pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: 900K $ stock photo!!!  (Read 5083 times)

« on: September 24, 2015, 22:59 »

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 23:12 »
+1
Thing is it wasn't at 25 cent downloads or even the all coveted ELs that got him to $900k.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 23:56 »
+1
Maybe he was at .33 level...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 01:14 »
+6
The article says he created the image in 1998. 1998 was several lifetimes ago in the stock photo industry. What was quite possible then is not at all likely today.

As a matter of fact, today I received a royalty statement from a large macro agent and I saw that I had made several .04 sales on images that I had traveled half way around the world to get. Yep, 4 cents. I can tell you from experience that wouldn't have happened in 1998!

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 01:39 »
+2
Back in 98 the average price for a stock photo was hundreds of dollars. Big difference from today. Back in 1999, GI sold me a picture of the interiors of a bank for. $. 7000. LOL that would never, ever happen today.

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 01:56 »
+3
Back in 1998 I was considered cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justanotherphotographer

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 02:02 »
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:24 by Justanotherphotographer »

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 08:20 »
+2
He has a gorgeous portfolio and licenses stock via Corbis and Tandem.
Nearly $1 Million for one photo in nearly 20 years is still quite impressive. It's a great concept image. I doubt you'd earn that even with a great shot taken/composed today but given his credentials and portfolio I'd guess he still does well. 

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 09:00 »
+1
Just shows you how clever composites can earn lots of money. Funny thing is that categories like travel, nature, landscapes even wildlife have little by little declined as stock over the years. There are of course millions and millions of these type of images in all the stock-agencies.
A friend of mine who worked with GI told me the images that nowadays bring in the most money per/image are lifestyles, industrial/corporate, business and models.

You have to admire these people though, wildlife, nature photographers. They are exclusivly in the hands of weather and wind, sometimes dangerous places. They really takes risks getting their pictures.

How about war photographers then? I used to know one, Don MacCullin, he shot incredible war photography, member of Magnum. I think he got hit by stray bullets every now and then. Great photographer.

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 12:36 »
+1
Back in 1998 I was just 16 years young, just beginning my Photoshop journey in high school computer-art class (no lie; that's what it was called...)

LOL

Good for this dude.  Smart guy, that he took a hot-selling concept and made multiple versions.  Vertical, horizontal, centered, etc.  We need to get the most bang for our buck on our hottest selling concept images.  It's one thing to make several variations.  Totally another to make 200 of the same concept.  That's just stupidity.

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 12:46 »
+1
It's a beautiful composite image, and it's conceptual...it can stand for so many things. I'd be curious to know how much he actually made from it, though. It brought in $900,000 in revenue, but most of that probably went to commissions at the agencies who licensed it, and also, as he mentioned, "marketing the heck out of it." Also, there was a team involved...the photographer, the retouchers and the marketer who thought up the idea. I wonder how they splt the royalties.

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 02:43 »
Nowadays it would be rejected at SS for 'poor lighting' and 'out of focus'.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 05:09 »
+2
Nowadays it would be rejected at SS for 'poor lighting' and 'out of focus'.

Nowadays there are much better cameras and better post processing techniques.

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 12:14 »
It is up on the wall my doc's clinic in the hospital :)

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 08:59 »
That is really impressive, but today not possible anymore :D
i started 20 years too late with stock :D

Sponsors

Mega Bundle of 5,900+ Professional Lightroom Presets

Microstock Poll Results

Sponsors