pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: SS now at 60 million images!  (Read 72974 times)

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2015, 12:30 »

There is still lots of money to be made in the traditional markets but the photographers there keep quiet about it and for obvious reasons. :) There are a couple of non public forums housing many of these photographers. Reading what some of these people are earning! oh boy, makes us all look poor.

yes, i have to agree with this . i just came out of a old boys photo club, where this fella just sold several of his 8 by 10 framed picture of rusty door and derelict like you find in the Bronz . price paid $450 per frame image. and you should see the size of the noise... golfballs compared to what ss would reject for noise. no, correct that, watermelons in noise.
i casually asked the wife of the fella who bought those pictures, she said, it goes well with the mantel piece , and colour of our other rooms. not one word re the picture itself

i think we are missing a market for sure. oh, i asked several of the members if they knew of shutterstock. they said they tried but they think they're stupid because they failed in their approval many times.  i too was ashamed to say i am one of those who got approved first time round LMAO

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2015, 21:27 »
+2
SHUTTERSTOCK STATS: 70,158,324 royalty-free stock images / 712,500 new stock images added this week

Just for the log. Don't know what day. Dec 15th 2015.

Rinderart

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2015, 17:08 »
And 1,016,200 are tomatoes. dont reviewers have a To many on site rejection reasons. When I reviewed they did.

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2015, 20:16 »
And 1,016,200 are tomatoes. dont reviewers have a To many on site rejection reasons. When I reviewed they did.

old post, ..but i guess it applies.
and marijuana i check  Marijuana 49,163
i wonder in how many months it took to 49.1k vs tomato 1M

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2015, 11:44 »
If SS is now at 70 million images, why does Alamy say front page, largest collection in the world 65 million. Should somebody tell them.

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2015, 03:28 »
+3
getty has always been bigger than alamy, its just marketing spin, agencies are not exactly  known for their honesty anyway

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2015, 05:00 »
+2

I'm quite confident that with the recruitment of new contributors and rewarding the image factories for their output we can get that count in a few years to 2 million.

Looking at it from a different perspective, 1 million images are equal to 10,000 pages, each with 100 thumbnails. And some of them are actually quite nice. A cinch to go through.

If you have 10 of your own tomato images there, you'll have a 0.1% chance that someone after perusing 10,000 pages will see your image. Of course, if you add another 90 tomatoes tomorrow, you'd raise your chances to full 1%. However, when the collection reaches 2 million, your chances to be found would go back to 0.5% (unless you add another 100 plump tomatoes).  Never ending circle!   

Rinderart

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2015, 16:38 »
+2
Agree Les. Probably the reason I uploaded a rotten tomato in 2006. No one else had one and It flew off the shelf. then I did a apple. same thing. Then I got copied Big time. LOL

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2015, 19:27 »
+1
when the collection reaches 2 million, your chances to be found would go back to 0.5% (unless you add another 100 plump tomatoes).  Never ending circle!

good, serves them right. it's what they call tomato karma, heh heh
happy new year 2 all... may your tomatoes never rot ;D

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2016, 11:22 »
Just checked the competition. FT is a close second with 827 thousand tomatoes, followed by IS with 491 thousands, and DT showing 431 thousands. Alamy has paltry 271,550 and GI doesn't even show the count.

However, that's nothing compared with Google archive. On this January 1, 2016, Google search engine returned in 0.39 seconds over 67 million tomato pictures. Seems like a big and vibrant market.

marthamarks

« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2016, 12:14 »
+2
Makes me soooooooo happy I don't shoot tomatoes, or apples either.

Happy 2016, everybody!  :)

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2016, 13:28 »
+3
My second alamy sale was actually tomato. That was 4 months ago.

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2016, 14:06 »
OR....Hopefully we'll go back to the days when companies actually Hired Photographers to shoot for them.  digital came along, then Micro and everyone is a Photographer. Ya right. Digital made it to where everyone can enjoy Photography, It also killed traditional Stock work Done By a select few that made a living at it.
I think for the big users this has to happen eventually.   Can you imagine sifting through these stock libraries to get quality stuff for an ad campaign?  The only thing that worries me is the need to get my skills up to snuff before it happens.  I have a lot to learn, but I am willing to learn, willing to work, and willing to keep an eye on where the market is headed. 

Rinderart

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2016, 13:56 »
+1
Where do you think that is?? Im doing this forever and Have no clue whatsoever.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2016, 14:57 »
+2
OR....Hopefully we'll go back to the days when companies actually Hired Photographers to shoot for them.  digital came along, then Micro and everyone is a Photographer. Ya right. Digital made it to where everyone can enjoy Photography, It also killed traditional Stock work Done By a select few that made a living at it.
I think for the big users this has to happen eventually.   Can you imagine sifting through these stock libraries to get quality stuff for an ad campaign?  The only thing that worries me is the need to get my skills up to snuff before it happens.  I have a lot to learn, but I am willing to learn, willing to work, and willing to keep an eye on where the market is headed.

I don't see it going that way. We complain about more stock competition, and custom photographers and illustrators complain about the growth of stock, which is killing their business. Old fogies like me still push for custom work, but the kids coming up now were raised on stock images. That's the first place they look for ideas. Then they try to marry a clever headline to an existing image. Coming up with a fresh idea, one that's never been shot or illustrated and can't be photoshopped from existing images, is a skill they don't have and probably never will, because they never do it.

Clients expect to see concepts that look finished, with stock images already in place.

With the rise of stock video I also think commercials will go the stock route, rather than having a shoot to create custom footage. And there go all our trips to L.A. and Miami.

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2016, 19:07 »
Where do you think that is?? Im doing this forever and Have no clue whatsoever.
Still looking...but working and watching.   Unfortunately, there is a difference between willing and able.  Hoping to close the gap some day.

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2016, 19:22 »
+2
Just checked the competition. FT is a close second with 827 thousand tomatoes, followed by IS with 491 thousands, and DT showing 431 thousands. Alamy has paltry 271,550 and GI doesn't even show the count.

However, that's nothing compared with Google archive. On this January 1, 2016, Google search engine returned in 0.39 seconds over 67 million tomato pictures. Seems like a big and vibrant market.

that's mighty lots of tomatoes there circulating the Earth ;D
but maybe we are the silly ones because if no one buys tomatoes and marijuana
pictures there won't be so many out there and still growing.
imagine, i would think that pharmaceuticals (pills and birth control ) would be the most wanted
images considering man is breeding faster than rabbits  8)

but guess what, pills and birth control still got me zero in dls after xxx years in my portfolio.
as for "we already have too many of this one" button for reviewers to push,
i don't think there are any human reviewers left in ss.

just my thoughts for 2016. just try it... super sharp image side to side,
no OOF in the foreground, blue sky in the background.
approved 100% all the time.

creative focus or creative lighting , blur in background or foreground, rejection 100%
or poor composition.

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2016, 10:09 »
+1
SHUTTERSTOCK STATS: 70,158,324 royalty-free stock images / 712,500 new stock images added this week

Just for the log. Don't know what day. Dec 15th 2015.

Didn't notice, wasn't watching. Sometime in March. 3 months for 10 million new. Sept. 2016 SS will pass 100 million.

SHUTTERSTOCK STATS: 81,448,788 royalty-free stock images / 791,064 new stock images added this week

dpimborough

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2016, 13:42 »
+5
81, 91, 101, million grillion gazillion who cares ???

50% of the turds on SS can't be polished enough to make even a single sale. :o

The search is completely junked due to all the spamming.

Boy am I in a filthy mood today  ;D

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2016, 15:17 »
+2
Popular search is still ok but "new" is a complete disaster.

Buyers are surely getting fed up with so much low quality spam content.

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2016, 15:22 »
+1
If SS is now at 70 million images, why does Alamy say front page, largest collection in the world 65 million. Should somebody tell them.

Alamy claims they have the largest stock photo collection. Not images..

Rinderart

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2016, 16:41 »
+2
81, 91, 101, million grillion gazillion who cares ???

50% of the turds on SS can't be polished enough to make even a single sale. :o

The search is completely junked due to all the spamming.

Boy am I in a filthy mood today  ;D

agree.

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2016, 16:51 »
+2
As what i know Photography is art . Microstock is business.

Hence for some easy mathematical rule Microstock is not Photography
Hence the crisis of Microstock is not the crisis of Photography

+100
after all the veering and political incorrectness OT, i am glad someone is smart enough to let us know this.
yes, it has nothing to do with the myth of making "useful" pictures of pretty girl with headsets, or men in suits shaking hands. it is definitely not art, and definitely nothing to do with knowledge in photography.
it has everything to do with being lucky enough to be found in the search
while no doubt a million other better shots are buried in page 100, 1001, etc
whatever, it definitely will not have a Time-Life chapter printed in 2200 under Photography.
but it could be found in a museam in 2200 under Cat Litter and toilet paper  8)
Or as Gary Player said ...".the harder I work the luckier I get"

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2016, 02:15 »
The only way for your images to be found these days is if you upload thousands and thousands.  Or if you have been in the business a long time and you have a lot of images with hundreds or thousands of downloads.  I think that the only way my new images get found on SS and many of the other sites is because the buyer first goes to one of my bestsellers and then from there clicks through to  my newer images.  If I started out nowadays I would have given up ages ago as I would probably have sold very litle as I don't upload enough to get seen.

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2016, 21:10 »
+1
The only way for your images to be found these days is if you upload thousands and thousands.  Or if you have been in the business a long time and you have a lot of images with hundreds or thousands of downloads.  I think that the only way my new images get found on SS and many of the other sites is because the buyer first goes to one of my bestsellers and then from there clicks through to  my newer images.  If I started out nowadays I would have given up ages ago as I would probably have sold very litle as I don't upload enough to get seen.

Good thinking newer images get better placing and featured, competiton is 90 times what it was.

SHUTTERSTOCK STATS: 90,205,984 royalty-free stock images / 950,592 new stock images added this week