pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Client want the source file without any additional charges  (Read 7170 times)

« on: August 28, 2015, 08:24 »
Hi All,
This one is my image on pond5 & client purchased last night. They want me to give them the source file without any additional cost. Can you suggest what we should do?

Image: http://www.pond5.com/photo/51707567/social-media-networks.html

Regards!
Tan

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 08:57 »
+11
They want something extra at no additional charge. Perhaps they think there's no harm in asking, but I think the answer is either "no" or a price if you're willing to make it available.

I sell PSDs at Creative Market, but they're more expensive than buying a JPEG. I wouldn't sell anyone my RAW files, but people do, again for a higher price.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 11:48 »
+3
Hi All,
This one is my image on pond5 & client purchased last night. They want me to give them the source file without any additional cost. Can you suggest what we should do?

Regards!
Tan
I just wouldn't do it - period. They have a very useful file at what is already a give away price. Seriously $20 for full size? Now they want the source file. I'm LMAO.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:45 »
+6
Presumably, they knew what the deal was when they bought. So that's what they have. If they want a source file, which I assume would be something like an full size TIFF with lossless compression, then that costs more. I'd want to know what the use was I reckon as well.
I agree with Jo Ann. No way would I let them have the RAW file. Or at least not unless they wanted to pay a lot for it.

Buying the DVD of a film, doesn't get a free upgrade to Blu-Ray!  :) 

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 12:48 »
+5
Frankly you've probably just negated any profit from the download with the amount of time you've spent thinking about this. Imagine if every client asked for the same thing.

Agencies take a massive slice to deal with this BS, just ignore them.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 13:20 »
+2
Presumably, they knew what the deal was when they bought. So that's what they have. If they want a source file, which I assume would be something like an full size TIFF with lossless compression, then that costs more. I'd want to know what the use was I reckon as well.
I agree with Jo Ann. No way would I let them have the RAW file. Or at least not unless they wanted to pay a lot for it.

Buying the DVD of a film, doesn't get a free upgrade to Blu-Ray!  :)

Couldn't agree more  :)

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 13:25 »
+4
You would have to agree on the license. The file from the web site has a licence but from you does not unless you create one. So be careful of the rights you give away with a personal file transfer.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 13:57 »
+3
they most likely want to change the icons.
tell them $250 for the PSD

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 19:11 »
+4
Hi All,

Regards!
Tan

Your answer should be no. Simply no. How did the client get to you in the first place?

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 01:28 »
Hi All,

Regards!
Tan

Your answer should be no. Simply no. How did the client get to you in the first place?

P5 allows email communication with buyers/contributors via P5 web site. So be careful what you say as they can clearly see it. (this in case you try to make better deal outside of P5)

AND in general be careful what you say on forums too, as they can clearly put your files in not-that-good-container and therefore jeopardize your sales and of course vice versa, well behaved contributors will be pushed ahead, for sure.
Only super naive can believe in their "we-love-artists-fair-play-bs"...it's all marketing, crap one...of course!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:32 by KnowYourOnions »

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 14:36 »
+1

P5 allows email communication with buyers/contributors via P5 web site. So be careful what you say as they can clearly see it. (this in case you try to make better deal outside of P5)

AND in general be careful what you say on forums too, as they can clearly put your files in not-that-good-container and therefore jeopardize your sales and of course vice versa, well behaved contributors will be pushed ahead, for sure.
Only super naive can believe in their "we-love-artists-fair-play-bs"...it's all marketing, crap one...of course!

Lol, jeepers creepers man, you took conspiracy theory to 11...
Please stop doing that to yourself i literally beg you.

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 02:05 »

Says who? The best selling P5 contributor and always first in line to defend P5 nonsense. Hmmm...
If you think favoritism is impossible, you know nothing how Internet works.

AND yes, PSD for a * good price ONLY!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 03:44 by KnowYourOnions »

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 02:42 »
+1
PSD? yes, for a good price. RAW - never. Just for my sitution. Seems you can soon collect data for statistics of answers.

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 04:54 »
+1

Says who? The best selling P5 contributor and always first in line to defend P5 nonsense. Hmmm...

I decided to follow your internet advise on this based on your internetic wisdom and refrained from doing hard criticism on their forums (to the point that other contributors there frowned upon me) and started asking meaningless polite diplomatic questions a couple of weeks ago and replying with thank you's to their diplomatic answers.
And it was a miracle!
My sales picked up a week ago.
Thank you for your advise onions sensei.

P.S Shutterstock is still my best seller (with 50-70% less income though, just the way you like it).

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 10:18 »

I decided to follow your internet advise on this based on your internetic wisdom and refrained from doing hard criticism on their forums (to the point that other contributors there frowned upon me) and started asking meaningless polite diplomatic questions a couple of weeks ago and replying with thank you's to their diplomatic answers.
And it was a miracle!
My sales picked up a week ago.
Thank you for your advise onions sensei.

You are more than welcome gcrook! I ve told you so. 8)