images obviously diminishes, since the typical users (like travel agents etc.) wouldn't know where it is. Oh well...

Totally agree. I can easily imagine people searching for certain famous temples specifically. Sucks but it seems to be the way it is.

Of course, you could sell it editorial and have the temple name in it. Maybe have a mix of both so people can search for the name of the temple, find your port and see other non-editorial temple images in it.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 07:34 »
+1
There's also always the possibility that a country requires some sort of administrative permission to take photos of... pretty much anything (I am looking at you, Italy!).

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 15:36 »
+1
I would think at 450 years old a property release is mandatory. It is art, therefore, intellectual property. What's the big deal? Get a release to protect yourself. After all, that is the ONLY reason for obtaining a release. Don't tell me the release applies to other entities. The others are riding on your coat tails. You should get into the frame of mind that the model release protects YOU. The others count only if you make the decision to include them to.

best,

CEC

OM

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 17:17 »
On SS I've seen a whole series of Buddhist monks recognisably portrayed but without model release. I'm sure I don't know how that works.