MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: /symbiostock_xml_cache Files Accummulation  (Read 8072 times)

« on: August 07, 2015, 00:17 »
+1
I don't do much with my legacy symbiostock site these days, but just got a message from my host company that I had too many files in my
/symbiostock_xml_cache

I guess these files are never cleared automatically. Cleared it all manually now.
You might want to look also at your /symbiostock_xml_cache directory and delete all or at least the oldest files.

ObviousTroll

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 00:52 »
I would like to add you can turn off all networking altogether across the legacy network. Times have changed on the web and networking is no longer useful. At the most your just going to look like a link farm.

Once you turn off the networking features altogether your site performance will increase. Also I would suggest getting on Symbiostock (New) like it or not. Its maintained covers a lot of ground.

I am no longer offering conversions to legacy users, but you can start fresh with grfx too if you want (though I do not make it as easy since I force users to use imagemagick for quality)

Once again, fair warning, web hosts are very likely just tolerating the network. The sooner you get off of it the better.

GRFX
https://wordpress.org/plugins/grfx/

New Symbiostock

https://wordpress.org/plugins/symbiostock/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 00:54 by ObviousTroll »

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 16:18 »
Thanks, Leo

I deleted manually all files  (over 12,000) in /symbiostock_xml_cache directory
and deactivated Networking in Symbiostock Network section.

For some reason, all those files are coming back.
Are they being rebuilt or copied from another node on the network?

marthamarks

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 16:57 »
Thanks, Les and Leo, for this suggestion.

Like Les, I've just turned off my networking capacity. Hadn't thought of doing that before, but at this point it makes sense. And maybe I'll go delete those files too. Can't hurt.

The big problem on my site is that the categories recently ceased to work. Here's what I get when I click one of my category links:

http://bestnaturestock.com/image-type/cacti-images/

Is anybody else having this problem?

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 17:33 »
Martha,

When I click on my categories (tried several), they work and display correctly.

marthamarks

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 17:42 »
Martha,

When I click on my categories (tried several), they work and display correctly.

Thanks, Les. I've tried deactivating all non-SYS plugins and hoped that might help. But it didn't. Not sure what good my site is if the categories don't work. Bummer!

steheap

• Author of best selling "Get Started in Stock"

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 20:48 »
+1
I decided to convert to new Symbiostock about 2 weeks ago. I found it to be a pretty simple exercise and I also was able to maintain all my original image URLs so that the Google searches still go through to the same image after conversion. All descriptions, titles, keywords and categories transferred across and the plugin appropriately marked editorial shots.

I wrote a blog post about how I did it at http://www.backyardsilver.com/2015/07/learning-points-from-creating-a-new-symbiostock-website/ if that helps anyone.

I have added over 1000 extra images since I converted - very smooth and easy and my site performs very smoothly now. You can check it out if you are interested at http://www.backyardstockphotos.com

Of course I have no idea if the sales will be better (or worse) but I decided the work I had put into this was not something to throw away.

Steve

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 20:55 »
I've tried deactivating all non-SYS plugins and hoped that might help. But it didn't. Not sure what good my site is if the categories don't work. Bummer!

Could be that the categories indexes are corrupted.
I don't know if the categories are handled by some coded function in the symbiostock program or by one of the external plugins.
If by a plugin, maybe it's the Taxonomy one. You could try to deactivate and then reactivate it, to see if it will rebuild the category indexes.

I decided to convert to new Symbiostock about 2 weeks ago. I found it to be a pretty simple exercise and I also was able to maintain all my original image URLs so that the Google searches still go through to the same image after conversion. All descriptions, titles, keywords and categories transferred across and the plugin appropriately marked editorial shots.

Thanks, Steve. Good to know that the new Symbiostock works and the conversion was smooth.

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 21:02 »
I deleted manually all files  (over 12,000) in /symbiostock_xml_cache directory
and deactivated Networking in Symbiostock Network section.

For some reason, all those files are coming back. Are they being rebuilt or copied from another node on the network?

It looks like that those files are copied into my directory from somewhere else. The Last Modified date-stamps display dates prior to today's date.

marthamarks

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 21:12 »

I wrote a blog post about how I did it at http://www.backyardsilver.com/2015/07/learning-points-from-creating-a-new-symbiostock-website/ if that helps anyone.

I have added over 1000 extra images since I converted - very smooth and easy and my site performs very smoothly now. You can check it out if you are interested at http://www.backyardstockphotos.com

Of course I have no idea if the sales will be better (or worse) but I decided the work I had put into this was not something to throw away.

Steve

Hi Steve, and thanks for that input. I really do appreciate hearing about your experience.

I have to ask: in making that switch, did you need or get any personal help from Robin? Or did you handle it all by yourself?

I'm tempted but not sure how much help Robin would be if I got stuck, or if I'd be totally on my own.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 21:16 by marthamarks »

ObviousTroll

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 21:24 »
+1
If you like I can post a non-networking version of Symbiostock Legacy version that is guaranteed not to use resources on networking features or make cache entries, but I fear I may be enabling dependency on something that is no longer of huge benefit.

Also please keep in mind New Symbiostock has been slowly integrating networking features if you are still interested. I personally think social networks are where it's at, and of course the work we put in on our own sites. But networking is also fun and a radical new approach, so it might take one day. Keep in mind I'm no longer with Symbiostock -- I only present it because it is closer to home for most of you and what you are used to.

At this time I'm building a very custom python-based solution for those with extremely large portfolios who can't operate within Wordpress's constraints, but for everyone else -- I'd say go for the conversion. Its full of toys.

Otherwise there is my very straightfoward grfx plugin which shoots for quality and sales and nothing else. But I wouldn't rate it "consumer grade" by any means.

PLEASE take my advice! Symbiostock legacy needs to go! And there are SO many more options now that are still free.

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 21:37 »
Leo,

are you saying that with the Legacy Symbiostock I can't disable creation of those cache files?
Or in other words, how can I stop creation of those files?

ObviousTroll

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 22:16 »
Very likely in the networking class there is a line of code you can alter to stop cache file writing. I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible so you can disable it.

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 22:40 »
Leo,

I disabled "Update public network info" in Author Options tab and it seems that this stopped re-generation of the cache files (at least for now). I will monitor this directory and report later whether this was the culprit.

ObviousTroll

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 22:44 »
Thanks. Also I should correct myself -- I spoke too soon: Apparently New Symbiostock is not currently safe: http://www.symbiostock.org/forums/topic/do-not-upgrade-to-woocommerce-2-4-x-use-2-3-x/

In any case, grfx is still working. I built it as future-proof as possible.

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 23:01 »
Due to the fact that this new WooCommerce update was released with bugs:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/version-242-variable-products-still-show-out-of-stock%E2%80%A6-error
https://wordpress.org/support/topic/variable-prices-coming-up-free-after-upgrade-to-24/
https://wordpress.org/support/topic/problems-after-update-price-disappears-when-variations-chosen

We are likely to fork Symbiostock so it uses standardized versions of WooCommerce with updates disabled. It is too cumbersome to try to debug that entire plugin with every release and since we are aiming for production sites, stability is an absolute priority.

Many people who upgraded to the new WooCommerce are experiencing serious issues, including having all their products appear 'free' to customers, among other things. As we do testing constantly and have such a large user base, we find these problems before your customers do.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 23:03 by Robin@Symbiostock »

ObviousTroll

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 23:12 »
It is too cumbersome to try to debug that entire plugin with every release ...

That plugin is one of the most respected ones out there.

including having all their products appear 'free' to customers

Ironic, Symbiostock was created due to an agency giving away images for free.

As we do testing constantly and have such a large user base, we find these problems before your customers do.

When you try to sound like an agency it comes off strange.

So fork symbiostock to utilize non-updated woocommerce to avoid update issues due to nonstandard code? What happens when wordpress outdates your forked Symbiostock that utilizes a non-updated woocommerce? Then after that you will need to include your own homebrew wordpress as well. Problems cascade in the world of code.  ;)

Best you just fix Symbiostock. Your welcome to borrow some more code from grfx if you need to. The problem has not affected us. Time for a rewrite.  ;)

Anyway, stability found here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/grfx/

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:16 by ObviousTroll »

steheap

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 08:00 »
Hi Steve, and thanks for that input. I really do appreciate hearing about your experience.

I have to ask: in making that switch, did you need or get any personal help from Robin? Or did you handle it all by yourself?

I'm tempted but not sure how much help Robin would be if I got stuck, or if I'd be totally on my own.

Hi Martha

The instructions in the documentation area on the new Symbio site are very thorough, although I had some server issues at first. Robin was very helpful, investigated, logged onto my server and identified the issue and helped me explain to the hosting company what I needed. Questions on the forum are answered pretty quickly. All in all, I had no issues that I couldn't either fix myself or Robin quickly helped me with. I don't get involved with what happened and why, but I do find the new plugin and the theme to be very easy to work with and fast - no caching needed, for instance.

Steve

marthamarks

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 08:28 »

Hi Martha

The instructions in the documentation area on the new Symbio site are very thorough, although I had some server issues at first. Robin was very helpful, investigated, logged onto my server and identified the issue and helped me explain to the hosting company what I needed. Questions on the forum are answered pretty quickly. All in all, I had no issues that I couldn't either fix myself or Robin quickly helped me with. I don't get involved with what happened and why, but I do find the new plugin and the theme to be very easy to work with and fast - no caching needed, for instance.

Steve
I looked at your site, Steve. It's nice! And I also read your blog post about the conversion, so that gave me a much better sense of the process.

Now that my site seems to be broken in a big way, I'm tempted to make the switch. It's more nerve-wracking to plunge into this now (with almost 2,000 images up and a whole lot of text) than it was at the start, because I've put so much time and effort into it already and don't want to have to repeat all that. But if the new system can accept my material without presenting too many complications, maybe it's worth doing.

Thanks for all that info, Steve. You're giving me confidence!

steheap

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 09:36 »
Thanks Martha - I was thinking the same way before I started, although I had 3500 images that I had worked on. Then, the day before I started, someone bought two images from the old site, but it didn't deliver an email to them with the downloads, so that made me determined to move.

I'm working now on some auto backup processes that I will write about on my blog as well. Feel free to ask me any questions privately.

Finally, Google is indexing the new images that I have added to the new site, so that seems OK.

Steve

marthamarks

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 14:31 »
+1
Feel free to ask me any questions privately.

Yes, I will do that.   ;)

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 23:28 »
Back to the OP.
Just to confirm that disabling "Update public network info" in Author Options tab stopped, indeed, the re-generation of the cache files from the other nodes on the network.