MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Help me to choose my first DSLR  (Read 7830 times)

« on: September 29, 2015, 06:34 »
Till now i was uploading images from my galaxy s4 and old fuji with a small sensor and i think i need an upgrade.
As a begginer in photography i want to choose one of those :  Nikon d3300, Canon eos 700d or Nikon d7000 , their price are almost the same in my country and i need you to help me to choose one of them and help me with choosing good lens ( i heard the kit lens arent so brilliant) .
I like to photograph landscapes, people , portraits , closeup photos of little animals or things like that.
I hope this information will help you to help me.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:26 »
The cameras you are looking at are included in this dpreview buyer's guide

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1666406643/enthusiast-dslr-roundup

You might also want to look at the "enthusiast" DSLR roundup

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1666406643/enthusiast-dslr-roundup

Fred Miranda's site has good lens reviews - if you want to buy just one lens to cover all the subjects you list, inevitably you'll have to compromise to get something that is decent all around

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/index.php

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 10:57 »
Canon 6d or nikon d610 or sony a7, dont buy anything cheaper.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 12:42 »
+2
Why??
Your first dslr was one of these camera too?

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 12:48 »
+1
sooner or later you will uploading more, then  rejection comes,noise can be problematic .   you need shallow depth of field,sharpness, colors,...

buy good 50mm lens also.

Why??
Your first dslr was one of these camera too?

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 12:57 »
What's your budget?

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 13:34 »

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 14:30 »
+2
What's your budget?
600$
That's a very low budget.  One of the cameras you mentioned with a kit lens is about all you can afford, there isn't much difference between them really.  For me it's necessary to have a good tripod (300-600 dollar range, most anything less is not going to be a good buy and you'll end up replacing it eventually), a good polarizer, memory cards, some type of bag, photo editing software, etc... things add up quickly.

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 18:48 »
I've  done quite  well with a Sony A6000. This little camera can get the job done. I didn't buy it for stock photography but some of my best sellers have come from it. It's a great carry around camera also.

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 03:12 »
+3

Ridiculous  :o

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 05:56 »
+1
Hi nadavgs, for sure you don't have to go full frame right at the beginning. So proposing a Canon 6D as a "start up" machine doesn't make sense.
Try finding a small Nikon like 5200/5300 and get it with the 18-105 mm kit lens. This lens performs quite good and it is affordable. When you earn
your first dollars you can think about getting some prime lenses, maybe the 50 mm f/1.8 or the 35 mm f/1.8. It all depends on your preferences.
Those two lenses aren't too expensive. Or maybe have a look at the m43 camera range where you can surely get a used Olympus EM 5 / EM 10 for small money.
And then try to master Photoshop. This is essential  :D

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 05:28 »

Hi nadavgs, for sure you don't have to go full frame right at the beginning. So proposing a Canon 6D as a "start up" machine doesn't make sense.
Try finding a small Nikon like 5200/5300 and get it with the 18-105 mm kit lens. This lens performs quite good and it is affordable. When you earn
your first dollars you can think about getting some prime lenses, maybe the 50 mm f/1.8 or the 35 mm f/1.8. It all depends on your preferences.
Those two lenses aren't too expensive. Or maybe have a look at the m43 camera range where you can surely get a used Olympus EM 5 / EM 10 for small money.
And then try to master Photoshop. This is essential  :D

I can get the d5200 with 18-55 vr i or d3300 with 18-55 vr ii lens , and i dont know if it worth it but i can add 100$ to get the sony a6000 with kit lens.
Will i get a lot of rejection with these camera?
These cameras will help me get much better sale? (Now im getting on fotolia maybe 2 sales per week with smarphone shots)

P.s i already know how to use photoshop , i design logos and banners and i made a lot of soccer art, i will upload my deviantart when i will be on the computer and the fotolia portfolio too

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 16:31 »
+2
Nikon D7000 is great camera, much more better then 3000 series (2 lvls higher). Not sure about Canon as I am shooting with Nikon. Main question is, do you have people around you (family, friends etc.) more Nikon or Canon? Can you borrow some equipement from them? If so, do they have Nikons or Canons? Because Nikon and Canon quality is +- same. Just need to choose one system, based on what people have around you so you can share/borrow some equipement. also someone can be a little more comfortable with one brand controls, someone with other. Maybe go to shop, try them in hand and maybe you will choose Nikon vs Canon quite quicly. Than choose model you can buy.

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 16:39 »
+1
sooner or later you will uploading more, then  rejection comes,noise can be problematic .   you need shallow depth of field,sharpness, colors,...

buy good 50mm lens also.

Well 50mm lens could be good for portrait and because is cheap. But rest is not true. He is not shooting sport, fast movement in bad light, wild animals. Almost everything he described to shoot is possible capture easily from tripod or with aditional lights, reflection etc. So ISO and noise will be not problem. Dept of field, sharpness and colors are good on all cameras he noticed. Pro equipement does shooting a little easier sometimes, but not always and more important are ideas and hands that holding camera ;)

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 19:56 »
LENS: Dont underestimate the power of the kit lens.

It is a kit lens. It is mass produced and cheap, because its mass produced.
I had one once, and it served me well in stockphotography and has the perfect zoom range for many things stockish.
A zoom is much more effecient at producing stock than a fixed lens, as you simply get many more different cuts out of the same subject, and you can work faster.

CAMERA? Go for a camera that can also make video and timelapses. The bigger sensor the better, the more pixels the better, because again, you can crop frames out that each make a individual picture.

With stock photos its not so much about the quality of the camera and equipment, but more the ability to frame salesworthy selections of the world and certainly the ability to master photoshop. And yes Photoshop elements is enough and will make it you able to make world class imagery.

Stock photograpy is about having skils in 3 separate areas: photography, of course, but also being able to photoshop a certain style, but most important is to be able to photograph keywords so your content stands out clear in the searches.

Sponsors

Mega Bundle of 5,900+ Professional Lightroom Presets

Microstock Poll Results

Sponsors