pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: SS vs DT  (Read 8140 times)

« on: September 04, 2015, 07:01 »
I am new in SS, I come from DT.

I realized soon that my Earnings in DT are much higher than SS.....I mean that with one only credit sale in DT I can get much money than lots of subscription sales in SS.

I looked at poll result concerning earnings and I see that SS is the uncontested number one, so I wonder how is it possible??  Maybe the difference is the number of sales?

Thanks in advace

marthamarks

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 07:13 »
+2
Maybe the difference is the number of sales?

Bingo!!!

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 07:19 »
 ;D
In terms of percentage? How much?

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 07:25 »
+3
;D

For me: I earn ten (10) times more than DT !!!

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 07:32 »

[/quote]

[/quote]

woow! Congratulation

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 07:33 »
+2
For me, lifetime earnings on SS are 5.8 times more than on DT and it is probably higher recently.

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 07:58 »
For me, lifetime earnings on SS are 5.8 times more than on DT and it is probably higher recently.
5.8 is great too!

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 08:03 »
+2
If you divide 86.4 to 14.1 (from poll results) => 6.12  ;)

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 08:08 »
What does "earnings rating" mean?
For instance....86.4 for SS??

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 08:14 »
+1
My all time earnings on SS are 6,8x higher then those on DT.

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 08:52 »
+1
My total earnings at SS are 4x DT.  For the last two years, they're more than 6x.

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 09:03 »
+3
Whatever gave you this idea in the first place?  they are simply worlds apart. DT used to be a good earner but nowadays they are just pushing subs and any credit sales are almost extinct.

I don't know my ratio but I am with both agencies since 2007 and DT have never, not even once been close to SS. :)

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 10:03 »
For the first month in SS......my DT earnings = 10 times SS earnings  :)

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 10:04 »
+3
My total earnings in SS are 32x higher than DT. Needless to say, I dropped DT last year.

Rinderart

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 10:30 »
+5
Used to be right up there for years. last 3 years ...SS is 20 times better even with  there sales going down. Sad, was a good site for a long time. But, remember what sells on one site has nothing to do with what sells on another.

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 10:44 »
+1
;D

Out if my 2015 total:
49% comes from SS
3% comes from DT

See my pie.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:49 by Zero Talent »

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 15:15 »
+2
if you're a dog person, as much as ss is down in the dumps since they went public,
ss was a st bernard before that,
now a mutt.
but compared to dt, which is more like a corgi...
no, correction, an ant (which is i know not a canine, but i can't find any canine
the size of an ant from google)

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 15:36 »
+6
The bottom line on how SS sales can beat DT is that it isn't just subscriptions. On Demand and Single and other Download sales pay at much higher rates (and more so as you climb the SS earnings tiers). I still regularly get Extended Licenses at SS but can't remember the last time I did at DT.

It varies month to month, but I now see about 40% of my monthly earnings at SS come from subscriptions - the other 60% is all the other higher paying items.

I think DT is in some sort of downward spiral - they can't effectively compete and their quirky approach to pricing just hasn't worked with buyers. I earned more from them back when they paid a straight 50% and had a single tier of pricing.

memakephoto

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 16:13 »
+3
This is a funny thread.

I'll admit when I came off exclusivity with DT, the first month on Shutterstock my DT earnings were higher. Second month the 2 were neck and neck. Now however, on any average month if you were to add up the earnings from all the other sites I work with, the sum would still be a little less than half what I make on Shutterstock.

DT isn't even worth spelling out their name. My port there is larger than on Shutterstock but I haven't seen growth in 5 years. I make now what I made in 2010 and it's 1/10th what I make on Shutterstock.

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 16:22 »
if you're a dog person, as much as ss is down in the dumps since they went public,
ss was a st bernard before that,
now a mutt.
but compared to dt, which is more like a corgi...
no, correction, an ant (which is i know not a canine, but i can't find any canine
the size of an ant from google)

I know a girl with a 1.5 lb. Mini chihuahua she carries in her purse (hope that thing is house trained good!).  Not as small as a ant, but the best dog example for DT sales.  ;D

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 00:13 »
+3
On an average month my portfolio earns more in one day on SS than the whole month on DT.

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 02:05 »
+2
I've always had good search placement in the searches at DT so my lifetime (about10 years) earnings are only about 50% more at SS and most of that lead has been gained in the last couple of years.  Nowadays I make between 4 and 5 times more at SS than I do at DT.

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 08:38 »
+2
My total earnings at SS are 4x DT.  For the last two years, they're more than 6x.

That's about exactly my composition.  But with SS I am starting to see a decline, too. For example, I really only get 3-4 strong days of the week now and my monthly income has WILD swings (over a grand in one month to just over $500 in another month). This isn't just the last few month. It's been for the last year. If I pull out video, it is much worse. Video has helped me sustain my averages but without it, I could make the factual claim that my sales are down 30% from, say, two years ago.  Holistically, this is a result of the crowdsourcing we are all experiencing.  All that goes through my mind these days is "how can I create differentiation" and "what are the BEST keywords to use".  Of course volume plays a role, too, but I have a day job as well so that makes it tough. I am seeing the same thing on DT, longer periods between OD sales and fewer of them. Last month was a disaster on DT....around $70. Previous month nearly $200, prior month around $80, and the month before that $65. Big swings.

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 09:41 »
+4
The pattern is all the same no matter which stock model. The same thing is happening right across the board. Getty is a classic example of this. Some fifteen years back one often had sales-advices of a five figure caliber, today its pot luck if its around a four figure amount.

SS and the rest is just following the trend of slowly coming down to smaller earnings. The hype is gone, most quality have vanished and given way to quantity and I bet every one of the larger micro's have internal problems, old people leaving replaced by new and without experience, cutting wages and so on.

Its all become a shakey and edgy business. What amazes me more then anything is not at all the drop in earnings or anything money related but the complete ignorance of the people in charge. Slowly killing the business and in a few years they, themselves might be out of a high-flying job.

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2015, 12:27 »
+3
DT may now stand for DownTurn.

Sponsors

Mega Bundle of 5,900+ Professional Lightroom Presets

Microstock Poll Results

Sponsors